Trouble doing more than one thing a day

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

Does anyone else have this problem? I find I'll often set out a list of priorities for myself, of things that I'd like to get finished in a day, and I'll usually end up doing only one of those things, if any, that thing usually being the easiest/least time consuming thing on my mental list. It can be anything, from going out to the store, to shaving my face, or even remembering to cook a meal for myself. I just seem to be unable to do more than one thing per day.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Mar 2015, 10:43 am

I sometimes have trouble with this.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:25 am

I have days like that, but other days when I am very efficient and get a lot done.

I think this falls under the general category of problems with "executive function" but I don't really understand how it works or why it is so variable for me.

I get overwhelmed with detail sometimes, and what had been nicely diagrammed pathways and relationships in my mind becomes a tangled mess like a knot of old fishing line.

I think maybe the days when I most productive are the days when I have a few well defined things that I can really focus on for hours at a time. Alternatively, I can do a lot of trivial things, such as answering small emails or copy files to different servers--but trying to both kills my ability to do either.

It's very depressing when I have big plans and end up having next to nothing to show for a day. It's exhilarating when I am able to really get stuff done. I am hoping that paying more attention to how this change happens will allow me to avoid more of the "can't get there from here" days and have more of the "victory is mine!" days.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:29 am

I am like this a lot. Often too if the thing I did was something "big" or nerve-wracking, it's like I have some weird hangover for a few days afterward and I just end up watching Voyager all day or doing other familiar, grounding things.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 1:41 pm

Yah - me too.

I make lots of <to-do> lists. They help me to to get things done but I almost never get everything done on the list. If I make some progress I consider it a good day.

8)

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2015, 2:46 pm

Yes, I'm similar. I used to compulsively make to-do lists to calm anxiety and never came close to finishing them.

I'm a bit different, though, in that I do actually get multiple things done in a day (didn't used to and took a lot of effort on my part) and ensure that I'm as productive as I can be these days by my own standards anyways. My thing is that when I have a set thing to do (class, appointment, etc), I have to block out an extra hour or two prior and another hour or two afterwards to de-stress. Also everyday things take me significantly longer to complete. Household chores that collectively can/should be finished in something like 30 minutes probably takes me closer to 1.5 hours.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 2:54 pm

I left the house this morning with a list of about 5 to-dos in my head. I just got back, after completing 2 of them and I've had all the stress I can handle today. Not that anything bad happened, I was already stressed when I left. Maybe I'll finish up tomorrow. Maybe.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm

Yes. This happens to me a lot. I'm always making plans for the day, and oftentimes I get next to nothing done.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:12 pm

I very much relate to much of what has been said here.

I stopped making to-do lists because of this. I had pages and pages of undone things taking up way too much space... and those damn post it notes everywhere. I thought checking things off my list would give me a kind of boost and I would feel accomplished, motivated and all that. Not so much. I ended up feeling overwhelmed.

Now I mostly try to have 'theme' days. I am a bit better about being productive if the tasks of the day are the same kinds of things. I also try not to think of too many things to do in one day or the volume of it all overwhelms me and I will certainly accomplish nothing. It can be very frustrating when I have many things I want to do.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:56 am

Adamantium wrote:
I have days like that, but other days when I am very efficient and get a lot done.

I think this falls under the general category of problems with "executive function" but I don't really understand how it works or why it is so variable for me.

I get overwhelmed with detail sometimes, and what had been nicely diagrammed pathways and relationships in my mind becomes a tangled mess like a knot of old fishing line.

I think maybe the days when I most productive are the days when I have a few well defined things that I can really focus on for hours at a time. Alternatively, I can do a lot of trivial things, such as answering small emails or copy files to different servers--but trying to both kills my ability to do either.

It's very depressing when I have big plans and end up having next to nothing to show for a day. It's exhilarating when I am able to really get stuff done. I am hoping that paying more attention to how this change happens will allow me to avoid more of the "can't get there from here" days and have more of the "victory is mine!" days.

I can definitely relate. I get overwhelmed with detail easily, and I too feel depressed whenever I set out to accomplish certain things, and end up having nothing to show for it by the time the day is over. I would feel so much better about myself if I actually had the ability to get things DONE. This is an extremely hard issue to explain to people, because most people can't relate to it. Whenever I've complained about this issue in the past, people tell me "then just do it and get it over with!", as if it's as easy as flipping a switch.

DSR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm

Same, unemployed at the time, but when i had a job. That was the only thing i could do.. then maybe take the dishes saturday, wash some clothes sunday.

Today i have 7 days a week, but still days go by and nothing happens..

Im amazed at what other people can achieve in a couple of hours O.o

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

Yep. So now I just state my intention to just do one meaningful thing each day. If more than that gets done then I give myself bonus points for being an extra good boy. :D

When I find myself blocking on a task, it helps if I break it down into (sometimes ridiculously) small subtasks and claim success if I get one or two of those done.

I find I need to be very realistic in setting daily objectives; otherwise I can either become overwhelmed or fall into despair.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:16 pm

I used to.

The worst was when I KNEW I had a deadline to get some work done while my friend was away. Yet the sun rose & fell a few times and I didn't get that one thing done. It was bizarre because we both Knew I had the sincere intention of accomplishing it and I couldn't figure out Why I didn't get it done & I couldn't explain it for the life of me.

That was before I knew my diagnosis or learned what I can do to treat it. I've since managed to get my executive, and other, brain functions to perform so much better that they serve me so much better. sometimes I have lazy days, but very rarely. Now, I often just make a list and tackle it and get more done in a day than most people I know. Today I have a few things or so I Need to get done, and another few tomorrow. So, I'll get 'em done. 8) I must say, it's absolutely fantastic being able to get isht done vs. having an ever building to-do list that just creates and compounds stress & anxiety.

Fortunately my educational background includes a lot of knowledge about productivity management. I Knew full well I was an unproductive person, despite my knowledge of efficiency & effectiveness. Now I Know I'm actually quite a productive person and it's awesome as I can carry on kicking ass on my way to much bigger and better goals in life and business. I literally sometimes get more done in a day than I used to in months! 8)

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:21 pm

I experience this a lot.
I attribute most of this to anxiety.
Somehow I have the ability to fear both failure or possible success at the same time. :(

Also, anhedonia seems to prevent getting much of a boost from crossing things off of a to-do list.

Some of these situations combined sets up a self-reinforcing system, so basically it's very difficult to get yourself out of a hole. It often takes consistent help from other people for a while.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

DSR wrote:
Same, unemployed at the time, but when i had a job. That was the only thing i could do.. then maybe take the dishes saturday, wash some clothes sunday.

Today i have 7 days a week, but still days go by and nothing happens..

Im amazed at what other people can achieve in a couple of hours O.o

I'm in the same situation bro. For the brief period of time I was employed, I would get up, go to work, and come home feeling completely burnt out. On my days off, I usually slept all day to make up for the lack of sleep I got on the days I worked, since I would come home late at night and wind down by going online for several hours (I don't count surfing the web as "doing anything" fyi).

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

I just took out the trash to the curb, and that was the only thing I did today. A few minutes later I discovered that trash pickup was actually yesterday, and I missed it. Now I will go and remove the trash from the curb again. So I guess I'm doing two things today.