Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2014, 2:25 pm

Most specifically, swimming pool drains, but also other submerged pipes, gratings and other underwater obstacles.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:36 pm

Public Toilets
Going Upstairs Behind Other People
Spiders
Loud, Sudden Noises

I don't have a fear of failure. I don't care enough.

That's all I can think of atm.

My daughter has a fear of corners and mold. She especially hates moldy corners.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 3:33 am

The only real phobia I'm aware of is roller coasters.
Lots of people are afraid of them, so that's not unusual.
What's interesting for me, is that if I take some Xanax, I suddenly love roller coasters and can't get enough.

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2014, 3:41 am

I have many various phobias, but the biggest phobia that I have is the fear of spiders: arachnophobia. 8O
I highly dislike spiders; I personally do not care how small or how big they are. :?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 3:49 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Don't know if it counts as a phobia, but I'm often haunted by a strong feeling that I'm unwittingly "fiddling while Rome burns," i.e. I feel there must be some very important things I really need to get done instead of whatever I'm actually doing, and the consequences of ignoring those things will be terrible. An irrational or greatly exaggerated fear of wasting time.

I guess it's partly rational. I don't have the kind of executive function necessary to keep a good overview of my activities, and my hyperfocus makes me prone to get sucked into the detail of tasks to a ridiculous extreme, at the expense of efficiency. But for all that, the important things get done in time and my life doesn't collapse. So it really shouldn't bother me, but it does.
Could that be more anxiety instead of a phobia?

Every once in a while I become convinced that I need to do something but have no idea what I need to do. I think it is anxiety rather than a phobia.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 3:50 am

Yeah sleep....seems like I try to avoid it at all costs, doesn't work out too well since humans need sleep.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 3:58 am

I have a fear of walking up stairs. I always think that someone is behind me. It's really creepy.

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2014, 4:11 am

I don't know as I have any phobias but I have an extremely serious aversion to people being behind me. The gym drives me crazy. I only go at night and use a treadmill with the window right in front of me, 3 feet away. I can see 90% of the gym behind me in the reflection, but there is a small offset that I cannot see and I cannot stay in the gym if someone is working out in the area I am blind too. Not a physical fear like they are going to do anything to me. It just feels like they are crawling around inside my head. I cannot sit in a restaurant with another person directly behind me either. I always have to request a corner booth, even if I am all alone, which is rare.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:12 am

^ I hate people behind me as well.

pj4990
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2014, 4:46 am

Injections. This sounds normal, but it was very extreme. If I had an injection I would have a shock reaction which would leave me slipping in and out of conciousness from the mental trauma for several hours. Fortunately that one has reduced to normal dislike now, although I often feel a bit weak or have a mild headache afterwards.
Going underwater
Loosing conciousness, e.g. falling asleep
Singing on my own
Public speaking gets all the physical symptoms of a fear reaction but mentally I don't mind it despite shaking, sweating and stammering.
Being in busy shopping areas is something I quite enjoy but too many people sort of causes me to zone out and it can be hours before I'm fully aware of the world again.
Having a constant stream of people I have to talk to.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah sleep....seems like I try to avoid it at all costs, doesn't work out too well since humans need sleep.

Funny you should say that sweetleaf. I'm a terrible insomniac. I don't have a phobia about sleep. I love sleep - especially in times of depression but I once went over 3 days without sleep. I experienced auditory hallucinations. Weird s**t!

I've never been a big sleeper. As much as I love sleep, I never need more than a few hours of it a night. I've always been a night owl but...

I go for several weeks where I can get by on 2-3 hours sleep and then I'll have a period of about the same time of where I need 3-5 hours a night and then it'll switch back to 2-3 hours. I've been like this since before I can remember.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

greenfivenine
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2014, 8:54 am

Falloy wrote:
Most specifically, swimming pool drains, but also other submerged pipes, gratings and other underwater obstacles.

ME TOO! I clicked on this topic to say I have exactly this phobia. I'm disproportionately excited to find a phobia-buddy! It doesn't seem to have a name though. It seems pretty irrational because (for me) it also includes switched-off swimming pool lights and I am a good swimmer, I don't think I will actually get caught in anything or sucked in, I am just terrified of them.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 10:53 am

eric76 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Don't know if it counts as a phobia, but I'm often haunted by a strong feeling that I'm unwittingly "fiddling while Rome burns," i.e. I feel there must be some very important things I really need to get done instead of whatever I'm actually doing, and the consequences of ignoring those things will be terrible. An irrational or greatly exaggerated fear of wasting time.

