Is self-diagnosis okay/valid/a good thing?

Page 16 of 39 [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next

Is self-diagnosis okay/valid/a good thing?
Yes 68%  68%  [ 100 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 147

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:17 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
I have to clarify the following:
Autism is defined by behaviors, which is why clinical observation is required to diagnose autism.
Introspection by self-report questionnaires is usually a part of the diagnostic process for HFA adults/adolescents who can do self-report questionnaires, but not for children.
Autism is not defined primarily by introspection, and it is not diagnosed primarily based on introspection either.

Anything else that anyone makes up as being defined or diagnosed by introspection and not behavior and called autism is not autism as it is defined and diagnosed by clinicians and researchers.

Once again did not suggest it was defined primarily by intropspection, just that self reported symptoms and mental states is an important part of diagnoses much of the time. Disagree all you want but that was pointed out repeatedly when I was taking abnormal psychology courses.

That's what I said repeatedly, and you said that I lied, when I did not.

You seemed to be implying it had no place within official diagnoses initially...or lacked any significant importance, unless that is not what you meant.

I did not imply that, because I did not say that.
You made that up in your mind.

Then you said that none of the things I mentioned (behavior) defined autism, but that is inaccurate.
Autism is indeed defined by behaviors.

That is because it doesn't define autism....the word definition does not apply to 'symptoms of a disorder' that is more just a technicality. the definition of autism is more like 'a neurological condition that effects communication' it wouldn't include a the symptoms but that's just a technical bit.

Also, or I misunderstood your wording, but no I must just be delusional because misunderstandings don't happen, guess I will go dig up the part I misunderstood...I did not just make something based on nothing up.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:17 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Autism is defined by behaviors, which is why clinical observation is required to diagnose autism.
Introspection by self-report questionnaires is usually a part of the diagnostic process for HFA adults/adolescents who can do self-report questionnaires, but not for children.
Autism is not defined primarily by introspection, and it is not diagnosed primarily based on introspection either.

Anything else that anyone makes up as being defined or diagnosed by introspection and not behavior and called autism is not autism as it is defined and diagnosed by clinicians and researchers.

Once again did not suggest it was defined primarily by intropspection, just that self reported symptoms and mental states is an important part of diagnoses much of the time. Disagree all you want but that was pointed out repeatedly when I was taking abnormal psychology courses.

You seemed to be implying it had no place within official diagnoses initially...or lacked any significant importance, unless that is not what you meant.

Then you said that none of the things I mentioned (behavior) defined autism, but that is inaccurate.

That is because it doesn't define autism....the word definition does not apply to 'symptoms of a disorder' that is more just a technicality. the definition of autism is more like 'a neurological condition that effects communication' it wouldn't include a the symptoms those would be the symptoms not the definition.

Also, or I misunderstood your wording, but no I must just be delusional because misunderstandings don't happen, guess I will go dig up the part I misunderstood...I did not just make something based on nothing up.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

That is because it doesn't define autism....the word definition does not apply to 'symptoms of a disorder' that is more just a technicality. the definition of autism is more like 'a neurological condition that effects communication' it wouldn't include a the symptoms but that's just a technical bit.

Autism is defined by its symptoms, which are behaviors, such as communication in your "neurological condition that effects communication" quote. Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder that involves deficits in social interaction and communication and shows repetitive behaviors. The behaviors are part of the definition itself, as just saying autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder without any mention of autistic behaviors does not distinguish autism from any other neurodevelopmental disorder.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:26 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Autism is defined from the outside by behavior, not by introspection from first-person perspective.
In future, as the definitions improve, it will likely be defined by clinician-observed behavior, objectively measured behavior, and possibly patterns of brain activity.
But it is unlikely to become primarily defined by introspection.

Alright yes here it seems implied here that introspection is not part of the basis a diagnoses is made on...but rather its strictly based on observed behavior. Didn't 'make it up in my mind'.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:30 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

Autism is defined by its symptoms, which are behaviors, such as communication in your "neurological condition that effects communication" quote. Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder that involves deficits in social interaction and communication and shows repetitive behaviors. The behaviors are part of the definition itself, as just saying autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder without any mention of autistic behaviors does not distinguish autism from any other neurodevelopmental disorder.

