Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:55 am

I tend to wake up feeling anger/rage or I will suddenly feel rage or upset that comes on very suddenly, and it is difficult to fight having a meltdown. It usually leads to a fight with my family about how much I want to move out, etc.

Right now, as I type this, I feel a meltdown coming on and I don't know how to prevent it while also getting rid of the yucky feelings the anger is causing me.

Briar.Rose
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

I have this without warning too and unable to control it. It feels like someone has just flicked a switch off and then that's it, complete meltdown out of no where and no control.
People have asked me what triggers it or what do I think about before that moment, and I have no idea.
It feels like having some kind of seizure. I still haven't found an answer or a way of preventing it, or even just understanding it. I'm hoping medication will calm it

Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 5:20 am

It's not really something we're able to control or hold back, it just happens, hence why they call it a meltdown. It's a pain to deal with but not much we can do. :|

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 5:30 am

Tell my parents that! My dad knows a lady who could give me a job but he refuses to talk to her or send me to an away school like I want unless I "learn to control myself." AGGGGHHHH!! ! Why don't people get it????

Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 5:33 am

No one gets it, that's why it's so hard being autistic. :wall:

Personally I gave up a long time ago on trying to get my parents to understand me, it always led to them patronizing me or judging me. "oh great, he's having a meltdown again" or "Learn to control yourself" Also kind of ironic how them just saying or doing things like that can set us off.

DSR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2015, 5:35 am

2 days ago I flamed my sister and mom for making muffins and cake for me.. I know they only did this to suprise me in a good way. But it ended with me raging, locking down and feel like an ass :-/

I dont like suprises, but I dont wanna make people feel bad about making a cake for me :-/

So yeah. These things just come out of nowhere..

Briar.Rose
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

886 wrote:
No one gets it, that's why it's so hard being autistic. :wall:

Personally I gave up a long time ago on trying to get my parents to understand me, it always led to them patronizing me or judging me. "oh great, he's having a meltdown again" or "Learn to control yourself" Also kind of ironic how them just saying or doing things like that can set us off.

It's so hard when no one understands that you really cannot help it and there is no contol over it. Peoples actions and judgement can really make you feel like a bad person, as if you are just doing it because you are nasty or for attention. It really does feel like a seizure, no control and can't be helped, can't be stopped, but no one will understand it because its not physical like that. There is just too much ignorance and judgement when it comes to problems with the brain. There's many times I have been labelled 'aggressive', even by health care workers. Because like you say the more people say these patronising things like "learn to control yourself" etc, it just makes the whole situation worse.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:18 pm

What no one gets even some Autistics is that a meltdowns or shutdowns despite seemingly coming out of nowhere are a result of a buildup of stressors and sensory input. Kind of like if you overheat or put to much voltage into a machine. It will still keep working and suddenly it stops working or blows up.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman