Writers: Writing what you are told to

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:09 pm

Do you ever struggle with being told what to write? For example, say someone told you to write a story about a princess and a unicorn or something. Is it hard for you to come up with a story using what they said? Do you find it easier to write only your own ideas? I'm jsut curious if this might have anything to do with autism. It's something I struggle with greatly because I just can't seem to do it no matter how hard I try. D:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:28 pm

I think I could write a story on what I'm told to write about. I have a very creative and imaginative mind, so if somebody told me to write a story about a princess and a unicorn I would think up some sort of story about a princess and a unicorn. I like my stories to involve a lot of social interaction, so I'll probably end up making the princess and the unicorn have an argument or something, over some sort of ''secrets and lies'' feud.

Although I have a creative mind, I don't write a lot of stories about fantasy. I'm more of a true-life kind of person, but I love to make up characters and their names and make up story lines as I go along. I am better at writing stories in first person, rather than third person.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:58 pm

When I worked as a technical writer in Silicon Valley and Utah, I used to complain to those (family and friends) who imagined Ernest Hemingway when I told them that I was a tech writer that I "created on demand." It was boring and tedious, and I couldn't care less about the subject matter. But, my knowledge of writing style and technique made my books easier to understand than most others.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 5:07 pm

I am no writer, but I do paint.
Some people like my paintings very much and there is an editorial office who wants to make postcards from it, and also grafics for a book
and I fail, because when they choose me it was based on what came up in my imagination,
and now I have to do what being asked,
and it's very hard,
I try and make very little progress,
and I am having meltdowns sometimes because my brain is numb.
Though I want to find a way to fulfill my assignment.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Oct 2014, 5:23 pm

Writing to please anybody is instant death.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 5:45 pm

I used to, but the more I spent time writing the more I was able to actively mold ideas and branch out. I'm happy to write what I'm told for money here and there.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 5:57 pm

How hard it is depends on the task given, but it's definitely much easier to write something that is my own idea!
In elementary school I could pretty much make a story out of anything, but from my teen years I found that harder and needed a task that fit me in order to write well. That kinda makes sense since more was expected. There was enormous difference in how I wrote when the task was a good fit for me (pretty dang good TBH), and the tasks I had to do because that was the assignment (mediocre and often rather empty of content).
We could often choose between 2, 3 or 4 different assignments, and what they were would really make or break my grade.

I also write a lot better when I write freely than when I translate something.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 5:59 pm

I like to be told what to do. I like to paint and do other art projects, but if someone tells me what to do, then I have a starting point, and I can use problem solving and my ideas to finish it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 6:11 pm

i suffer from a dearth of ideas, so i appreciate it when someone gives me a starting point. i used to belong to a writer's group. every month there was a writing prompt. i found those exercises to be useful.

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2014, 9:22 pm

It's not that hard, start writing about yourself, your life, now create a character you would like to be, one you wouldn't... and thats how start a story, or part of it :p

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2014, 8:54 am

Generally, at school, I can write on a given topic or with given elements. The problems come when I have no relevant experiences and it's supposed to be a true personal story (like the one about a substitute teacher you've had who could keep the class in order; I've never had such a sub) or when I'm told what side I have to argue.

snufkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2014, 7:59 am

I often find it extremely difficult to write about a subject that someone else has given me, probably because without personal interest in the subject I have no frame of reference to draw from at all.

Both my mother and my little brother also have the same problem. I think my mother is somewhat autistic, and my brother definately is.

Many autistics have a really hard time doing anything they can't find the motivation to do. It has to be meaningful. I think that is what, in many cases, can lead to this inability to write about some made-up topic, since it doesn't feel meaningful for the person who is given the task.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2014, 11:05 am

I find it more difficult to write about a topic given to me than it is to come up with my own. I love creative writing and have a lot of story ideas from my own imagination.