I just looked up various definitions of autism and none of them include any detailed list of symptoms, its simplified to a neurological condition and some mention a couple traits/symptoms...the symptoms are the symptoms not the definition...The DSM is not a collection of definitions of mental disorders, its a book full of more detailed lists to aid in the diagnostic process by outlining symptoms.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 09 Dec 2014, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Autism is defined from the outside by behavior, not by introspection from first-person perspective.
In future, as the definitions improve, it will likely be defined by clinician-observed behavior, objectively measured behavior, and possibly patterns of brain activity.
But it is unlikely to become primarily defined by introspection.

Alright yes here it seems implied here that introspection is not part of the basis a diagnoses is made on...but rather its strictly based on observed behavior. Didn't 'make it up in my mind'.

If you read what I wrote, you can see that I did not say that introspection is not part of the basis of a diagnosis.
Instead, I said "defined", not "diagnosed".
There is a difference.
IQ testing is also often part of diagnostic process, like self-report is often part of process, but IQ testing does not define autism, as introspection does not define autism.
Behaviors define autism.
You did make it up in your mind, because anything that you interpret as an implication but others did not say in words is made up in your mind.
Sometimes, that is accurate and occurs often in social cognition, but in this case, it is inaccurate.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

I just looked up various definitions of autism and none of them include any detailed list of symptoms, its simplified to a neurological condition and some mention a couple traits/symptoms...they symptoms are the symptoms not the definition...The DSM is not a collection of definitions of mental illnesses, its a book full of more detailed lists to aid in the diagnostic process by outlining symptoms.

I did not say that lists had to be detailed, you made that up too.
I said that definitions include deficits in social interaction and communication and repetitive behaviors.
If definitions of autism did not include these, then the statement of what autism is is non-specific and nearly meaningless.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:34 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
You did make it up in your mind, because anything that you interpret as an implication but others did not say in words is made up in your mind.
Sometimes, that is accurate and occurs often in social cognition, but in this case, it is inaccurate.

And the interpretation came from an actual thing that was typed, thus I could not have entirely made it up.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:36 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

I just looked up various definitions of autism and none of them include any detailed list of symptoms, its simplified to a neurological condition and some mention a couple traits/symptoms...they symptoms are the symptoms not the definition...The DSM is not a collection of definitions of mental illnesses, its a book full of more detailed lists to aid in the diagnostic process by outlining symptoms.

I said that definitions include deficits in social interaction and communication and repetitive behaviors.
If definitions of autism did not include these, then the statement of what autism is is non-specific and nearly meaningless.

You said the symptoms define it, the definition is not a list of symptoms...the symptoms describe it they do not define it as definitions tend to be more simple than a more detailed description of a word. So what am I making up exactly

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:37 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

And the interpretation came from an actual thing that was typed, thus I could not have entirely made it up.

Your interpretation is in your mind.
Someone can interpret whatever they want from what words I posted, but that is in their mind, not mine, and they need to attribute it to themselves, not me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:39 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

You said the symptoms define it, the definition is not a list of symptoms...the symptoms describe it they do not define it as definitions tend to be more simple than a more detailed description of a word. So what am I making up exactly

I said that behaviors define autism.
Deficits in social interaction and communication are behaviors that define autism.
Repetitive behaviors also define autism.
In almost all single-sentence definitions of autism, there are mentions of deficits in social interaction and communication and repetitive behaviors.
If these are not mentioned, then autism has not been defined at all, because these things are autism.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

Autism is a disorder.
Carbon is an element.

These statements don't define autism or carbon, as there are other disorders and elements that are not autism or carbon. These statements categorize autism and carbon as disorder and element.

Autism is a disorder involving deficits in social interaction and communication, and repetitive behaviors.
Carbon is an element with atomic number 6.

These statements define what autism is and what carbon is to distinguish from other disorders and elements.
Autism is defined by specific kinds of behaviors, and further descriptions can provide details about autism.
Carbon is defined by the number of protons in the nucleus, and further descriptions can provide details about carbon.
This approach is how things are defined in science.
I could say the information about autism and carbon in one, two, or three sentences, but the information about behaviors and protons is part of the definition of the thing, otherwise there is not enough information to define the thing.
Carbon is an element. It has atomic number 6. There are 6 protons in its nucleus. This is what makes carbon carbon.
Autism is a disorder. It involves deficits in social interaction. There are also deficits in social communication. There are also repetitive behaviors. Together, this set of behaviors makes autism autism.

