How did your family perceive Your autism?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 3:13 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Does anyone have any NTs in their lives who resent the term "neurotypical"?

I have never used such term outside of WP.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 3:15 pm

iliketrees wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Does anyone have any NTs in their lives who resent the term "neurotypical"?

I have never used such term outside of WP.

I suppose now I know why I got the reaction I did. :)

Jensaarai
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2015, 3:23 pm

My family's perception of my Autism is kinda disappointing. They refuse to learn about it or listen to any input, especially mine. Gee, I'm only the one that's on the Spectrum lol. My Dad makes such enlightened comments like I need to be 'more Neurotypical'. I replied to this by asking if he would as a black person to be 'more white' or a gay person to be 'more straight' and how does this differ in relation to his comment. Hasn't come back with a reply.

EdgySpirit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2015, 3:42 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

My dad is a PhD in Civil Engineering (what an aspie course lol) and I've seen mild autistic traits in him.
Could be so. We didn't have Asperger's syndrome in my day, (which makes me laugh when I see stats about the Autism Epidemic increasing exponentially when no one had even heard of it until long after I left school. Think of all the under diagnosing that has gone on 8O ). 'Rain Man' hadn't even been released.

Lakif
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2015, 5:22 am

It's been mentioned in a previous post, but I feel being patronised is a possible, if not likely, symptom of disclosing my diagnosis. At least to those members of my extended family. I really don't want to lower expectations of my capabilities in their minds, should they apply their perception of the label.

I realise they'll already know I'm 'different' and may or may not know there's a name for it, but I'm struggling to make that disclosure, to be honest. Anyone else in the same boat?

Some of the posts I've read here haven't done much to change my view, at least for the time being.