Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2014, 1:41 am

The meltdowns have been getting far more frequent and far far worse. My meltdowns tend to be very physical and that's getting worse. I just feel myself getting more and more overwhelmed and I snap. Luckily I live in a 24hour supported home which I have an individual flat in that is designed for adults with complex difficulties including being on the spectrum with co-morbid mental illness so they are helping but I am terrified and it's taking it's toll. How do others cope when it's getting really really bad again? I would have succeeded in breaking my leg last week without staff stepping in, I am 99.9 percent sure of it as are they.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 3:34 am

Anything in particular trigger this? Did they change your meds recently? Has someone you love died, or did you have a falling out with someone?

Things like this often have a cause.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2014, 5:38 pm

I agree about looking for a cause. I started getting severe and frequent meltdowns from Adjustment Disorder exacerbating my autism. Risperdal has helped immensely, since I unfortunately can't get away from what's causing the Adjustment Disorder yet.

Also, you might want to get some blood tests (complete blood count, glucose, thyroid hormones, etc.) to rule out a physical cause. Thyroid disease in specific can really wreak havoc with the mind, so make sure to get TSH, T4, and T3 tested. (Many doctors will only test TSH, which isn't necessarily reliable.)

If the meltdowns tend to happen a few hours after meals or when you're hungry, and especially if eating something sugary relieves them, it could be reactive hypoglycemia. Good luck!

psot2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2014, 5:43 pm

You need to look for the trigger. I never have meltdowns, but I do have anxiety and I didn't know where it came from. When I started using ear plugs throughout the day my anxiety subsided significantly, so there must be something about the general noise that bothered me without me even being aware of it.

My brother has deep pressure problems, and he has very severe meltdowns. I've never seen anyone harm themselves as much as he did. Could deep pressure possibly be the cause for you? He does many things to self-sooth like wrapping his wrists very tightly with his shirt sleeves and always walking around the house with a blanket wrapped around him like a superhero cloak.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 6:20 pm

I've been having meltdowns too. My mom has threatened to call the police on me if I have more meltdowns. However, I do agree about looking for a cause. If you feel that people are pressuring you, then get away from such people as quick as you can.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 3:42 am

I was in supported housing (initially high level supported housing but then I moved to medium-level) but it was primarily for people with mental illness not really autism (I am not impressed by the London Borough of Merton, they didn't even try to offer me any autism services; my dad has to pay privately for my autism support now).

The people in the supported housing drove me so mad that I was sectioned four times in one year at one point, all by the police and involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric ward.

I have been admitted on section to secure units before because of how severe my meltdowns get (I was becoming unmanageable).

The two main things that have prevented any more hospital / secure unit admissions are 1) moving out of supported housing and living on my own with 4 times weekly support from outreach and 2) getting away from my abusive, often drunk, mother.

If something is triggering you a lot, you need to get away from it.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 7:11 pm

Rattus wrote:
The meltdowns have been getting far more frequent and far far worse. My meltdowns tend to be very physical and that's getting worse. I just feel myself getting more and more overwhelmed and I snap. Luckily I live in a 24hour supported home which I have an individual flat in that is designed for adults with complex difficulties including being on the spectrum with co-morbid mental illness so they are helping but I am terrified and it's taking it's toll. How do others cope when it's getting really really bad again? I would have succeeded in breaking my leg last week without staff stepping in, I am 99.9 percent sure of it as are they.

I'm not a psychologist, but from my experience, meltdowns happen because you're not in touch with your feelings and what causes them until it's too late. I didn't realize this when I was having meltdowns, but I did realize that meltdowns were socially unacceptable, so I turned to unhealthy behaviors--no better than meltdowns. Now I am trying to learn to keep in touch with reality instead of being in denial of what's happening. Then I can problem-solve.