Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

revolutionaryboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jan 2016, 10:33 am

I would say that I have a very young mind. I get very excited over simple things, still play with and carry around toys, enjoy kids' shows, and have a generally youthful personality. I also look much younger than I am. I'm in my twenties, yet I regularly get mistaken for a boy in his younger teens.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2016, 10:40 am

Quote:
No
The idea of set behavior for a given age is just stereotypical nonsense. We all learn things at our own pace based on when we encounter life enriching scenarios. See the young man sittin' in the old man's bar, waitin' for his turn to die.

Quote:
Perhaps, but they have found actual physiological differences in the brain which show that the Autistic brain is actually emotionally younger than its NT counterpart.

Quote:
Somehow I doubt that, links I posted it on a thread a couple of years ago. I will have to see if I can find it again.

I think it makes sense that your brain doesn't fundamentally change when getting older.

However,
1/ we are losing some neurons every day (and more if we are not intellectually active) - that has an impact on age
2/ a part of our behaviour must change with time. Indeed, a child has more time in its hands than an old person - that impacts every day activity, projects. By the way, makes me think that Asperger tend to have less notion of time passing by, so maybe "younger brain" (just hypothetic link)
3/ we use a little percentage of our brain and when one part becomes sick, the brain is able to compensate with other parts, this is amazing!

...our brain still has a lot to understand about itself :)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2016, 11:04 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Quote:
No
The idea of set behavior for a given age is just stereotypical nonsense. We all learn things at our own pace based on when we encounter life enriching scenarios. See the young man sittin' in the old man's bar, waitin' for his turn to die.

Quote:
Perhaps, but they have found actual physiological differences in the brain which show that the Autistic brain is actually emotionally younger than its NT counterpart.

Quote:
Somehow I doubt that, links I posted it on a thread a couple of years ago. I will have to see if I can find it again.

I think it makes sense that your brain doesn't fundamentally change when getting older.

However,
1/ we are losing some neurons every day (and more if we are not intellectually active) - that has an impact on age
2/ a part of our behaviour must change with time. Indeed, a child has more time in its hands than an old person - that impacts every day activity, projects. By the way, makes me think that Asperger tend to have less notion of time passing by, so maybe "younger brain" (just hypothetic link)
3/ we use a little percentage of our brain and when one part becomes sick, the brain is able to compensate with other parts, this is amazing!

The study does not show that the brain gets younger as we age. The study shows that the brain is younger and always has been. It was formed that way from the beginning.

Wreck It Ralph

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2016, 11:14 am

revolutionaryboy wrote:
I would say that I have a very young mind. I get very excited over simple things, still play with and carry around toys, enjoy kids' shows, and have a generally youthful personality. I also look much younger than I am. I'm in my twenties, yet I regularly get mistaken for a boy in his younger teens.

This must be annoying when you are 20 to look like a boy although you have the maturity.
It was the same for me, but now that i am 36, i am quite glad to look much younger :) :) :)

The child and the adult is the SAME person.
The only difference is that the adult is conditioned by social rules and has acquired experience and knowledges.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2016, 11:27 am

skibum wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
Quote:
No

Quote:

Quote:

Really? It sounds very much contradictory to say the brain gets "younger" when it gets "older"...
In this case "younger" would then mean "older". :D

However,

The study does not show that the brain gets younger as we age. The study shows that the brain is younger and always has been. It was formed that way from the beginning.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2016, 1:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
When I act emotionally mature (i.e., controlling my anger, speaking softly and with even tones, abstaining from profanity, et cetera), people get offended and call me dull, boring, and stupid.

When I'm emotionally expressive (i.e., laughing, crying, shouting, swearing, et cetera), people get offended and call me childish, annoying, and unstable.

When I express no emotions at all (i.e., being factual, reasonable, logical, et cetera), people get offended and call me closed-minded, contentious, and negative.

There is no way to manage one's emotions without someone taking offense and resorting to name-calling.

It's a catch 22 for me too. It seems like people sometimes want me to be more sociable but if I actually am able to they don't want to hear it because I'm too blunt.

Jensen wrote:
A "young mind" is probably a mind still inquisitive and interested in life outside the daily hamsterwheel = still alive!

I'm definitely inquisitive.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 10:55 pm

I hate having a young mind!! But it was good when I was in my early 40s & a woman thought I was 27, I told her my age & she very surprised.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 3:09 am

I'm a big kid, always will be.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 2:13 am

CryingTears15 wrote:
I often feel "younger" than sixteen, saying odd things and lacking in common sense.

I think my friends try to "protect" me from a lot of stuff. Like drugs and alcohol, which they do.

I have lack in common sense.