I guess it's partly rational. I don't have the kind of executive function necessary to keep a good overview of my activities, and my hyperfocus makes me prone to get sucked into the detail of tasks to a ridiculous extreme, at the expense of efficiency. But for all that, the important things get done in time and my life doesn't collapse. So it really shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Could that be more anxiety instead of a phobia?

I'm not sure what the difference is. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find anything that explained it sensibly. The objects of phobia typically seem to be things which only turn up occasionally (e.g. spiders) but the object of my fear is almost always present, unless I'm working on a task I really feel is of paramount importance. I guess it's very rare that anybody can know for sure that they're putting their time to the best possible use.

Quote:
Every once in a while I become convinced that I need to do something but have no idea what I need to do. I think it is anxiety rather than a phobia.

It sounds much like my problem, though you say "something" (singular). My fear is that there are many such things. Some of them are clearly defined, e.g. repair the gutter, the rest are more vague but (I think) they're nearly always grounded in reality, in that I could identify them clearly if I stopped and thought. I guess in your case the "undone thing" that bothers you is never identified and probably doesn't exist?

Over the years I've noticed many tasks that I feel I really should do, but they have fallen by the wayside. There are so many that it would take a long time to list and prioritise them all, especially with my executive function problems - I've tried but I just got bogged down in the details every time - and if I got distracted into trying that again, I might miss a deadline while I was fooling around trying to create the world's greatest task-organising system. You could reasonably call my condition a morbid fear of deadlines, though often there's no definite deadline, e.g. fixing the gutter - the leak was only causing very gradual damage to the house wall.

My best coping strategy so far is a text file which I call my "at-a-glance to-do list." Any important tasks are in red, and assigned to a date, or maybe a particular month if the deadline isn't so clear cut. That way, when I feel this anxiety, I can just look at the file and feel reassured that AFAIK I'm up to date. It also helps to stay mindful that if I went into in a coma and was hospitalised for 6 months, once I returned to my life, the missed deadlines wouldn't be the end of the world.

Rather than medicalise my anxiety, I tend to see it as a bad habit in my thinking, acquired from many years of holding down jobs as an undiagnosed Aspie. I was given a lot of responsibilities and deadlines which often felt impossible, the taskmasters were assuming I could multi-task, understand unclear instructions etc., so I was probably burning myself out trying to find ways to somehow deliver, and to hide my limitations. I stopped going for promotion because I couldn't imagine surviving their increased expectations. So for a very long time there really were a lot of scary expectations on me, so many that I couldn't remember them all. Those days are over, but the anxiety is still there.

I'm also very aware that I procrastinate, and that's dangerous with important things. I delayed inquiring into an old pension of mine that I'd lost track of, because I feared finding out I'd somehow lost the pension itself (and I expected the process of finding out would be very hard, with phone calls to people who wouldn't be helpful). Of course logically, if I'd lost it, I needed to know about it, and the sooner I tracked it down, the more likely I'd be to keep it. I eventually sorted it out and it's fine, but I let it haunt me for years first.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 11:23 am

I've always had a tendency to become fixated on things; for example, I will be reading and come across the name of, say, a country or a song, or anything really. Then I will become obsessed with this thing, and be nervous about seeing a reference to it anywhere. It's not really a phobia, so much as an obsession that can last anywhere between a couple days and a year. I dunno, it's hard to explain.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 12:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
^ I hate people behind me as well.

Me too, but I think it's just part of hyper-vigilance.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm

The fear of needles/injections seems to be the strongest one in my case.
It is enough for me to see a picture of medical needle and I get panic attack symptoms. Having my blood taken is a living hell for me. I have had this phobia since I remember. From what my mom says even as a 3 years old I was afraid of injections so much that 2 people had to hold me and 3rd one do the injection because otherwise I would break free and escape in panic. And even the 2 people were unable to prevent me from making sudden moves and breaking the needle...

Other my fears are spiders and trains. But I learned to deal with them.
For example I can control my arachnophobia enough to catch a huge spider in glass, cover it with a piece of paper and throw it outside and its not a big deal as long as the spider doesn't escape before I cover it with the glass. And trains... I just leave the railway crossing as soon as possible when I have to pass one. My heart stops a bit while I do (especially if I see a train there even if it is going away) and I need a while before it returns to its normal beat rate but thats it.
BTW. Today there was a crash or something on unguarded railway crossing in my city. I seen 2 fire engines standing there and I heard an ambulance coming too, together with an unidentified melody I couldn't figure out. I wonder what happened.

Last edited by Kiriae on 30 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.