Do you ever think you give the 'creep' vibe?

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

fluffyfluff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2016, 3:25 pm

I don't think i come off as creepy per say, i think its more that since i come off as awkward socially, and in addition is hyper self aware yet often camouflage this in being bubbly and friendly when i meet people, yet then comes periods were i go werehermit and isolate myself. In addition my interests might stand out as a big contrast to the mainstream, plus my interest takes up much of my free time, which to some might seem over the top.
So i guess its not really that i come off as creepy, i think its more that i appear alien to people since i'm not easy to read/ understand, and since they might be confused about were they have me, since i seem to change my ways of relating in waves.
In other words i puzzle people i guess, and that can cause discomfort

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 3:32 pm

us aliens gotta stick together! :alien: :alien: Image

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 3:33 pm

Yup! :D

fluffyfluff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2016, 3:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
us aliens gotta stick together! :alien: :alien: Image

Sure thing

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 4:02 pm

I'd like to meet the OP to see what that "creepy" vibe looks like when it comes from a woman, for a change. I'm so used to being the creep I don't really know how to behave around women anymore---any failure to studiously pretend I'm unaware of their existence, any split-second-long accidental eye contact earns me a disgusted and defensive look at best. I avoid sitting next to them or getting too close, but it's not enough.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 4:10 pm

^^^I can feel a lot of where you're comin' from there. I just stumbled upon this site, below- and it suddenly dawned on me in a visceral way, what those NTs must feel when they regard me-
(clicky)lifelike Russian dolls

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 5:28 pm

I'm not sure I get it---those faces look cute :nerdy:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 5:48 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

they are beautiful to us :heart: but to NTs they are creepy. same way WE are beautiful to us but to NTs we tend to be looked at askance just the same.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 10:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
I have actually been studying this for awhile, and it's my opinion that the "creepy" feeling comes from the neurotypical getting the subconscious idea that the aspie is pretending to be a regular person. As if a spy from a different country showed up in their social circle, dressed normal, except he clearly didn't know what a telephone was and his pants were on inside out.

or it could just be as simple as the aspie is different, in much the same way as a foreigner is different, they get a lot of the same askance glances.

Yes, but with a very different culture. People in the US, Africa, and Europe are fairly interchangeable until they speak, but also many other cultures are virtually identical in things like the space people keep between themselves when interacting, the way they eat, sit, walk, live in houses, and so on.

Here's an example. My friend once did this to me on purpose, messing with me. He is a gay man who works out, and we had been friends for years. I was in a store and a man came up behind, put his arms around me, hugging me tenderly, with his head pressed against my hair. All I saw were tan, muscular arms. Then he just stood there for a few beats too long. It was one of the scariest and weirdest moments of my life. Finally he let go and I was VERY relieved to see it was my friend and not some crazy person. He was being funny, but it was an example of how it's creepy when someone doesn't use appropriate social skills.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 11:00 am

Spiderpig wrote:

There are some studies in...Japan...? I can look up the links if anyone is interested. Anyway there are studies about how autistic children do not experience the Uncanny Valley effect (being creeped out by something that is closely human, but not human, like a zombie or an android), and are, in fact, more comfortable with artificial humans than real ones.

In the studies, they are using the androids or robotics or whatever to teach ABA like things to the children. Supposedly the children in the study have an easier time learning from the non-humans than from humans. Maybe because they're not being stressed out so much? I don't know. I've only read up on it here and there as a side interest.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Jan 2016, 11:08 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I am a neurotypical sociologist who studies autism from a minority standpoint, for anyone who doesn't know me. I have heard other neurotypical people discuss autistic people behind their backs many times.

I have heard young women (never men) refer to young aspies (never auties) as "creepy", either gender, but never an older autistic person. Say, never a person over 40.

I have never heard any person over 30 refer to any autistic person as "creepy."

I have never heard this in regards to online conversations, just in person. I believe the creepy judgement had to do with where the aspie was standing, how long they were hanging around after socialization was finished, and how well they were accomplishing small talk.

I have actually been studying this for awhile, and it's my opinion that the "creepy" feeling comes from the neurotypical getting the subconscious idea that the aspie is pretending to be a regular person. As if a spy from a different country showed up in their social circle, dressed normal, except he clearly didn't know what a telephone was and his pants were on inside out.

Seems as simple as guys who might be potentially interested in a relationship, after 40 or so they've given up or aren't seen that way. Most people want nothing to do with anybody on the spectrum, probably more so than if you just asked them about a generic disability.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 3:20 pm

Oh! I'd read about the Uncanny Valley, but I took for granted those faces were human-like enough to be past it. I didn't suspect I was supposed to be creeped out by them :?

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2016, 4:00 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I have actually been studying this for awhile, and it's my opinion that the "creepy" feeling comes from the neurotypical getting the subconscious idea that the aspie is pretending to be a regular person.

Yes, those who are not pretending dont appear creepy. With faking to be NT the distance to psychopathy is getting lower, in particular if someone is very tense.
(I am neurotypical, too.)

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 4:18 pm

Evam wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
I have actually been studying this for awhile, and it's my opinion that the "creepy" feeling comes from the neurotypical getting the subconscious idea that the aspie is pretending to be a regular person.

Yes, those who are not pretending dont appear creepy. With faking to be NT the distance to psychopathy is getting lower, in particular if someone is very tense.
(I am neurotypical, too.)

I've read that psychopaths can be quite relaxed and very charming when socializing. Of course, they have much different reasons for pretending than someone with ASD.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

I find the really fake charming people to be extremely obvious. They scare me, because I can tell the charm is put-on. Other people (NTs) often seem to fall for the fake charm.

I tend to get this feeling from salesman, ladies' men, very successful female professionals, lawyers, some doctors, etc.

Sociopaths, from what I've read, tend to be attracted to careers where they are in positions of power. Careers that are low-paying, require a lot of empathy, or that do not get a lot of recognition or admiration are not attractive to sociopaths.

A lot of the people that I get the creepy vibe from I think are either sociopaths or narcissists.

I know that I seem odd to others, but I don't think I usually creep them out.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 4:53 pm

Those faces are creepy to me, but then I've always been creeped out by that sort of doll. I'm waiting for the eyes to follow me.

My mind is drawn to the uncanny/spooky/weird. I have a kind of fetishistic thing about spooking myself out.

A girlfriend once complimented my 'bedroom eyes'. I had no idea what she meant, so looked it up. She was referring to my hooded eyes. Apparently it can convey a sort of 'sultry' and 'seductive' look. Of course, much of the time, day to day, it just looks creepy. Outside of a mutual context of lurve, it only looks like I'm trying to come on to someone via eye contact. I'm not. I'm just trying to catch their attention so I can get my order of chips in.

Add in my photosensitivity, which has me narowing my eyes unless it's particularly overcast (thanfully I live in Britain), and I probably come across as someone perpetually making intense eyes at people, when really it's just what my face does and 'bright light! Bright light!'.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.