Is Maladaptive daydreaming common with Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

c0bo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2014, 2:36 pm

Is Maladaptive daydreaming common with Aspergers? I ask this because I have Aspergers and I forever daydreaming. Wherever I am I always have my head in the clouds. One day I was at a shopping centre and I was justing standing in a spot just daydreaming and woman asked if I was alright.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm

Not sure if I have Aspergers but It's very common for me, even if I'm doing something I just can't stop thinking :?.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 4:30 pm

When I was in junior high and high school, I would spend about twelve hours a day, six days a week for much of the summer driving tractors. Most of my time on the tractor was spent engaged in daydreaming to try to make the day pass by faster.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 5:06 pm

Let's face it reality sucks, so why not leave it behind and live in a fantasy world? I do, lots of times.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

VioletShadows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2014, 5:57 pm

I think it is, maybe not common but more likely than an allistic person having it. I'm an Aspie and I have it, and I know a few more people like me, but also I know of a dreamer who isn't an Aspie.

Aspie and proud- most of the time.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 7:10 pm

"Earth to [birthname]. Earth to [birthname]". Come in [birthname]. Do you read me [birthname]?" Is something I heard way too often when I was a kid. It seemed like my head was always in the clouds and it still is.

I'm not a maladaptive daydreamer but I'm always in my head in a possibly maladaptive way. I just don't have a fantasy world that I've created (that's why I don't consider it daydreaming) and I envy those that do. If I had a fantasy world with a bunch of characters in it that occupied my time whenever I'm in my head I'd call it daydreaming but I just call it visualizing. All I do is play out conversations I might never have in my head and fantasize about doing and saying things. I get so deep in it that I often make facial expressions and gestures in response to my visualization while forgetting that there are people around me. I must look weird. I even say things out loud every so often which makes it seem like I'm talking to myself. I don't call it daydreaming though because it's very realistic. Dreams aren't so realistic.

charlottez
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2014, 7:22 pm

All the time.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 8:24 pm

I make up my own stories in my head all the time, the only times I really do it though, is on transport and at night, got to do something to keep your mind preoccupied. A lot of the time I prefer thinking in my own head than talking to people. I actually look forward to getting the train home on my own so I can imagine things.

I am not sure if that exactly counts as maladaptive daydreaming.