Does anyone walk around in circles when they are nervous?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

28 Feb 2016, 2:45 am

I would when I was having panic attacks.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:54 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
not in circles but i do pace back and forth when im overwhelmed or nervous

Me to.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2016, 3:17 am

Sometimes I see Donald Duck do that, damaging his floor. ;)

Smilia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2016, 3:57 am

I had the habit before

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 5:03 am

I will either pace in a circle through my house or back and forth. I do it all the time. I don't only do it when nervous: sometimes I will pace if I'm excited or anticipating/waiting for something. It's more a manifestation of a hyperactive state of mind, I'd say.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 10:13 am

I get really annoyed with my pacing when I'm playing my bass guitar. Because I always pace anti-clockwise, I get my guitar and headphone cables in a right old tangle. The trance that I'm in when I'm playing is very often cut abruptly short because I've accidentally yanked a plug out of its socket, or I've tripped myself up!

DonTrump
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2016, 2:27 pm

Aspergirl16 wrote:
I do I can't keep still when I am nervous! People tell to just keep still. I can't! movement helps me keep calm. If I keep still I get even more nervous!

Aspies get anxiety and people with anxiety walk in circles. Walking in circles is not a sign of autism but it is a sign of anxiety.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:08 pm

I think it can be either - I've certainly seen more people do this than could be explained by them all being autistic.

On the other hand, I definitely circle pace as a stim - it has it's own special posture, and the pacing is the same when I am happy, excited, or lost in my music. On the other hand, I do it more when I'm anxious, at a much slower pace, and I chatter to myself a lot more (I'm usually pretty quiet when I'm pacing for joy).

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Feb 2016, 4:20 am

DonTrump wrote:
Aspergirl16 wrote:
I do I can't keep still when I am nervous! People tell to just keep still. I can't! movement helps me keep calm. If I keep still I get even more nervous!

Aspies get anxiety and people with anxiety walk in circles. Walking in circles is not a sign of autism but it is a sign of anxiety.

Yeah I think I get an anxiety attack when I walk around in circles it makes it better.

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Feb 2016, 9:25 am

When I am on the 'phone I find it impossible to sit stlll and will walk around the house. At work I pace the office and sometimes end up in the corridor when on mobile. If I am anxious I will set up a rhythmic pattern of walking around the house - I don't do this when anyone is around though (then I just sit with a cushion jammed onto my lap)

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 9:36 am

I find that I walk in small circles when I'm feeling anxious or having an overload, sometimes even muttering away to myself, mostly trying talk myself round and climbing back into my human disguise.

I love to walk when I need to think hard about something, this will be in the form of pacing around a room or up and down a hallway, though it works best when I'm outside, away from people,cars,and all that stuff. I could just walk and walk, and my brain seems to work a little better at sorting things.

Your head is for dancing,
you feet are for thinking.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:12 am

I Pace all the time. I'm pretty sure that is considered stimming, sometimes in a circle, or in a specific pattern or route.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm

Pieplup wrote:
I Pace all the time. I'm pretty sure that is considered stimming, sometimes in a circle, or in a specific pattern or route.

I "do" cirkles or 8´s when very nervous or distressed.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2016, 4:56 pm

Yes, Or pace.

This used to land me a scolding, but now that I'm with my fiance she knows that it means something is up and can usually calm me down.

If someone does force me to sit still, then my legs shake and I'm usually doing something with my hands (interlock my fingers and rub my palm with the thumb of the other hand)

DonTrump

29 Feb 2016, 9:54 pm

Aspergirl16 wrote:
DonTrump wrote:
Aspergirl16 wrote:

Yeah I think I get an anxiety attack when I walk around in circles it makes it better.

It does make it better, I don't have autism but I do pace an awful lot.My anxiety is usually through the roof.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Feb 2016, 9:58 pm

I pace constantly, when I'm nervous or anxious it can be really bad. It's been better since taking medication, I don't just do it lost in thought but rather more just when I'm nervous or anxious. I pace a lot still tho.