Does anyone else have trouble tying knots?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 10:19 am

I am absolutely horrible and knots and tying my shoelaces. I almost turned down an invite to go rock climbing (for free) because I was so worried about exposing my lack of skills. Then I thought "who cares? I have a ton of skills many would only dream of!"

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 10:44 am

Not only do I have trouble tying knots but I find it very difficult to roll up a hose.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 11:13 am

gertie1999 wrote:
Yes!! I'm 15 and STILL Don't know how to tie my shoes or knots in general!

I'm 48 and still have difficulties tying my shoelaces. I guess I'm in good company :D

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 11:25 am

I think knot. My stomach gets tied up in knots all the time.

Psychedelic67
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2014, 12:43 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
When I was younger I never learned how to tie my shoes properly either, and I ended up just inventing my own way of tying them. The way people showed me just did not make sense.

Same. I couldn't figure out how to tie my shoes until when I was around 9, and, at that point, I was so fed up with people trying to teach me how to tie my shoes that I figured out my own way. It works completely fine.

As for tying knots in general, I have difficulties with those as well. I remember when I first became interested in horse riding, I had a very hard time remembering how to tie a quick release knot (which is used to tie horses to objects). I eventually learned how to tie a quick release knot, but I still have problems with it every once in a while.

Ron5442
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2014, 1:20 pm

Not only does it take forever for me to learn a new knot, if I don't constantly use it, I forget how to do it and it takes forever to relearn.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2014, 5:37 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Not only do I have trouble tying knots but I find it very difficult to roll up a hose.

Plastic hoses do not roll up easily because they have a 'memory'. Always coil rope (or hose) towards a free end, so that the kinks will fall out naturally rather than accumulate at the fixed end. With vacuum cleaners and electric irons, always start coiling the wire from the appliance end, and the free end (with the plug) will then hang naturally.

When you tie a bow in your shoe laces, remember the rules for tying a reef knot (a bow is nothing but a 'slipped' reef knot) - 'left over right then under, right over left then under' (or vice versa). When you form the bunnies' ears, after the initial cross-over-and-under, make sure that you cross them over (and then under) in the opposite order to which you made the original cross-over. Geddit?

I will be happy, upon request, to explain the difference between a knot, a bend and a hitch, and if you want to tie a bowline, then it really is not necessary to pass the the rope around your waist first...

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 6:08 pm

I'm better at untying knots than tying them, that's for sure.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2014, 6:56 pm

SameStars, yes, both having trouble with knots and having trouble learning to tell time from a clock face are definitely Aspie traits. Those are only two among many! :)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 3:37 am

If you can't tie knots, tie lots! :D

I don't usually have trouble with knots themselves once I've learned them.. but I did have trouble using my fingers to tie my own shoes at one point a couple years ago when my fine motor skills were completely shot.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 9:38 am

I remember they actually taught us how to read analog clocks back in 2nd grade, and I don't recall struggling with it any more than the other kids who didn't know how to read them at first, though it took me a while to catch onto it well enough for day-to-day use.

I've actually heard that a lot of non-autistic kids struggle with reading analog clocks as well, and that it's mainly just a generational thing, like being able to dial a rotary phone.

I was fortunate enough as a kid that I was taught how to dial a rotary phone and how to use MS-DOS. Those are two things most people my age don't know how to do! ;)

sadaspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2014, 5:33 pm

I had trouble tying my shoes in elementary school when most of the other kids already knew how to do it. I remember asking people to tie my shoes in elementary school and they didn't seem to believe that I really could not do it myself. One time I was at lunch recess and I asked one of the yard duty ladies to tie my shoes. She did but at the same time she said, "You know how to tie your shoes, you just want me to bend over and do that, right?"
I also tried to invent my own way of doing it but it made the knots look weird and I did not like the way it looked. Eventually I did learn how to do it the right way but I guess it took a very, very long time.

Cardia

04 May 2016, 1:03 am

I am terrible with any sort of fancy knot.
Somehow I ended up learning to tie my shoelaces in the second grade, yet I took longer to learn how to tie a nice-looking double knot when the laces are too long. I remember being a kid and experiencing a ton of anxiety when other girls my age would be able to braid these intricate bracelets made out of rubber (forget the name) and I just was never able to spatially orient my fingers in the right ways. I would start one but never be able to finish :(

Side question: has anyone had to re-lace a running shoe? I just realized I have never had to do this, as I take good care of my shoes. :o

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2016, 1:32 am

I don't have any problems with tying knots, as I learned how to tie a few of them in Girl Scouts. The trouble with knot tying isn't an Aspie trait I have, but I have plenty of other traits that allowed me to be diagnosed.

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2016, 3:47 am

I couldn't tie my shoes until I was 16 years old and when I finally tied them I was very ecstatic with myself.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2016, 5:42 pm

It seems that tying shoelaces can become a special interest: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm :-)

That Web site of "Professor Shoelace" is seriously knotty.