Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:07 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
"Look me in the eye and tell me you didn't eat the last cannoli!"

I love cannoli. There is an Italian restaurant here, that makes them with dark chcolate shavings and they are so incredibly good.

(forgive me for going off topic)

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:48 pm

Judas wrote:
Come to think of it, never.
What's so special about it?

Eye contact is particularly unnerving, and makes taking in what the other communicant is saying, rather difficult!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 7:23 pm

Not so much now but when I was a child I heard it often.

I don't believe that if you don't do eye contact that your lying as the biggest liars are masters of eye contact.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 7:42 pm

Often, When I was at VR my caseworker's boss asked me to look at them when I was talking I often have eye contact issues.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 9:33 pm

From parents, teachers, doctors, therapists, and psychologists. I can never do it. However, I have been able to make eye contact with other autistics, siblings, and few close friends. Anyone else, barely sees what my eyes look like.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 9:42 pm

From parents, teachers, doctors, therapists, and psychologists. I can never do it. However, I have been able to make eye contact with other autistics, siblings, and few close friends. Those people can tell you what my eyes are like. Other autistics I know seem to struggle over this as well, but we can make eye contact, and I usually know what they are thinking so it's not so scary.

Lakif
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2015, 2:47 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
Judas wrote:
Come to think of it, never.
What's so special about it?

Eye contact is particularly unnerving, and makes taking in what the other communicant is saying, rather difficult!

The maximum time I can maintain eye contact with someone I'm not close to seems to be about 5 seconds or so, and that's when I've made a conscious effort to maintain it. I just need to look anywhere, at anything else, just to sort of mentally reset. But I do notice a lot more detail in terms of facial expressions, or subtleties which would obviously go unnoticed if I were looking away.

Wish I could maintain it longer, but I always feel like I'm staring blankly and they'll notice.