Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

ashkent wrote:
I had one of my moments this morning whilst in the bath and I was wondering if anyone else can identify with this...

For as far back as I can remember, every now and again, usually when I'm feeling a little depressed, I find myself with a longing to "go home." I'll sit there repeating to myself "I want to go home, I just want to go home". Except... I am already in my own home (wherever that happened to be at the time).

This morning was one of those times. I was in the bath, (my bath in my own house where I've lived for over two years, in the town I grew up in and a couple of miles from my parent's house- the house I grew up in) saying over and over that I want to go home.

I have no idea where this "home" is, all I do know is, at the time, is where I want to be. It's the exact same feeling as when you are somewhere else and have had enough of whatever you're doing and are ready to retreat.

What's it all about eh?

Home is where my bed, my protein powder, my pets, and my coffeemaker is.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm

When I was a kid, I used to say I wanted to go home when I was stressed out, even if I was in my own home. It confused my parents when I did this.I think that saying of feeling this is an automated response that your brain makes when you are stressed. It is a coping strategy that brings you to a safe place when your mind is overwhelmed. The "home" may be no specific, physical place, rather it is a safe, calm state of mind.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2014, 1:44 am

"I want to go home!"

That's how I feel after 15 minutes in a mall, or an hour or so anywhere else.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 1:59 am

Yes, I have found myself saying this before, when everything just feels "too much" and "wrong."

This website is called WrongPlanet for a reason--the feeling of simply not belonging here and wanting to go back to wherever you DO belong.... :(

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2014, 5:02 am

wow. that has always been my meltdown mantra... repeating "I wanna go home"... I never thought other people say it too though. in my case, it never meant anything spiritual. I just wanted things to stop being so awful in that moment -- the feeling that elicits that mantra is a sort of panicked despair.

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2014, 5:15 am

I used to have bad dreams where I was running down a street pass lots of houses screaming "I want to go home" but I didn't know where my home was.

I used to wake up in a panic. It was scary.

I think they might be from feeling insecure and knowing I will never be able to afford to buy my own house. Renting makes me feel very insecure. I haven't had these dreams since I moved away from my hometown 3 years ago.

LongleafPine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2014, 6:22 pm

Oh, I want to go home too-to a place where I'm protected and accepted and can rest from life! My personal childhood home wasn't like that, yet when my father sold our childhood home (I was over 50 at the time) , I felt devastated-"I can never go home." It was so embarrassing to feel that way, yet in talking other people (mostly NTs) about this weird reaction, they'd had the same feeling if their childhood home was no longer available-no matter how old, high-functioning and successful they might be, they want to go home too, where they can be taken care of.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 1:48 am

conundrum wrote:
Yes, I have found myself saying this before, when everything just feels "too much" and "wrong."

This website is called WrongPlanet for a reason--the feeling of simply not belonging here and wanting to go back to wherever you DO belong.... :(

This

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 5:03 am

I that too. It's a safety and security thing.

Wreck It Ralph

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 1:16 pm

Maybe we're all from a different time and place.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 2:07 pm

Ive had that too. I say it, not thinking of WHAT home is, but SO desperately longing for it.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 6:25 pm

I get that too. I know I want it but I don't know where it is. I tend to feel more like home when I am on holiday rather than when I am actually at home.