Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 3:04 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
For what it is worth I have literally never in my entire life seen a male cry ever not past the age of 3? Basically after all that cultural BS conditioning kicks in.

Thats interesting, now that you mention it i have only really seen males cry in very particular circumstances, at a funeral, and when in an intimate (not sexual) 'safe' environment.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 3:11 pm

The original meaning of the word intimate had nothing whatsoever to do with sex.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 3:18 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
The original meaning of the word intimate had nothing whatsoever to do with sex.

Yes am sure you are right, often gets misinterpreted as being so i think.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 3:21 pm

Too many common words these days now refer to either yucky stuff or sex. I can't stand it! :x

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 3:31 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
Too many common words these days now refer to either yucky stuff or sex. I can't stand it! :x

Yeah i feel you.

looniverse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2015, 3:37 pm

I cry more easily as I get older. As a teenager I pretty much never cried. Even when my mom told us she had cancer, I didn't cry like my siblings did.

Now, I think I cry as a result of sensory overload. Most often it has nothing to do with sadness, though. I am most likely to tear up when I experience beauty in art and nature. I also get choked up by other people exhibiting noble, idealistic, and altruistic behavior.

I just try not to let other people see me all misty eyed.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 3:54 pm

I also get choked up by other people exhibiting noble, idealistic, and altruistic behavior.

Yes me too, i think i am more prepared to feel bad, but have not blocked responses so much to this kind of feeling.

KwisatzHaderach
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2015, 5:32 pm

I used to cry a lot when I was in primary school. Anytime I fell over and scraped my knee or when someone picked on me I would begin to cry. I don't think I've really cried since I hit my teenage years; since puberty my emotions feel a lot less close to the surface. I'm 21 now and I cannot remember the last time I properly cried; it was probably around when I was 12 or 13.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 5:59 pm

I don't cry. I'm not sure I can. I didn't do it much as a child either. Not because Iwas told not to, I just don't feel the need.

PorridgeGuy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2015, 6:06 pm

Been crying a lot lately due to anxiety/panic, but not in public. Before that I rarely cried. Before funerals was an exception. As a child I got bullied a lot which made me burst out in anger, but when I got time for myself to comprehend it i cried.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 8:24 pm

I cry a lot when I'm feeling stressed out or frustrated. I try to be careful not try cry around other people though.

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2015, 8:45 pm

A lot of times I can't cry, but what usually happens is that stuff piles on and piles on, and then finally I've had it and I start crying, usually over something stupid. People will call me childish because they think I'm crying over the minor frustration that just happened that isn't really something most people would cry about, but actually there is a lot of crap building up, and I've been pushed over the edge and I start crying like an idiot. Also, if I am seriously overloaded I will cry, but that overload has to be pretty severe. Usually I just stim.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 11:41 pm

InsomniaGrl wrote:
Do you cry often? I hardly ever cry, though i am upset and sad often. The last time i cried was briefly after someone i liked left where i work. That was not in work but at home afterwords. Rarely i shed a tear at some almost random not even necessarily sad thing in a film or something, but other than that nothing.
When i was about 15 i cried myself to sleep almost every night. Maybe having wet pillows and nothing changing made me stop bothering with crying.
What kinds of things do you cry at?

