Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

You'd be surprised how many "NT's" have staunch opinions--and can't see why others don't share that staunch opinion.

I don't find this to be uncommon at all, actually

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 8:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You'd be surprised how many "NT's" have staunch opinions--and can't see why others don't share that staunch opinion.

Ain't that a fact...

How theory of mind is practiced in every day life:
Neurotypical: everyone thinks like me except when specifically identified as thinking differently
Autist: everyone thinks differently from me except when specifically identified as thinking similarly
lol

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I wouldn't be remotely surprised, given my mum's family and the entire history of the human race.

That's not really what I'm talking about. I cited somebody as close to lacking TOM as I could think of, while keeping it short. I'm not up to writing a 3000-word essay, but there's a lot more to it than what I said.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 9:32 pm

So...what were you talking about?...in 30 words or less

Theory of Mind is, partially, about the ability to perceive that someone could have a view of the world which is not your view.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 9:50 pm

Jezebel wrote:

@Marybird: Yes, I think that's what Eola was saying. I feel like it's the same for me. I have to think about someone else's perspective because it doesn't come naturally - that's where the deficit comes in for me. When you mentioned not being able to juggle everything in your brain at once, I immediately thought sensory issues, so maybe it has something to do with that? I know people often say that too much stimulation is one reason they can't give eye contact and hold a conversation at the same time; they sound like pretty similar situations.

I see what you are saying and I think it is like sensory issues. It can make me get overwhelmed and shut down.
It doesn't come naturally to me either and I wonder if it is an executive function issue, not being able to juggle things like eye contact, other people's perspectives, and your own thoughts and how to communicate them at the same time.
This may be why I can't act like other people and why I withdraw into my own little world.
Whenever I am in a group of people (except for my close relatives), I don't interact, I just observe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

I'm feel pretty flummoxed when I have to "juggle" like that.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
So...what were you talking about?...in 30 words or less

Theory of Mind is, partially, about the ability to perceive that someone could have a view of the world which is not your view.

Yeah, "partially". That's the gist of it. If all NTs unfailingly understood other peoples' point of view, there would be no wars and certainly no religious schisms.

ToM, therefore, has to be about something else other than blanket acceptance of opposing or alternative views.

SadButRad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

I wonder if it's possible to specify the difference between asd theory of mind and nt theory of mind.

Then we can give out brochures to NT's, explaining how they can learn asd skills? Would be lovely :)