How many of you fellow aspies suffer from insomnia?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you suffer from insomnia?
Have/had in the past suffered from sever insomnia 43%  43%  [ 17 ]
Have/had in the past moderate insomnia 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
Mild insomnia 25%  25%  [ 10 ]
Never suffered from insomnia 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 40

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 10:46 pm

I sleep horribly on weekends or vacation but sleep soundly during the school week to be awoken by my phone early in the morning.

Lakif
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2015, 8:01 am

Severe insomnia for me and I really hate it. As has been said, my day goes much worse when I'm tired.

I'd been taking anti-depressants for years which meant I could fall asleep quicker and not wake up as much, yet I never fully felt refreshed in the morning.

I thought having a routine sleeping time like I get from being in employment would help, but it just means I can't sleep in should I have a bad night's sleep. All the 'sleep hygiene' advice in the world doesn't seem to cure it and I'm loath to take any more meds again.

Interesting to see that a majority of respondents are in the severe camp.

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2015, 9:34 am

I have in the past (as a child, I was so afraid of the sensation of falling asleep that I'd stay up until I passed out due to sheer exhaustion), but these days, I tend to be pretty good at getting a good night's sleep. (During PMS every month, though, my insomnia returns with a vengeance.)

What I do is I watch an episode of "Friends" (a show I know so well that it actually bores me) and take a dose of Tylenol. (Tylenol has been shown to dull emotional pain, and it helps with my general achiness at the end of the day, too.) I know that's not the healthiest way to get a good night's sleep, but it's what works for me, and that's what really matters.

Aspician
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Oct 2015, 2:33 am

My whole life. Trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep, sleep apnea, allergies, RLS...

I do load up on heavy blankets and I find that this helps. It seems to also cause me to be in more pain in the morning though (I have chronic pain).

Lately I've had a real problem with falling asleep and waking up repeatedly as I'm going to sleep. I end up having to get up just to break the cycle. Does anyone else experience this?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 4:25 am

I don't suffer from it, but I have a lot of reasons and causes of having it.

I might have a severe case since youth. So far I only felt temporary issues that never lasts a day. Only serious issues that I know ending up with has something to do with punctuality.
I don't like sleep in general, so I won't mind. Can't go to sleep easily due to allergies, postural (either discomfort or another odd respiratory reaction), if not a hyperactive mind, or involuntarily like an actual insomnia.

Even I'm sleep deprived whenever such things happens, most at the time I don't exactly feel tired or sleepy.
If it happens, it only happens for a short time, then I end up back to 'not-sleepy' state. I don't even know where I end up getting those 'energy' when I'm involuntarily awake and not feeling like a restless zombie.
And it feels more like the feeling of 'waiting for nothing' feeling than restless-tired-and-cranky-because-I-cant-sleep.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 5:04 am

Other than sleeping pills, or anti depressants, the only thing available is Sleep Hygiene. You can Google, and there are useful tips, if you are doing things you did not realize that affect you sleep, and there is some advice to help people sleep. Sadly that it does not work for some people. Even if you go to sleep doctors in clinics, ultimately the only advice and help can be found in the advice found on the pages of Sleep Hygiene. If you have not tried it, maybe you can give it a try.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2015, 5:21 am

"Greasy insomnia all over me! I can't get no sleep!" as the song says.

I cannot switch my head off, too many tabs open and lie there tossing and turning; usually end up getting up and watching one of the awful cops and robbers show that are perpetually on the TV. Like other have said, I have to wait until I can barely keep my eyes open and then grab a few hours before the alarm goes off.

It usually arrives at the same time as an involuntary neck spasm/twitch kicks in and a flare up on my eczema on my shins and top of my feet. Very uncomfortable few weeks they are.

I use Melatonin for a couple of nights which usually helps my inner clock to re-set, but I also have to try and deal with the anxiety/stress inducing situation which is normally the pre-cursor. Not always as easy as it sounds.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 5:56 am

I had a nightmare that woke me up just now. It's 2:30 AM and had went to sleep around 9. I know where the disturbance in the force came from, though. I've been getting a hard time recently from the director of this transitional shelter I live in. She wants me to go live in a city that'll trigger my drug addiction but I told her I'd return to living in my car instead.