Do you hate it when someone says they are proud of you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2016, 5:12 pm

My self esteem is so low I have no feeling of self worth. I felt angry when my chair aerobics teacher told me she was proud of me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm

It depends upon WHY someone said they were proud of you.

I suck at baseball. I wouldn't get upset if somebody told me they were proud of me for getting a home run--because I've never hit a home run in my life.

If you're naturally great at chair-aerobics, you might get upset if somebody says they're"proud of you." This is because you have a great ability in this, and this might be an indicating that the person saying they're "proud of you" doesn't think you have great ability.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 5:48 pm

Actually, yeah, because I cannot fathom what I did that passed muster this go around. So, I get stuck analyzing things to see what worked.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Schlumpfikus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2016, 6:23 pm

Don't hate it but I feel a bit uncomfortable when people give me compliments and then expect some kind of reaction, because I want my response neither to look vain nor overmodest.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2016, 6:31 pm

I often feel patronised by this. Usually, people say they're proud over things I don't feel I need to be proud about and don't seem proud over the stuff I actually am proud of.

e.g. "I'm proud of you for keeping eye-contact during this session".

Further more, it's very very rare anyone's ever said they're proud of me and actually meant it. I mean I know I'm bad at telling when someone means something or not, but it happens so rarely over such insignificant things...

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

aspieff14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2016, 3:11 pm

I don't think I hate it so much as the statement makes me so very uncomfortable due to not knowing what or how to react or reply to it.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 127 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 87 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 4:29 pm

neptunekh wrote:
Do you hate it when someone says they are proud of you?
Only when it is obvious that they're just sucking up.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 7:01 pm

It can be very patronizing - and embarrassing.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 1:23 am

In certain situations yeah.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:01 am

I would take it in the spirit in which it was offered. if given with a mirthful smile I would receive it with a mirthful smile.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:15 am

It depends on the context, but most of the time I do feel awkward about it. What am I supposed to say beyond 'Thanks' or 'I know'? Toot my own horn?

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

I like to be praised, but when I get a lot of praise, I don't like it for some reason. Maybe it's because I don't like to be fussed over.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2016, 10:56 am

I tend to dislike praise primarily because it puts more pressure on me as a person to perform at greater levels.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm

I don't mind it but it sounds inappropriate. I can't wrap my head around what part of me belongs to them to be proud of. It is a form of judgement, isn't it?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 1:54 pm

@Claradoon. Yes, to me pride seems more like something felt by oneself for one's own achievements. It never quite feels right to me when people express pride in another person (or their country, sports team etc.). Why are they telling me about an emotion that they are experiencing, if the intent is to compliment me?

I don't object, because I guess that most people would think I'm just being picky about semantics, but I can't imagine ever using that form of compliment myself.

In a more general sense, ever since I was a kid, I've always become very bashful when I'm complimented, especially if it is done in front of other people. I don't feel offended - it's just that I'm really introverted and so I don't like being the focus of people's attention.

OrdinaryDanny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2016, 3:54 pm

It is often that respect is given to me over meaningless, simple and ordinary tasks that get accomplished in my daily life. This means that when people congratulate me over these simple things, it makes me feel like there is nothing else I would ever achieve in my life thus resulting in me feeling inadequate and a great failure.

I hate it when people are proud of me for something that is not at all rewarding, and humdrum to our existence. If only people would stop sharing their false respect for me and ignore whatever I have supposedly "achieved", because at the end of the day they are only relying on praising me to boost their self-esteem. :roll: