My parents won't let me join a fraternity because of hazing

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

21 Sep 2015, 6:08 pm

I know some autistic people who got a lot out of joining fraternities. I didn't ever join one myself but have always wondered if I missed out.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 6:25 pm

My dad was in a Jewish one, says he liked it but I do know he didn't spend much time there. He's also more or less NT...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 7:37 pm

Hazing is just a fancy word for bullying.....why would you want to subject yourself to that? and why on earth would you want to do it to other people?

I think such institutions take away from the educational benefits of college I mean what purpose do these serve anyways. Anyways the idea is to weed out people who are a little different, socially akward or don't fit in with the status quo or at least tear them down as much as possible. Based on your picture especially if you bring all those action figure looking things on your shelves to a frat dorm you'd probably be mocked immediately and have it continue indefinitely...and the worse part is you'd have to live with these people. I mean I am sure you've heard of people passing out at parties and having stuff drawn on them, well I've heard of much worse than that happening....like how'd you like to wake up with the other frat boys borderline sexually assaulting you like hanging their balls in your face without your consent? Would you rather potentially have an a**hole room-mate, or live with a whole house of a**holes with constant partying and chaos going on? You could potentially look into having your own dorm room but not sure all colleges have that option.

Either way I don't see how one would benefit from a frat house aside from making social connections with sh*tty people. Also frat houses do get shut down for getting out of control, not sure I have heard of someone being like killed at one...but I am sure there have been drug overdoses, alcohol poisoning and suicides related to excessive hazing/bullying.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm

The risk is mostly in all the fights that start because of this, or the drinking that started it all. I think they put Greek initials on their houses because of denial about repeating the history of Rome in the west.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

WillTheSpartan1997 wrote:
cberg wrote:
No, actually she's completely right dude, hazing kills people every year. Just read my newspapers. Dorm roomies are as*holes!? Dude I live in a college town and the frat guys my age barely even know how to drive. They also can't communicate as well as most aspies, which leads to more fights than hazing. All but one guy I met in my friends' dorms were nice people. You're asking your parents to buy you friends. I'm forced to wonder if you're interested in learning anything.

You want to live with a bunch of roid raged know-nothings with chronic inferiority complexes? Drink PBR and Rolling Rock as if they could pass for beer anywhere else? You want your furniture thrown out your window on fire? Man I gotta say as far as naiveté goes on WP this takes the cake.

Listen looking back it wasn't a good idea but 90% of the time dormmates will kick you out so they can have sex my cousin had that happen to him 30 times if you want to do that get a hotelroom thats all I'm asking

Uhh actually both dorm mates have equal authority over the dorm room, not saying a room-mate wouldn't try but its your room just as much as theirs and if they were unwilling to communicate or compromise on anything you could probably change dorm-mates. Did this cousin of yours ever confront their dorm mate?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 7:52 pm

Why on earth would anyone sensible wanna be a frat boy?

Seriously, the whole greek thing is not for people who zig when others zag.

WillTheSpartan1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Sep 2015, 9:44 pm

I would like to thank everybody for there responses I was just angry at the time I just wanted to fit in at college because I'm barely invited to anything and I'm sad because of it. If you have any more advice please let me know

WillTheSpartan1997

21 Sep 2015, 9:46 pm

cberg wrote:
alex wrote:
Won't allow you? Once you're in college, you'll be 18 (a legal adult) and you'll be allowed to do whatever you want regardless of what your parents say. . .

and when she told me people die of hazing that did put some fear into me

Well yeah, that's a stupid, pointless, awful way to go. You know what you should do instead of joining a frat? Learn to drive a proper car (if you have two legs, get three pedals), spend the money you'd otherwise waste on those numbskulls and their Escalade collection getting a proper car with enough power and deal with your anger on your commute like everybody else. If hazing doesn't kill frat guys, SUV rollovers, alcohol poisoning, STDs, cocaine/ecstasy/pills/et cetera, designer drugs and fights easily can. I'll give you a pointer - you REALLY don't want your drink spiked, and nobody here even knows the full list of drugs that end up in those solo cups.

