Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2015, 8:52 pm

Does anyone else here stim by repeating a certain word over and over? When I get overloaded or have anxiety, I wind up doing this with a word I like, and here lately, unfortunately, my word has been balls. If I'm scared or overwhelmed or whatever, I will say balls over and over again, and look really weird in front of NT's. If it's a milder overload, I will say Sequoia, which probably sounds better. My friends can tell very easily when I'm upset because I stand there and go, "Balls balls balls ballsy balls balls." It's like I can't stop saying it.

FizzyOrange
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2015, 10:30 pm

I talk in circles, grunt.

I've actually done this in public if it got out of control. I never understood it, before learning what stimming was.

Ninibear
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2015, 10:53 pm

I vocal stim a lot, but mostly I just make noises. The most common one is high pitched noises, which I make for fun but also when I'm stressed. I may also repeat the words over and over again for fun, although usually they're words that I made up. When people have upset me, I would repeat, "disgusting, disgusting, disgusting..." over and over again, either out loud or sometimes in my head if I really need to hide it.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 11:07 pm

I don't know if this qualifies. apparently I talk to myself when I think I am being perfectly quiet while working. I was tutoring someone once and they made a comment about the strange noises I was making. I've had times where I'm really focused on something and someone will actually ask what I said, or come close to answering.

It's been very disturbing to find out I vocalize when I am not aware of it. And, I do get stuck on words. Even to the point a few students have made fun of my speech patterns. I don't take it as mean though.

But, the vocalizing does worry me. What if something is coming out during those times when really stupid things go through my head.

Anyway, does that qualify as vocal stimming?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 4:10 am

If I'm very stressed I've growled at people. Or I say I don't like you even if nobody is around lol

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 5:40 am

I do vocal stimming in the forum of sounds usually. Although sometimes I say a string of F bombs if really upset. F***F***F***F***F***F***F***F***! !! !

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 7:34 am

This is one area where i wonder if specific diagnosis is so important as much as working with symptoms. I sometimes say a string of words over to myself when i get upset or agitated--anything from "dammit, dammit" to "it's ok" over and over.

My daughter does a lot of vocal stimming, grunting, and throat clearing but she is clearly diagnosed with Tourette syndrome due to obvious tics involving almost every part of her body at one time or another.

I do not have Tourette syndrome but some of my stimming--vocal and otherwise-- looks a lot like some of her tics. But regardless of the specific diagnosis, we wouldn't do things differently. We treat symptoms that are problematic to function, and don't fight the ones that aren't.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 7:35 am

EzraS wrote:
Although sometimes I say a string of F bombs if really upset. F***F***F***F***F***F***F***F***! ! ! !

I don't know anyone who hasn't done that. Is it a recurring thing?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8