How to explain autism to someone very ignorant?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 11:34 am

corvuscorax wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:
How to explain autism to someone very ignorant?

i do not have to explain anything to anyone. it is up to them to learn what they need to know. if i was not alive, i am sure their lives would be the same.

While I think the person that OP is dealing with is definitely not someone worth wasting time on, this is really not a good way of thinking.

People are different. It's not just an aspie thing where people don't understand those who are more different from them. It's important for people to understand who we are and understand that we are different, and how our differences do not make us any more or less valuable of a person.

i do not understand why i must be understood by someone else in order to live a valid existence.
the world is "out there" and there are billions of thinkers who think what they will, but i remain isolated from it all. i do care about other peoples level of happiness but that is about all i can muster on the empathy front.

Quote:
I'm a pretty vocal ally of the blind community and the first thing that they want more than anything else is to be treated as equals -
equals to who? who do they consider to be normal? people that can see? what makes vision so important in the formulation of ideas?

whatever. i see what i see without the endorsement of anyone else, and i am happy and stable in my mind, and i see no reason to share what is sacred to me with the masses of other humans on the planet because they do not think like i do.

Quote:
they know they're different but people don't understand their differences and therefore make false judgement. If you ever saw a blind person and helped them with something without asking, some people think that's demeaning. Should they expect you to know better? Of course not, they know that people don't know any better - they might get irritable but they may also explain to others that they are very capable of doing what they're doing. Do not punish those who are unwillingly ignorant, educate them so that they can be enlightened into understanding what ASD is and therefore treat you and those with ASD in the future with respect.

This sort of attitude only broods more ignorance.

i understand. i am not a very nice person, but i do not in any way affect other people's lives.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2014, 11:37 am

Well, you can't really expect things to get better for yourself if you expect everyone around you to automatically understand every issue that you have. I know that's a thing for autism and I think we all flub on it sometimes but it's fundamental for obtaining support from others. If you do not care, then that's fine, but for others that's really not good advice, since a lot of people do care.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 11:43 am

corvuscorax wrote:
Well, you can't really expect things to get better for yourself if you expect everyone around you to automatically understand every issue that you have. I know that's a thing for autism and I think we all flub on it sometimes but it's fundamental for obtaining support from others. If you do not care, then that's fine, but for others that's really not good advice, since a lot of people do care.

that is a comprehensive appraisal of the matter.
i do not care so it is time for me to say "good night".

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 1:08 pm

sharkattack wrote:
My advice is you should ditch this friend.

I agree with sharkattack. This guy sounds like a real douche (mind my language) if you ask me. I wouldn't waste my time with someone who can't accept me for who I am. There's no reason you should be friends with someone who can't accept you for those same reasons.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

I agree with everyone saying block him. He's just using you as his plaything. If he gets abusive or cries to mommy, save some of his abusive texts as proof. He sounds like a predator, and when predators hear someone has an ASD they just see someone who's good prey. Also has this "friend" been put in Special Ed and that's why his mom suggested hebe your friend? You need to go against your kinder instincts and learn to say no to interacting with these kinds of people.

snufkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2014, 7:51 am

I agree with those who advice that you should get rid of this friend. Although I also want to give an answer to the original question, since I think that could be helpful to others in similiar situations.

I don't think, in this case, that explaining autism to the ignorant person is the best way to solve the problem. I think a better way to go at it is to just explain how it affects this particular situation. (You don't even have to mention autism at all.) For example, you could say something like: "I don't have a need for constant socializing, and it can even make me tired and stressed out. If you want to be my friend, you need to back off a bit, or if you can't respect that, I will not be able to be your friend anymore."

Also, if he gets abusive when you try to "break up" with him, just state calmly that you won't stand for that kind of harassment, and if he keeps it up you'll have to contact the authorities.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 8:21 am

You could employ an old NT trick and lie to him.

Tell him your phone is on its way out and you'll soon need to get another one but will have a different number and that you will text him when you get the new phone and don't text him.

Then just ignore his texts. If he keeps sending them and gets no reply, he'll think you got a new phone with a new number and that you're not receiving the texts and will give up.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 10:15 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
You could employ an old NT trick and lie to him.
don't lie. it leads to all sorts of trouble. just tell him you are not interested and do not even tell him why.
if he is a freak, then the police may be called in to assist, but just own yourself and do not give yourself to any one or anything.

ImAnAspie wrote:
Tell him your phone is on its way out and you'll soon need to get another one but will have a different number and that you will text him when you get the new phone and don't text him.

Then just ignore his texts. If he keeps sending them and gets no reply, he'll think you got a new phone with a new number and that you're not receiving the texts and will give up.

what a web of lies. i could not carry that out.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 10:16 pm

Thank you b9

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 1:37 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
I've been ignoring his texts although he got quite vicious verbally in one text.

Let the police know about him, especially if he threatens you. You shouldn't have to put up with constant harassment, and you shouldn't feel coerced to be his "friend".