Autism diagnosis usually involves clinical observation of behaviors, childhood history of behaviors, and self-report by people who can self-report of their behaviors, cognition, and perception. Childhood history is highly recommended but optional when parents or others are unavailable to report childhood behaviors. Self-report is optional, as many people can't self-report. Clinical observation of autistic behaviors to compare with behavioral diagnostic criteria is non-optional. This is the critical part missing from self-diagnosis.

Cyd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2014, 3:47 pm

babybird wrote:
I suppose it's down to the individual. Personally, I take no offence to it. Why should I?

For me, I didn't self diagnose because it wouldn't have felt right for me, and I didn't know there was such a thing as self diagnosis.

I did suspect but it would never have sat well with me to declare I had it without an official diagnosis. But that's just me.

I agree with babybird except that I did self-diagnose before I was diagnosed. Learning of the spectrum and my place on it was a huge weight off my shoulders as I was almost 50. I didn't even realize it was a weight until it lifted, which was the result of self-diagnosis after much research.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 10:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I will ask this again because nobody answered this what is a person to do they decide they fit most of the traits and if legitimate diagnosis is unavailable to them?

What are they supposed to do about what, exactly? If they can't get an official diagnosis and want one, there's nothing they can do other than to continue trying to find ways to get one or give up.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 6:40 am

Adamantium wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I will ask this again because nobody answered this what is a person to do they decide they fit most of the traits and if legitimate diagnosis is unavailable to them?

Proceed on the assumption that the previous official diagnosis was correct because it was official even though deep down they believe it to be wrong?

If they have never had a diagnosis before proceed as NT?.

The day official diagnosis by people that have at least have a clue is readily available and official diagnosis produces tangible benefits for all age groups and genders is the day I become FNORD on this issue. Until then self-diagnosis, self identifying, proceeding as Autistic call it what you wantis the best and a legitimate workaround.

Widespread clueless and unavailblity and lack tangible benefits for many is the difference between Autism and most other conditions and why the usual answer could be hurtful here.

For right now I would advise anybody thinking about if they are autistic to stay as far away from Wrong Planet as possible.

I don't think it is remotely realistic to imagine benefits being available to people without an official diagnosis.

But It seems clear to me that the people who object to self diagnosis are just objecting to people saying "I am autistic" but have no issue with people saying "I suspect I am autistic" or "I think I am autistic" and no objection to people modifying their lives in the light of that knowledge.

Instead of advising people to stay away from wrong planet, why not tell people that there is a lot of good information and a good community here, but that they should know that this issue is real for a small number of vocal people and if they describe themselves as self-diagnosed or ask a question about self-diagnosis, they can expect to hear these points of view, among others.

If they can't make use of a resource unless it's perfect, life is going to be pretty hard.

I agree there are more good things then bad here but I am taking into account that people in a fragile state tend to look only at the bad parts and would be hurt by coming here right now. There are other sites and resources besides WP. When a newbie comes on and the first response they see is an extension of this debate instead of whatever thier issues are I can't see that as helpful. But I do see this as a very temporary situation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 8:10 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
But I do see this as a very temporary situation.

It does seem like every position on this topic has been thoroughly articulated now (along with all sorts of hyperbolic auxiliary arguments, appeals to authority, calls for censorship, character assassinations, appeals to emotion, etc.) so I would expect the topic to go dormant again for at least a little while.

But I think anyone who is exploring autism, and thinking, "could this label fit me?" is going to run into this topic. It's unfortunate that some of the critique of self diagnosis comes with negative speculation about the motivation behind self diagnosis-but this is human psychology. People are often needlessly mean spirited and learning not to let that get you down is a essential life skill.

If I was telling someone about this place, I would just tell them to be aware that this will come up and perhaps to avoid the problem by being more precise and saying "I think I am probably autistic" rather than "I am autistic." That way they can avoid stirring up the issue.

I like your sig. I survived the '70s, too!