What are you working as/planning to work as?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 5:53 pm

I couldn't survive retail and working with the public, so I started doing what some artist and musician friends of mine had done to pay the bills: self employed domestic cleaning. Yes, it's not glamorous, and yes it's hard work. But the upsides I'm grateful for is that I'm my own boss, I work for a set roster of clients, and if I can't stand someone I can quit that one customer and find someone nicer to show up for every week. Another upside is that it's ideal when the home owners are never at home because they are out working themselves. I get to be all alone to do my work and then let myself out.

The work is boring, tedious, repetitive and often physically grinding and tiring. There's no pension and no paid sick days or paid vacation time. If you don't work you don't get paid. But the trade off is no boss per se, no public contact, you get to choose your customers who become your set appointments, no co-workers, no management, no set timetables just make sure you do the hours you've promised and are being paid for, and no having to take the job home with you. You're in a different place every day although within a rotation of places. But it's nice not to feel trapped into the same environment. No weekends, no evenings.

I wouldn't actually recommend it as I don't love it, but I like it far better than a conventional workplace which I will never try again, not even if wild horses dragged me there. I am also, however, getting increasingly tired. Physically I can't go on. Mentally I find it hard to get out in the morning and I'm starting to have panic attacks. Frankly I'd LOVE to go on disability just because I badly need a break physically and mentally. But I won't put myself through the bureacratic hoops this country makes you jump through, as even my spell on plain old dole was humiliating enough.

I have a new Cafepress-style venture I've just launched, but I don't want to jinx it by talking it up as it's only just begun. But if it takes off at all, it may be the answer to my prayers for a new and better way to pay the bills. I'm desperate to find something different to do, and the UK has just raised the state pension retirement age for my generation to 67. I can't retire until I'm sixty bloody 7. That's nearly 70. I could be dead by then and never knew what it felt like to get to retire at last.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 6:28 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I can't retire until I'm sixty bloody 7. That's nearly 70. I could be dead by then and never knew what it felt like to get to retire at last.

On your next day off, do whatever the hell you feel like. That's what retirement will feel like.

greenfivenine
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Oct 2014, 6:49 pm

I have worked in several hospitality/catering jobs - some parts of them were bad because of the volume of customer interaction (which all staff seemed to agree was difficult, though I didn't hear anyone else actually initiate a moan about it), some were ok when I had to solve a problem or just do a job efficiently. No one seemed to bother too much if I didn't join in with joking around, so long as I did my work reliably. I found working in a pub difficult as people want to have more of a chat with staff rather than just get their coffee with minimal talking (also, lots of quiet time with one or two colleagues who wanted to chat). Overall, not always as bad as I thought it would be, but definitely not something I'd like to do again. One was in housekeeping, that was great as I was on my own, fairly routine work.7

I have had some outdoor wildlife research jobs, I have enjoyed these once I've got into a routine because I was working on something I cared about and often worked alone for long periods of time. I didn't fit in as well with the teams as some colleagues at the same level though, which I felt led to some favouritism and was a bit upsetting.

I currently work as a science technician in a school, I enjoy it as it's interesting and I don't have to talk much to anyone other than the other technician, who I get along with well. I don't like when the teachers get annoyed about something and seem to be kind of underhand about how they go about dealing with it (e.g. complaining to someone above us instead of just mentioning it to us or coming to us and getting annoyed at us because they assume we've done something wrong through a fault of our own, because I really don't like being misunderstood).

What I am aiming to do it to study a philosophy/science combined topic. I imagine this to involve lots of reading, focus and thinking and using my thoughts which are outside the norm in a way which not only as acceptable but maybe even valuable in some way! Very idealistic of me, perhaps!

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 8:20 pm

I prepare taxes, give private music lessons, sell firewood, tune pianos, and give tax consultations throughout the year in order to prepare companies and self employed people for their taxes the next year. Personally, I have felt for some years now that tax preparation and consultations would be a helpful field for many ASD people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 8:25 pm

Nothing...well I guess being a bum, cause I'm on SSI eventually though If I where to work I'd want to do something that has to do with cannabis like tending plants for legal grow operations or like working at a head shop would be cool or at a concert venue as maybe I'd get deals on tickets for concerts or something.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 9:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nothing...well I guess being a bum, cause I'm on SSI eventually though If I where to work I'd want to do something that has to do with cannabis like tending plants for legal grow operations or like working at a head shop would be cool or at a concert venue as maybe I'd get deals on tickets for concerts or something.

Hahahahaha, I almost forgot to add that I tend some plants of my own every year. Right now it's harvest time though and we've been pretty busy trimming. Can't wait for it all to cure.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 2:03 am

Right now I'm working at a woodworking shop, I just finished my first week there. I just stain and lacquer wood all day, which is actually more enjoyable than I anticipated.

I don't really know yet what I want to do as a career though.

- Sherlock Holmes

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 2:37 am

If I could work (can't due to all my conditions at all right now and it looks like I never will be able to) I would want to be a writer at a video game company.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 2:59 am

I work as a Respiratory Therapist. The main aspect of my job is taking care of mechanical ventilators in intensive units in hospitals. Since I am currently working in a small quiet hospital in a remote rural location - it is okay. Personally, since I have done it for 32 years - I am used to it. But I would not particularly recommend it- especially for anyone with anxiety issues. Besides, years ago there was at least a big shortage of R.T.'s so - at least one could count on a job almost anywhere almost any time. That is not the case anymore. There is now an oversupply.

- Albert Einstein

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 4:58 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Hahahahaha, I almost forgot to add that I tend some plants of my own every year. Right now it's harvest time though and we've been pretty busy trimming. Can't wait for it all to cure.

I will have to get around to growing some myself...not sure if I'll be able to till I can move out of my moms house though, then again its legal so not sure. But yeah have not really grown a lot of plants in general I planted morning glories which did well like a year ago oh and some fever-few but I imagine cannabis plants could need more matience.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 6:37 am

goldfish21 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
I can't retire until I'm sixty bloody 7. That's nearly 70. I could be dead by then and never knew what it felt like to get to retire at last.

On your next day off, do whatever the hell you feel like. That's what retirement will feel like.

I can't tell whether you're being friendly and offering cute advice, or whether you're being snarky and sarcastic to me. Because no, a day off doing what you like IS NOT "what retirement will feel like" because you know it's only one day and it's back to the grind tomorrow.

Retirement is lasting release from the grind, and I can make a good f*****g guess that that feels VERY different from just a day off.....

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 6:40 am

Disability cheque collector and disability cheque collector.

So, you can kinda say I'm already retired (late twenties it started).

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 6:44 am

patent examiner

I seldom interact with anyone, and I work from home. The work is mentally tedious, but it is like being retired.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 6:45 am

I'm a truck driver. I usually keep to myself and work by myself with very limited social contact.

I wish I did more work that exercised my intellect, but it pays 5 times more than I thought I'd ever make in my entire life, my autism struggles are so severe it's a wonder I'm not on disability. But meh, I can't complain.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2014, 8:07 am

I run a small management/software consulting firm, and tell my clients what they must hear based on my analysis of their context, and not necessarily what they want to hear.

My wife jokingly calls me "the insultant". I approach my work in the way that a diligent dentist approaches his/her work.

AllisonWonderland
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Oct 2014, 12:21 pm

I'm a nurse. I wouldn't recommend it. I work in a psychiatric hospital almost exclusively with people with dementia; my poor communication skills aren't usually noticed except by my coworkers.