Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 2:17 am

I only frown when Sol is particularly bright.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 3:42 am

1) Do you consider Aspies superior/inferior in general?
Neither.

2) Are we the successive step of evolution away from the neuro-typical type human beings?
It's too early to draw conclusions. Evolution takes some time, oftenly. Except maybe in Silicon Valley?

3) Is it possible we are a step backward in the evolutionary process due to external influences such as brain chemical imbalances?
Backwards? As in aspergians being closer than NTs to Homo Ergaster or something like that? Well, I doubt it.

4) Is it possible that we aren't so much as a step forward/backward as we are a step to the side?
Well, I tend to disagree with the perspective "forward/backward", so yes, I find it likely.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 4:14 am

Inferior - look at the way the world is; chaotic, primal, ignorant, social - all areas we don't fare to well in.

2) Are we the successive step of evolution away from the neuro-typical type human beings?

Hardly. Evolution is about adaptation, which we can't really do without having to pretend not to be ourselves. Evolution is also natural, not the result of improper neuron formation in the brain.

3) Is it possible we are a step backward in the evolutionary process due to external influences such as brain chemical imbalances?

No. All this talk of evolution is crap. It's a petty attempt to scrape around for a justification for our deficiencies.

4) Is it possible that we aren't so much as a step forward/backward as we are a step to the side?

We are a deviation from the norm. Therefore, back and to the left.

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2007, 6:37 am

I am somewhat elitist... (although not about whether Asperger syndrome is better or worse than being neurotypical) I find it unfair when a bunch of people are treated the same when some of them are obviously superior or inferior.

Anyway... the questions.

NTs have inferior, normal and superior, Aspies also have it. So as a group, neither NTs and Aspies is better or worse. But as individuals, there's a chance either will be superior or inferior.

No...

No, if that was the case then certain mental disorders would cause someone to evolute backwards because their brain chemicals are imbalanced...

4) Is it possible that we aren't so much as a step forward/backward as we are a step to the side, as in an offshoot?
If I have understood the question correctly, I think that's what I think about AS.

Stickinsect2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 May 2007, 2:17 pm

Logicite wrote:
Elitism: The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

I will take a neutral stance while surfing through any forum dedicated to gathering those from the spectrum. Many numbers have taken on an elitist mentality perhaps understandably, while the remainders have either been neutral (that's my view), or gone against it entirely. I have a number of questions to ask you that pertain to your personal opinion. Sharing our thoughts with one another can bring everyone (AS or NT alike) together for mature discussion on the matter.

No.
Logicite wrote:

Evolution doesn't "step forward". It just adapts species to be the best at their particular environment. Viewing any "progress" or "improvement" in evolution is usually just human vanity. I don't think evolution is involved with AS anyway.
Logicite wrote:

No. See previous question.
Logicite wrote:
4) Is it possible that we aren't so much as a step forward/backward as we are a step to the side, as in an offshoot?

No, it's a condition. Aspies are not a subspecies or anything like that and breed with NTs far too much to be considered an "offshoot".