Do you have an unusual-sounding voice?

Page 4 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2007, 1:33 pm

My voice when I'm teaching sounds normal to me, but in everyday life I hate my voice. I don't enunciate my words very well, it's all wobbly and horrible and when I talk people stop and look at me like I'm a freak. Or maybe I'm just paranoid, but it's still a stupid, rubbish voice. :-)

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2007, 7:13 pm

I have a southern accent and kind of sound like a 14 year old boy - deep for a female but not manly. I have been mistaken for a guy on the phone once.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 10:29 pm

Just out of curiousity, no offense is intended, for the guys that have high voices. Are you heterosexual, with other secondary sex characteristics? I am just curious. It IS odd. And some here have admitted to being homosexual or "bi-sexual". A number of homosexuals DO have a voice that is a half octave higher or so.

I am heterosexual, and look normal, etc... When people asked about LOOKING younger, I said I sounded like I was 20. Sometimes I THOUGHT my voice sounded pretty high, but nobody has commented on that, and I have actually recorded it during such times, and found that it sounded the same as usual. Anyway, I sound like I am maybe 20, or half my age. I did when I was about 20 also.

Steve

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 10:53 pm

I have no problem with inflection any more, and can even manipulate it to my choosing. I tend to be a rather charismatic individual, and this only serves to add to my charisma. It took about 4 years of practice to get my inflection perfect. The downside is, I used to be able to do several accents, and I cannot hit any high notes when singing (relegating me to blues and folk music, as well as classic rock like Jethro Tull [which, I'd like to add, I sound like Ian Anderson when Tull plays live. I also share his and Leo Fender's Birthday]).

Stevo_the_Human
Raven
Raven

18 May 2007, 2:57 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBubaHqeQVw[/youtube]

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 3:03 pm

Stevo_the_Human wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBubaHqeQVw[/youtube]

Nice chord chart behind you.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 5:35 pm

I'm from Tennessee so I have a southern accent too.

But since my Dad is from New Hampshire, I somehow inherited his bright, clear northern accent. So my accent is somewhere in between. At a place where every northerner asks me "Are you from the south?" and every southerner asks me "Are you from the north?"

>.<

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 1:42 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
I do, since I have trouble speaking most of the time. :(

I had echolalia as a child and also I had trouble recognising my voice - it sounded strange, like it didn't belong to me.

I used to speak with limited tonal variation and when I was in an excited or very anxious or angry mood (when emotional) I couln't control my tone at all - my pitch was completely erratic and I got picked on because of it.

I couldn't shout or whisper or 'speak quietly' I was frequently repremanded for speaking at the wrong volume which just frustrated me because no-one seemd to want to understand that I had such difficulty speaking that it was a real effort for me to say anything at all - all they did was focus on the negative and criticise.

I could communicate very well in writing, from a very early age and I had a good vocabulary.

I also speak really quickly - not deliberately and I don't even notice - I only know because other people keep telling me or because they have recorded it and played it back to me.

I saw a speech and drama teacher when I was 17 who worked intensively with me to add tonal variation to my voice and to teach me tonal expression and basic body language and appropriate gesticulations. It really helped - I feel that I sound and generally communicate like a 'real' person. It took A LOT of work though and I have to remember it by rote - it doesn't just come naturally.

I still speak quickly (well, people say I do) but I don't really care as I think that people should focus on what I CAN do and what I have learned rather than just criticising and criticising...

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 2:19 pm

I have monotonous voice without intonation. I study English in a teacher - training college and this peculiarity of mine got me into trouble several times during my methodology course when the students had to prepare their presentations. My teacher said every time that my voice was very flat and monotonous and she did not like my poor eye contact with a rest of the group :roll: As a result I was given a worse grade. What is more, my thoughts are much faster than my tongue - I say too slowly (because I can not find a good counterpart of my thought) or too quickly (and then I am gabbling). But I always try to do my best to hide my problems with speech and probably people do not notice anything (I hope so). Situation is much better when I am with people I know very well.

Last edited by Irulan on 22 May 2007, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2007, 5:40 am

My voice is very thick for a girl... and when I become excited or angry, my voice volume increases. My 2nd grade teacher was worried about me because of this LOL.

My voice is somewhat monotone and lacks emotion and it just sounds fake if I try to change the tempo, tone, etc to go along with the meaning of my words, so I don't bother with it.

7on
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2007, 5:51 am

Mumble and a lost southern accent (sounds almost southern but lost all mannerisms and dialect, except when it creeps out). My southern accent made me sound slow and dim witted.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 6:15 am

My voice is pretty normal, it can sound a bit pressured sometimes though. I sound exactly the same as my sister, whether I've copied her or we have similar voice box architecture I don't know. I had a friend at school her voice was high pitched and whiny, she was paranoid, anorexic, brilliant at art, clever, awkward gait, sensitive, prone to tantrums I wonder is she was AS too?

devunea
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2007, 3:40 pm

everyone thinks i sound like my mom. my voice is low and soft. and i think i laugh funny.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 3:50 pm

My voice is deep and soft. I can't sound enthusiastic without sounding fake.

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

20 May 2007, 6:46 pm

I don't know about unusual
but people (my parents especially) used to tell me that i talk to loud. I have trouble controling the volume. My mom even tells people that I am incapable of whispering. :?

I pick up accents easily and sometimes just do it for no reason. I don't often notice, but every once in a while i'll think "wow. why am i talking like..." My friend once said my accent is a mix of southern, new york, and english. 8)

I also pick up slang and ways of speaking very easily. I go to a school with people who speak in a "ghetto" manner, and my speech matches theirs. I don't mean to speak that way or use those words but it's what comes out of my mouth even when i think of something else. Most people don't believe me and just say i have poor speech skills, "need to work on my vocabulary", or just talk ghetto. :|

My voice is a little deep for a girl and people say i have a bit of a "sing-song" way to my speech sometimes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 8:12 pm

I was born in Canada, but I have a Cockney accent. I think I'll stop bragging, now. :)