Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

It's been awhile since Wrong Planet has been reformatted. I really dislike it, the old one was much better. I stopped coming here as much because of it. Anyone else still having problems with it?

- Edgar Allan Poe -

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 3:05 pm

It's become messy. The way columns and rows are organized is very messy. It's hard to locate things.

The mobile version is very user-unfriendly.

Although there certainly are some nice new features, overall I prefer the old design.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 1:16 am

No one likes a new design when they are used to the old one. Especially us who usually hate change. I have gotten used to this though and like how it works. Only complaint now is it's too bright.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 2:26 pm

If you use Firefox or Chrome, I recommend trying out the Stylish add-on to fix brightness and some of the layout issues (if you have issues with the layout).

FMX made a style that puts WP back to the old blue and green and changes bits of the layout -- you can get it here:

https://userstyles.org/styles/90807/wrongplanet-forum-color-fixes

If you can write CSS (and use the inspector tool to look up the names of things) then you could also write a custom style.

I would have stopped coming here if FMX hadn't posted posted the stylish fix. The new WP is painfully bright and meltdown-inducing in it's un-Stylish-altered form.

Love transcends all.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm

It's absurdly bright and glarey for a supposed autism forum. Even with f.lux it's horrible.

I post on other predominantly white forums, but they're not nearly as bad as this. This is an appalling design. That said, FMX's workaround does work wonders. I should re-enable it, although I daresay my "comeback" is not likely to be long-lasting.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 5:03 pm

I dislike it too.
I didn't notice all the glitches on the old WP, but it impacted on the administration and moderation of the site in a significant way, so its good that its been updated for the moderators and the new admin.

The fluorescent white is a joke, it has to be a joke, I can not comprehend why it is so bright, or why users need it to be so white and bright, imo, its a prank :jester:. On a serious note, I cant use any of the other ASD forums as torch on my tablet when i go for walks at night, but if I turn off FMXs brilliant fix, I have my android version of a pro Maglite.

Also, without changing browser, again, I cant zoom in on my tablet, and that bugs me. I have tapped more profile views than the threads I intended to open. I'm grateful that I have the fine motor skills to open the thread on the third attempt.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 5:14 pm

Amity wrote:
The fluorescent white is a joke, it has to be a joke, I can not comprehend why it is so bright, or why users need it to be so white and bright, imo, its a prank :jester:. On a serious note, I cant use any of the other ASD forums as torch on my tablet when i go for walks at night, but if I turn off FMXs brilliant fix, I have my android version of a pro Maglite.

Also, without changing browser, again, I cant zoom in on my tablet, and that bugs me. I have tapped more profile views than the threads I intended to open. I'm grateful that I have the fine motor skills to open the thread on the third attempt.

F***ing tell me about it. It's night time where I am, and if I turned off f.lux right now, I think I would get an immediate blinding headache. How can this be a suitable design choice for people who are meant to be autistic? How?!

The lack of zoom on mobile devices is a terrible design flaw, too. I usually use my laptop, but when I have looked at WP on a tablet, then yeah, it's pretty much as you said: 3 tries just to open the right thread.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 6:32 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
How can this be a suitable design choice for people who are meant to be autistic? How?!
I really don't understand the thought process behind the facelift.
I usually try to see the positive aspects, and it has been some time since the update; all I can see are the superficial aesthetic changes but I fail to see the ergonomic design, which I assumed would be a priority on a site for people with differences and disabilities.

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm

I'm more or less used to it, but I have definitely had a few small-time train tantrums trying to skip to the last page of a thread :lol: Then I try to zoom in and it doesn't work, which results in one of those WRONGPLANET Y U NO situations...

I thought this might have just been my phone, it's some consolation knowing I'm not the only one :)

For the most part I'm relatively happy with the new forum, it's kinda friendly though I'd definitely prefer a darker UI. I remember making a webpage with a black background and grey text a few years ago, and one of my friends was perplexed as to why I'd made it so hard to read... My life and the choices I make keep making more and more sense to me :D

The only other thing I can say is that I've nearly hit the 'report' button many times 'cus it's big and friendly and sits alongside 'reply,' and the 'quote' button is tiny and at the top of the post.

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

25 Jan 2015, 11:22 pm

What I hate about the mobile version is that I cant access my inbox. When the site 1st shows up it tells me if I have any PMs or not at the top but after a second or so 1c everything's loaded it disappears & the link to access my inbox disappears.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm

I don't really like it either. It's always really slow for me. But thankfully, the colors don't bother me. I totally agree with the suggestion of Stylish - I use it on other sites (like facebook and google) where I don't like the white backgrounds. Hopefully that helps you guys.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:19 am

I don't like it at all, aside from the glaring color scheme I'm also uncomfortable posting anything anymore because the option to edit and delete posts disappears too quick. I frequently edit posts for clarity. It feels as though the needs of the people who use these forums were not taken into consideration before making changes.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2015, 12:24 am

Washi wrote:
I don't like it at all, aside from the glaring color scheme I'm also uncomfortable posting anything anymore because the option to edit and delete posts disappears too quick. I frequently edit posts for clarity. It feels as though the needs of the people who use these forums were not taken into consideration before making changes.

Yes, this too. I edit my posts all the time and it's annoying not being able to. :/