Oh, you want friends for life. Yeah, last I checked, taking all your rage out on other people is not conducive to that. What do you want your degree in anyway?

I want a degree in film

WillTheSpartan1997

21 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Hazing is just a fancy word for bullying.....why would you want to subject yourself to that? and why on earth would you want to do it to other people?

I think such institutions take away from the educational benefits of college I mean what purpose do these serve anyways. Anyways the idea is to weed out people who are a little different, socially akward or don't fit in with the status quo or at least tear them down as much as possible. Based on your picture especially if you bring all those action figure looking things on your shelves to a frat dorm you'd probably be mocked immediately and have it continue indefinitely...and the worse part is you'd have to live with these people. I mean I am sure you've heard of people passing out at parties and having stuff drawn on them, well I've heard of much worse than that happening....like how'd you like to wake up with the other frat boys borderline sexually assaulting you like hanging their balls in your face without your consent? Would you rather potentially have an a**hole room-mate, or live with a whole house of a**holes with constant partying and chaos going on? You could potentially look into having your own dorm room but not sure all colleges have that option.

Either way I don't see how one would benefit from a frat house aside from making social connections with sh*tty people. Also frat houses do get shut down for getting out of control, not sure I have heard of someone being like killed at one...but I am sure there have been drug overdoses, alcohol poisoning and suicides related to excessive hazing/bullying.

Well I right now can't get an apartment simply because I don't have the money, and like I said I don't want a butthole dormmate that will kick me out so he can have sex

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 9:53 pm

If you treat people the way you want to be treated, I'm sure you'll be able to make friends.

Joining a fraternity would not help you in the least.

I'm sure you can make friends in the process of creating a film.

If some idiot tries to exclude you from your room to have sex, report him to the dorm authorities. People can't be doing that. Most people wouldn't do that, anyway.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 9:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well I right now can't get an apartment simply because I don't have the money, and like I said I don't want a butthole dormmate that will kick me out so he can have sex

Not sure how you figure being part of a frat house would alleviate that problem...I am not so sure everyone in a frat house gets their own private room for one so may still have to have a room-mate. And with all the partying and douchebaggery that goes on in those places its not that hard to fathom people messing with your stuff, or even having sex on your bed more-so than you'd risk in a regular dorm room.

Also there is no guarantee if you get in a dorm your room mate will be a butthole who kicks you out to have sex.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 10:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you treat people the way you want to be treated, I'm sure you'll be able to make friends.

If some idiot tries to exclude you from your room to have sex, report him to the dorm authorities. People can't be doing that. Most people wouldn't do that, anyway.

Yeah most dormitories don't allow 'overnight' visitors I am pretty sure.

WillTheSpartan1997

21 Sep 2015, 10:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

your right I just had a lot of issues at the time

WillTheSpartan1997

21 Sep 2015, 10:15 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Not sure how you figure being part of a frat house would alleviate that problem...I am not so sure everyone in a frat house gets their own private room for one so may still have to have a room-mate. And with all the partying and douchebaggery that goes on in those places its not that hard to fathom people messing with your stuff, or even having sex on your bed more-so than you'd risk in a regular dorm room.

Also there is no guarantee if you get in a dorm your room mate will be a butthole who kicks you out to have sex.

I guess I never thought of reporting to dorm authorities because I didn't think they existed and I just don't want to live with my parents during college I mean I like living with them I just don't want to look like a loser because thats what I hear people say about students who still live with their parents and I would like to live on campus.

WillTheSpartan1997

21 Sep 2015, 10:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I never knew there were dorm authorities

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 10:19 pm

getting into a fraternity is one huge popularity contest. i didn't pledge a sorority because rush is so mean. one girl on my hall cried for hours because she didn't get in. if you think being thrown out for roommate sex is bad in the dorms, wait 'til you're expected to be part of a gang rape in a frat (happened on my campus while i was there).