Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

WillTheSpartan1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2015, 6:42 pm

Hello my name is Will I'm 17 years old and I have aspergers syndrome and I have a question. Now it's not that I'm a slacker I legitimate don't like my school. Freshman year I was always nervous because I was freshmeat for the upperclassmen but nothing happened luckily. Sophmore year was the worst year ever because everybody was a jerk two me and I got in a couple of fights and I got suspended even though I was defending myself, Junior year was mixed because I had a car and it was a hard year because I got a C for a while in math class which is one of my difficult subjects. Now in Senior year its hard because I got to study for 3 tests in one night which is hard for me and I have a BS class called american government which boring, I don't care about americas political structure I'm sorry but I don't care, and don't you dare say "welcome to the real world" because in adult life there is no studying for three tests in one night. And I believe America needs to change it's educational system because its shoving useless information down my throught like math and Politics which I don't want and don't need in my career (which is directing and scriptwriting). Plus when I told my parents they told me that this is what college life is like so that tells me they are going to force me to take BS classes that have nothing to do with my career I thought that college was for getting your degree in your career, not taking BS classes. So is this a valid reason?

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2015, 7:04 pm

School is a horrid place - hated it - life begins when you get the hell out of the devils pit

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:11 pm

School often seems to be more difficult for Aspies because of the BS factor. If your parents are paying your college tuition, guess maybe you are stuck with what they want you to take. Maybe you can work out a balance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:19 pm

I know it doesn't seem right.....but you might benefit from your "BS" classes down the road. People shouldn't spend their whole life just learning one aspect of things. It's good to learn economics, just like it's good to learn how to act in a theatrical manner.

I can understand you feeling overwhelmed with studying for three tests in one night.

Good luck on the tests!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:27 pm

You don't have to like school. Most people don't like school. But of course there's a difference between disliking it and completely hating it because your life there is made miserable.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 9:39 pm

I hated it. Didnt learn a damn thing there; bloody terrible education system, really.

I know tons of stuff... but I learned all of it elsewhere. From school, I learned mostly three things: 1, how to read (kindergarten/preschool/whatever) 2, how to type (highschool) and 3, alot of people are jerks (also highschool).

Everything else they "taught" was useless or just boring.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 9:57 pm

Of course it's ok to not like your school. You don't have to like anything or dislike anything. Your feelings are your own and nobody can tell you what you can and can't feel or think.

As for the BS classes, well here is the thing about it. School teaches you some specific academic things and also some general knowledge things. Unless you are getting a specialized degree in high school for a particular trade or profession then you have to take things that many different people may need to know in their career, and also general knowledge that is simply useful to know in life because it sometimes comes up. Lots of things will never come up, like how to diagram a sentence or word problems in math about the two trains, but even though you don't care how the government works and it's history now, you may be interested in it when you are older. Nobody can say with any certainty what they will or will not be interested in, in the future. Also, it's good to know how the country you live in actually works, or is supposed to work and how we got to where we are.

My husband is an electrician by trade. He graduated high school and had to take all kinds of things that had nothing to do with what he does for a living. Then he went to college and had to take other electives that didn't either, along with his electrical courses. However, he is now very interested in some of the things he learned in history and government, etc. He's a big WWII buff, and wasn't then but is now. He's glad he learned it. You may not be, but one day you may be sitting there talking to somebody you are attracted to and they bring up politics or govt or something you weren't interested in at all in school and you may be glad you know a little about it so you can keep talking to them even though you don't give a rats ass about it in actuality. Also, these things are considered common knowledge and when people don't know them as adults, others tend to think they may be kind of stupid. That isn't true of course, you may have just not paid attention at all, but things that are common knowledge are going to be important to know even though they aren't part of what you plan on doing.

I'd say just learn it and get through it and then move on to college. They require certain courses to graduate because a well rounded education is important. People should have some knowledge of many subjects and a good bit of knowledge about a few subjects that they are interested in and pursued study of. So get through the general knowledge courses, knowing that every adult in America is supposed to know these things. A lot of political stuff comes up in conversation as well. Much more than you would think it would, when you are grown. You'll be glad you have more than the absolute basic idea of it when it does come up. Really.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 11:24 pm

I was happy to get out of my high school. My parting quote in my Grade 12 yearbook was, "Good bye....I'm out of here!"