Does anyone else have a lazy eye/strabismus?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Does anyone have a lazy eye or strabismus?
Yes 71%  71%  [ 25 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
Other visual processing problem 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 35

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2016, 1:38 am

I voted yes but I also have visual snow syndrome and have had one occurlar migraine attack in my life.

QuirkyCookie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2016, 8:17 am

Born premature with lazy eyes, had surgeries on eyes in early childhood but still one lazy eye (even after surgery). Need glasses because cannot see what's far off and have super bad depth perception. I am also self aware Aspie and have other (physical) difference, but I dunno if they are related. Maybe, maybe not. It's an interesting thought though! I hope you figure it out! Regardless, I hope that you will feel calm and happy in your life and with yourself :) xx

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 9:02 am

I had strabismus until age 2, when I had an operation.

I still have "lazy eye" sometimes.

I'm both nearsighted, and have age-related farsightedness. I have astigmatism as well.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 2:04 pm

When I was younger people said I had amblyopia. Mainly because I'm farsighted and my left eye has a stronger prescription. My left eye couldn't see small details. When I got the proper prescription for astigmatism they could get my left eye to have normal vision. I still don't know if I had amblyopia or just uncorrected astigmatism.
I also have a bit of convergence insufficiency, so I find it hard to relax my eyes. I tried out a prism during my last eye appointment. I noticed my vision was clearer.

astroganga
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2016, 8:46 pm

I have very bad long sightedness, everything is blurred unless it is at least a foot away, but I also have astigmatism in one eye. The vision in both my eyes is completely different to each other. I also have 'wall eyes' not severely but enough to be noticeable, and nystagmus when I am tired. I should wear glasses or have contacts but the thought of contacts terrifies me and glasses really make me feel so uncomfortable I end up not wearing them.

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2016, 3:01 pm

I have strabismus & my research revealed it is common in autism. Both are neurodevelopement issues & often coexist with each other.

nouse
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2016, 4:44 pm

Yes.
Strabismus has potential of directly making your empathy impaired. As you can not make the sense of the world directly in front of your eyes in the same depth. Thus your responses to people including impaired eye contact will be affected negatively.

At least this is the case with my alternating strabismus. Eyes are constantly changing. Makes me also more recluse as I begin to feel too dizzy around lots of movement. Makes it very hard to cooperate with people.

If your leading eyes are not changing then you are lucky

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2017, 1:20 am

Tyri0n wrote:
I went to an optometrist who says a lot of my functionality (as opposed to social) problems (clutziness, bad driving, horrific sense of direction, etc.) is not because of my autism but because I have one eye that essentially is never used, so I don't have any spatial awareness. Apparently, I have strabismus also (my eyes don't move together; my left eye is turned out a lot of the time), which caused my left eye to shut off and never develop properly, in spite of always showing up as having 20/20 or better vision on eye exams.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem in ASD's, or if it's somehow related to ASD.

This is a neurological problem not an eye problem. Mine are the same way. When I was young I they prescribed glasses to fix it but it didn't work even though before glasses I had 20/10 vision. My eyes adjusted to the glasses & the strabismus continued & my eyes won't adjust back.

At age 26 I developed my own eye exercises to fix the strabismus. Now most of the time I use both eyes. It still wanders though if I'm tired. I'm still clumsy though & though I now have some depth perception it is not great. Also certain optical illusions will stress my brain & cause me to revert to monocular vision in spite of my best efforts to maintain stereo vision.

Yes, strabismus that is caused by neurological problems are definitely part of autism. Not all form of strabismus are related to autism though. This type definitely will also have other neurological manifestations such as motor dyspraxia or verbal dyspraxia. I have slight to moderate motor dyspraxia as I am slightly clumsy & have poor fine motor coordination. I can not work fast at all without creating issues. For example it has taken my over half an hour to type this short reply , something that a normal person would have done in couple of minutes or even seconds.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 1:33 pm

I have congenital Brown syndrome, which is a type of strabismus. Basically it means I can't look up with my left eye. I also have a weak eye muscle, according to my optometrist, and my eyes don't always work together well. I'm nearsighted as well, and my left eye has always needed a bit more correction than my right. There are also times when my eyes will rapidly move back and forth, especially if I'm tired.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"