1Million Dollars Vs Lose Your Aspergers.

Page 5 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Which would you pick
1 Million untaxed dollars 88%  88%  [ 127 ]
Cure your aspergers forever 12%  12%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 145

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Definitely would use a lot of money to buy access to reporters for the purpose of exposing and closing The Judge Rotenberg Center and fund an anti Autism Speaks campaign.

You would be broke soon. They would counter with 10 million dollars. Anyway the JRC has already been exposed. It didn't do any good.

They already are spending so I would be countering them. $10,000,000 to say $300,000 is better odds then whatever it they are spending now vs ASAN statements on their website. As far as the Judge Rotenberg Center mainstream coverage has been minor. Since 90+% of Judge Rotenberg Center prisoners are from NYC I would use the money to try and have the Judge Rotenberg center crimes and New York State and City's complicity in sending prisoners there splashed on the front pages of the the city's tabloids. The tabloids are highly competitive with each other so they would do a lot of the work for us. And if they would publish that the Rotenberg Center had a booth at Autism Speaks fair that might spark interest in looking deeper into A$.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

FMX wrote:
lissa1212 wrote:
So I'm going to be in the minority and say I'd cure my Asperger's. I enjoy some things about my Asperger's such as my special interests, unique abilities, and the way I think. However, I really can't stand the loneliness that comes with having it (not to mention my comorbid depression, anxiety, and OCD). So assuming curing it would enable me to have a decent social life and a healthy romantic relationship, I would take the cure, even though it would no doubt completely change me.

Finally, someone said it! I would definitely take the cure, too. Hell, I would probably pay a million dollars for it!

By the way, to all those thinking they could live off the interest on the million dollars - technically, you're right, but your (after-tax) income would be similar to unemployment or disability benefits. If you bought a house first it would be much less - so not even enough to live on, at least not in a developed country. Of course, you could invest it in something with much higher risk and return, but then you're not so safe anymore. So don't quit your day job just yet. ;)

So in other words, I'd lose nothing, but I wouldn't have to jump through government hoops constantly?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 7:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Definitely would use a lot of money to buy access to reporters for the purpose of exposing and closing The Judge Rotenberg Center and fund an anti Autism Speaks campaign.

You would be broke soon. They would counter with 10 million dollars. Anyway the JRC has already been exposed. It didn't do any good.

They already are spending so I would be countering them. $10,000,000 to say $300,000 is better odds then whatever it they are spending now vs ASAN statements on their website. As far as the Judge Rotenberg Center mainstream coverage has been minor.

No it's not minor. I have been seeing news reports exposing them for the last 30 years. It does nothing. Just like Autism Speaks, they have so much money, they don't even care.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 8:46 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

They already are spending so I would be countering them. $10,000,000 to say $300,000 is better odds then whatever it they are spending now vs ASAN statements on their website. As far as the Judge Rotenberg Center mainstream coverage has been minor.

No it's not minor. I have been seeing news reports exposing them for the last 30 years. It does nothing. Just like Autism Speaks, they have so much money, they don't even care.

It's one story, then maybe another one six months or a year later nowadays. We need something that is even 1/50th of what is going on now where every questionable police/suspect confrontation is intensely covered in national news. It just has to be New York (but because it is New York it would be immediately worldwide) to pressure local officials and that is where Autism Speaks was started and is headquartered. A$ cares about its fundraising. Do you see new "I am Autism" My kid is is Autistic I am thinking about driving off a bridge anymore videos anymore? The ones you see are from the last decade. That is what the Autism Rights movement has accomplished with a pittance of media coverage.

If you asked me two years ago which movement would have the best chance of positive media coverage Autism Acceptance or Transgender acceptance I would have said neither has a much of a chance but I would have given Autism much higher odds. Now there is transgender stories in the news every day. I will always take minimal odds over none which is what you get when you give up.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 Apr 2015, 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2015, 8:56 pm

Money is superficial, it comes and goes. There are far more important things in life. I'll keep my AS despite the negative baggage that comes with it.

indianadowjones
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2015, 9:39 pm

My Asperger traits are a disease to me. I want it gone. I've got money so it's a little one-sided for me.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm

I think I will take the cash, I can invest it and use it to fill the gaps created by AS

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 3:39 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
So in other words, I'd lose nothing, but I wouldn't have to jump through government hoops constantly?

Pretty much. Also, I suppose you'd be free to live wherever you wanted in the world, rather than wherever you can get benefits. So you could move to Vietnam or Thailand or something and live pretty well there.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 6:47 am

FMX wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Pretty much. Also, I suppose you'd be free to live wherever you wanted in the world, rather than wherever you can get benefits. So you could move to Vietnam or Thailand or something and live pretty well there.

Yes immigration restrictions are for ordinary folks, not millionaires, and there are still countries where a million would really set you up for life.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:46 am

I'd take the million bucks, without a question. Most NTs would kill for that kind of opportunity!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 9:26 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'd take the million bucks, without a question. Most NTs would kill for that kind of opportunity!

As long as the murder was indirect, I'm sure you're right, though I think it's human beings rather than NTs as such who are like that.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Apr 2015, 3:59 pm

slave wrote:
ylevental wrote:
alex wrote:
A million dollars for sure.

Says the employed high-functioning aspergian

alex
Developer
Developer

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Location: Beverly Hills, CA :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

You do realize that with a million dollars you could live off 50,000 / year for 20 years so no job would be necessary unless you wanted a higher standard of living.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm

$1 million. I am very happy with the way I am, and wouldn't change it for the world. Besides, there are so many ways I would have like to use the money (invest it, buy some things, etc.)

On a slightly related note:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:43 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
FMX wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Yes immigration restrictions are for ordinary folks, not millionaires, and there are still countries where a million would really set you up for life.

The only place I'd like to move to is New Zealand. I'm a fan of Australia's standards of living.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:45 pm

1 million dollars, no contest. That's about 7 million NOK, and would last me a very long time.
I don't wanna stop being myself. I would like to be better off. Win-win.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 7:06 pm

existentialterror wrote:
Had to think long and hard on this one. I actually think that even without the Aspergers I would still be rather socially isolated. Also have severe anxiety, depression, etc. Those conditions are also isolating. Know a handful of people that seem extremely isolated, but they don't have Aspergers.

That does bring up an interesting point. What would it be like to be an NT? That is something that I can't even really conceptualize since I am not one. Not sure how it would be to actually have good social skills, be popular, be able to read non-verbal cues, really fit it. I am sure there are some downsides to it, but probably not as much as the downsides that come with Asperger's. Somedays I think that Asperger's really sucks and that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.