Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 7:02 pm

little_blue_jay wrote:
Oh boy yes.

I am constantly walking into door frames that I can very well see coming :roll:

Every so often I'll find a bruise on my thigh or shin that I'll have no clue what caused it.

One time I stubbed my toe on the edge of the bathtub, the same tub I've been getting into just fine for 2 years, and nearly did a face plant into the hard plastic lining of the shower stall.

I'm only 37 and I've slipped in the shower and fell (years ago, a different apartment) and I wonder how I'll manage to bathe when I'm 90 8O

My proprioception is terrible. I bang empty glasses and plates down too hard when putting them away. I've tripped in broad daylight on the edges of curbs.

I've stubbed my toes on the coffee table or furniture more times than I can count.

But then I do have a balance problem...

Yeah ive been thinking about this as well. Because im sadly seen many old neighbours come and go. I mean sure they were old like 70-80 years old. But it never fails. They fall injure them self, never recovers and dies. which is pretty tragic and sad. Ill definitely have to get my act together, But at that age it doesnt take much.

Riikka
Raven
Raven

20 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

Definitely! I?m also one of those people who find bruises on their body all the time and don?t know how they?ve gotten there. And I feel like I?m constantly dropping things on the floor, although I do have pretty good reflexes so I manage to catch a good proportion of the stuff that I?m about to drop before they actually hit the floor. It?s a split second alternation of emotions from ?Oh my gosh I?m clumsy!? :( to ?Damn, I have good reflexes!? :)

I have found that certain forms of exercise, like martial arts and dancing or even yoga can really improve proprioception and general clumsiness. I?m still very clumsy, but I remember being a lot worse too.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 3:05 pm

I am very clumsy. I trip over nothing quite a lot, when I walk I have to constantly think to pick my feet up. I can't walk in a straight line. I don't have great depth perception either. I miss door handles every so often and walk straight into the door. Though I hill walk and I'm a hell of a lot less clumsy when walking over rocks and heather than I am on flat ground. Unless I have to cross a stream then I can't do it to save my life.

Ron5442
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2014, 10:15 am

I've never been very coordinated and am terrible at sports. I do a lot of things to compensate for the coordination problem. Whenever possible I drink out of a spill proof container (sports bottle, travel mug) and never leave an open container on the counter. When I'm sitting on the sofa, I put my drink on the floor instead of on a table. I put all the eating utensils in the dishwasher, with the points facing down; I make sure all knives in the kitchen drawer have their cutting edge pointing at the bottom of the drawer. I wash carving knives with a long handled brush so I don't have to get my fingers too close to the sharp edge. I put things in the middle of a table instead of near the edge. When I'm cooking, I always put the handle of the pan over the stove top instead of sticking out over the edge. I spend a lot of care and effort trying to protect myself from myself.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm

Yes, and regularly get the black and blue marks to prove it. Sometimes, I have NO idea how they got there.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 12:59 am

Ron5442 wrote:
I've never been very coordinated and am terrible at sports. I do a lot of things to compensate for the coordination problem. Whenever possible I drink out of a spill proof container (sports bottle, travel mug) and never leave an open container on the counter. When I'm sitting on the sofa, I put my drink on the floor instead of on a table. I put all the eating utensils in the dishwasher, with the points facing down; I make sure all knives in the kitchen drawer have their cutting edge pointing at the bottom of the drawer. I wash carving knives with a long handled brush so I don't have to get my fingers too close to the sharp edge. I put things in the middle of a table instead of near the edge. When I'm cooking, I always put the handle of the pan over the stove top instead of sticking out over the edge. I spend a lot of care and effort trying to protect myself from myself.

These are pretty good tips. Sounds like you should be teaching a class - "Aspie Safety Techniques".

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.