Good point! I myself seldom cry.. I feel in public it just draws more unnecessary attention to myself and makes an overwhelming situation more intense.. I have learnt as i have matured, to withhold those feelings.. Internally i am crying like a baby, but on the outside i may just show a blank expression, like a deer in headlights! sometimes that dear's eyes may water a little and maybe on very rare occasions a single tear may fall, but suppress those emotions when i feel it building up to a point i know i will break down, my crying face looks like a squashed Sasquatch! So i make sure if i do, to remove myself from the situation that has caused it and go home and lock my bedroom door, where i will deal with it verbally by talking to myself... Again i think this is down to practice as another area is with Adrenalin. As for instance someone coming up behind you to give you a shock, i will feel the sudden increase in adrenaline but then psychologically suppress it and erase it like a rubber.. This i learnt through surfing, as there are many times you are faced with life/death situations and panicking will only lead to a negative outcome.. We, as surfers have to suppress those feelings to cope with instant situations of overwhelming feelings to keep our heart rate at a normal pace so as in effect not drown when bowled over by a large wave... Many of us have also learnt in such a situation to go into an instant meditation, to control the heart rate so as not to use too much oxygen in the system.. I think this has helped me a lot with my Asperger's, as i feel i may have learnt these techniques to cope in sea and on land.. So for me, crying is an extension of the suppression techniques i have learnt, and being fearless as a child, as i was pretty nutty when it came to climbing trees or skateboarding down the road, but again learnt to deal with any sudden feeling of heightened emotion... I believe possibly like many on the spectrum, that many individuals have learnt to internalize said emotions as a coping mechanism.. But to someone viewing you face to face may feel you don't care of are emotionless when in fact you have the potential to feel such emotions in such a heightened way that the only way to control it is to learn to suppress it.

So yes i do cry a lot internally, but externally i will be plain faced and often mute as i am trying to concentrate on not letting my emotions overwhelm me to show it in a social situation... Wish i was able to have to suppress overwhelming joy, but alas it seems to be one emotion i rarely if ever get to feel.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 12:18 am

InsomniaGrl wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

Yeah i feel you.

Yep, 1000% agree! :roll:

piiigs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2015, 5:28 am

Hi, I don't cry much at all. Even as a baby I didn't cry much which my mother thought it was normal then had really hard time with my NT sister. However I sometime have these rush of emotions when I watch a puppy dying or something like that. I usually manages not to cry but my eyes get all red.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 5:44 am

Uncle wrote:
InsomniaGrl wrote:
Do you cry often? I hardly ever cry, though i am upset and sad often. The last time i cried was briefly after someone i liked left where i work. That was not in work but at home afterwords. Rarely i shed a tear at some almost random not even necessarily sad thing in a film or something, but other than that nothing.
When i was about 15 i cried myself to sleep almost every night. Maybe having wet pillows and nothing changing made me stop bothering with crying.
What kinds of things do you cry at?

Good point! I myself seldom cry.. I feel in public it just draws more unnecessary attention to myself and makes an overwhelming situation more intense.. I have learnt as i have matured, to withhold those feelings.. Internally i am crying like a baby, but on the outside i may just show a blank expression, like a deer in headlights! sometimes that dear's eyes may water a little and maybe on very rare occasions a single tear may fall, but suppress those emotions when i feel it building up to a point i know i will break down, my crying face looks like a squashed Sasquatch! So i make sure if i do, to remove myself from the situation that has caused it and go home and lock my bedroom door, where i will deal with it verbally by talking to myself... Again i think this is down to practice as another area is with Adrenalin. As for instance someone coming up behind you to give you a shock, i will feel the sudden increase in adrenaline but then psychologically suppress it and erase it like a rubber.. This i learnt through surfing, as there are many times you are faced with life/death situations and panicking will only lead to a negative outcome.. We, as surfers have to suppress those feelings to cope with instant situations of overwhelming feelings to keep our heart rate at a normal pace so as in effect not drown when bowled over by a large wave... Many of us have also learnt in such a situation to go into an instant meditation, to control the heart rate so as not to use too much oxygen in the system.. I think this has helped me a lot with my Asperger's, as i feel i may have learnt these techniques to cope in sea and on land.. So for me, crying is an extension of the suppression techniques i have learnt, and being fearless as a child, as i was pretty nutty when it came to climbing trees or skateboarding down the road, but again learnt to deal with any sudden feeling of heightened emotion... I believe possibly like many on the spectrum, that many individuals have learnt to internalize said emotions as a coping mechanism.. But to someone viewing you face to face may feel you don't care of are emotionless when in fact you have the potential to feel such emotions in such a heightened way that the only way to control it is to learn to suppress it.

So yes i do cry a lot internally, but externally i will be plain faced and often mute as i am trying to concentrate on not letting my emotions overwhelm me to show it in a social situation... Wish i was able to have to suppress overwhelming joy, but alas it seems to be one emotion i rarely if ever get to feel.

Interesting read :)