Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

I have periods of being somewhat friendly(and having friends), to being a complete loner, and about a year ago, I was going through the former phase. I was in a different city at that time.

I didn't have this problem before, but now, whenever I am playing music and one of the songs I used to listen to during that period of time starts playing, I have to immediately change it, or it brings back "memories" and leaves me depressed. Also, random people on the streets are now looking like the people I knew back then.

I don't want to be depressed. I'm trying my best to stay away from these "triggers"(Oh my god I sound like those Tumblr people), but I don't want to do that.

I don't know what to do, why is this happening?

Apologies if this is the inappropriate subforum for this post, I couldn't figure out any better place to post this.

DSR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm

Im tend to get "flashbacks" when hearing music that reminds me of something.. I would suggest that you could try listening to some new music, new genre, newer tracks.. something that wont triggers these bad feelings.. And after sometime, try listening again and see if you still feel the same way.. custom made playlists might help you out(works for me at least).. Avoid what makes you feel bad.. :)

about people on the street reminding you of past, i have no clue what to say.. sorry

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 4:38 pm

Aw. I think actually you should listen to music and allow yourself to feel whatever emotions you feel. Then things might be okay? But if you try to ignore it you might feel worse. I'm only guessing though...

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm

DSR wrote:
Im tend to get "flashbacks" when hearing music that reminds me of something.. I would suggest that you could try listening to some new music, new genre, newer tracks.. something that wont triggers these bad feelings.. And after sometime, try listening again and see if you still feel the same way.. custom made playlists might help you out(works for me at least).. Avoid what makes you feel bad.. :)

about people on the street reminding you of past, i have no clue what to say.. sorry

Well, the thing is, its been a year since I left that place, and I've started feeling this way only now. I think I might just have to get rid of these songs altogether.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2015, 5:52 pm

starfox wrote:
Aw. I think actually you should listen to music and allow yourself to feel whatever emotions you feel. Then things might be okay? But if you try to ignore it you might feel worse. I'm only guessing though...

Well, I tried that earlier, and it made me quite depressed. I've been clinically depressed before, and its not a place I want to put myself into again.

DSR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2015, 5:24 am

Never get totally rid of your music. Store it somewhere.. USB flash stick, cd's what ever u use.. Just dont throw it, because at some point later in life, it can be difficult to get back. And you'll never know if you come to love these again without feeling bad.

Lost a lot of old music, cause of a fire. And this is stuff I know, I can never get back.

So store it.. :)

but maybe out of reach for the moment?

Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 5:31 am

I think what you experience is actually common, I have some songs I don't listen to because they trigger a bad memory just by coming on. If that's how you feel and it truly ruins the song for you don't feel bad about not listening to it, there's a whole lot of music out there to listen to. But if it's all music as a whole because of a certain time in your life I feel that's a bit different. Maybe what you're listening to could be depressing in general. When I was 14 I listened to a lot of crap like boulevard of broken dreams, it's a wonder I was so depressed.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

My kind of music doesn't allow me to have flashbacks. It is rather used to take my mind off things. But then again for many people with HFA and AS, my taste of music would be auditory sensory overload as I love breakcore, harsh noise and anything fast and chaotic that is electronic music.

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm

I used to have the same problem. I was close friends with the son of a man my mother dated, and they were really into the whole hillbilly lifestyle - they went to mud parks and the whole nine yards. When my mother broke up with his father she shunned the whole family and essentially forbade me from seeing them (I still live with her). So for awhile I couldn't listen to country because it made me miss him. Especially "Mud on the Tires" by Brad Paisley.