Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 6:53 am

And what do you do about that? :lol:

Seriously though. Even writing this is proving difficult. I'm so bad at thinking that I forget I can't think. I try to tell myself I don't need medication, there's nothing wrong with me. Even though that's what everyone else tells me, and maybe they're wrong.

The point I'm trying to make is, I can't make a point.

- Sherlock Holmes

sparrowblue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2016, 8:47 am

Yes. I take medication and that helps but doesn't solve the problem.

Other than that I try to break things down into little bits and set reasonable goals. For example I have a daily checklist with small things on like brushing teeth, spending at least 15mins on each of writing, reading and studying, taking a walk, eating 3 meals, etc. Sometimes I don't do these things, especially as the tasks get larger, so keeping them small really is the best plan. It is just to get started; all the better if you are able to keep going after that time has passed.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2016, 8:52 am

Sometimes.

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2016, 10:43 am

Hello,

I get this too, the technical name for it is "executive functioning". Mine varies lots and sometimes I struggle to dress myself.

I have a website where I post the various tips and techniques I use: http://spacedoutandsmiling.com/tips/

The main ones are:

* strong routines
* managing energy levels carefully
* finding and accepting support
* remove un needed decisions.

I also review products I find helpful.

Hope that helps give you some ideas

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

JeanES
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2016, 1:02 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
And what do you do about that? :lol:

Seriously though. Even writing this is proving difficult. I'm so bad at thinking that I forget I can't think. I try to tell myself I don't need medication, there's nothing wrong with me. Even though that's what everyone else tells me, and maybe they're wrong.

The point I'm trying to make is, I can't make a point.

I'm supposed to be doing a big, time-critical project RIGHT NOW.

It's so big and time-critical, I panicked and obsessed over details for the first few days.
Lost executive function.

Realized this yesterday.

For me, getting back on some kind of track when I'm this derailed involves picking out small things I can do several times daily.
I will get on WP and write something to be social.
I will match all the socks in the Lonely Socks Club [it's a basket that sits in the linen closet for single socks].
I will make a cup of tea.
I will cut my toenails.
...making sure that I pick tasks I know I have immediate access to anything I need to complete it.

One of the therapists I did CBT with said, when you're overwhelmed, always start with making a To Do list.
The first item on the list should be "Make To Do List", because you get to cross that off right away.
(She said it triggers endorphin release to cross items off a list; I never verified the research).

It helps me... I'm a dedicated lister anyway... and so when I am aware of being overwhelmed into inaction, I can generally at least complete one of these gimme tasks. If I go through a few of those and don't feel more capable, it's usually time to re-evaluate my goals for the day, reduce my workload, seek support if possible... or, on the really bad days, give myself as much of the day possible as "vacation" because at least then I'm owning doing nothing.

I think it's okay that we can't always do what we're "supposed to".
We're not robots.
Also, robots have all sorts of systemic failures.

I'm gonna go to work!
Good luck :D

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 1:28 pm

Yes, with things I don't like to do and that take lots of energy, such as paperwork, dealing with institutions.. Going out and spend time with people can slow down the process of doing things for days.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

LaMereLoi

28 Apr 2016, 2:26 pm

Yeah, I am supposed to look for an internship - a condition of my graduating from my program- and I am paralyzed. I keep replaying every "spontaneous" interview that went wrong because I have no freaking clue what to say in those contexts.

I also notice I seem to be able to do the same things as people but all the small tasks either SEEM to be done slower in my head or I actually take way more time doing them. I realized that today while shopping for an art project I am doing with a friend from school. I have trouble deciding myself on which supply to buy. But that incident encapsulated my last two months; I can't seem to do any serious work, except my teaching. I can say I get paid at least and it contributes greatly to stabilize me, I even have some fun with the kids. But I seem to be inefficient.

DayvanCowboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2016, 2:38 pm

Yes... Yep. I do have problems doing things I suppose it's a normal part of life. :)

*sound of footsteps then muffled crying in another room to whatever the wake me up inside paramore thing is*

DayvanCowboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2016, 2:49 pm

Yes... Yep. I do have problems doing things I suppose it's a normal part of life. :)

*sound of footsteps then muffled crying in another room to whatever the wake me up inside paramore thing is... In alot of ways I can't do much. *

I've got one of those hazy minds where I feel tired all the time and motivation literally is at zero. I have to fight to function, and I can never seem to ground myself back into the moment. Can't even do the things I enjoy alot. I'm one of those people who you'd never suspect if you met me. I suppose through the median of the internet I can speak to others about this.

And the haunting thing is, even though I sound intelligent when I speak, I can't make sense of anything, so the anxiety is almost like a scaled down version of when you're walking up a staircase and you miss a step, that painful rush you get, it's like that, in the background. All the time. My mind is fuzz.

TentofMot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2016, 3:54 pm

LaMereLoi wrote:
Yeah, I am supposed to look for an internship - a condition of my graduating from my program- and I am paralyzed. I keep replaying every "spontaneous" interview that went wrong because I have no freaking clue what to say in those contexts.

I also notice I seem to be able to do the same things as people but all the small tasks either SEEM to be done slower in my head or I actually take way more time doing them. I realized that today while shopping for an art project I am doing with a friend from school. I have trouble deciding myself on which supply to buy. But that incident encapsulated my last two months; I can't seem to do any serious work, except my teaching. I can say I get paid at least and it contributes greatly to stabilize me, I even have some fun with the kids. But I seem to be inefficient.

I have the same problem with being 'inefficient' in the sense I need longer to do certain things, process slower etc. But I compensate to a large extent by doing whatever it is as best I can. That is usually good enough with most employers/supervisors, but it depends on the job and its pacing. On the spot decisions/shopping can be tough too. My normal counter for that is a good list made before hand. But sometimes I am lazy and don't prepare and I could kick myself for putting myself thru that. :wink:

JeanES
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2016, 6:39 pm

DayvanCowboy wrote:
And the haunting thing is, even though I sound intelligent when I speak, I can't make sense of anything, so the anxiety is almost like a scaled down version of when you're walking up a staircase and you miss a step, that painful rush you get, it's like that, in the background. All the time. My mind is fuzz.

That's a brilliant metaphor - I experience that frequently but never think to use it.

Does that moment taste like copper to you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 6:47 pm

What sort of project do you have to do?

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2016, 10:59 am

The thing is, when I actually do things, I have no trouble... but the problem is starting, for me. Even fun things like going downstairs to watch hockey or reading a book or even watching something on the computer which I'm already in front of seem so monumental to start. It's why it takes me like, half a year to watch a TV show and why I barely read even though I should. Even though these are fun things, it's like I can't bring myself to do them, so I usually just stare at Twitter or whatever passive website.

I'm assuming that's executive functioning problems?? If so, I hate it. It's the one trait I'd get rid of. It makes it hard to pursue my own special interests so I don't know as much about it and it bothers me and makes me feel invalid a lot.

But don't even get me started on things I have to do. It's like once I feel like or am told that something is required, my executive functioning goes right out the window.

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2016, 11:14 am

thehandler wrote:
The thing is, when I actually do things, I have no trouble... but the problem is starting, for me. Even fun things like going downstairs to watch hockey or reading a book or even watching something on the computer which I'm already in front of seem so monumental to start. It's why it takes me like, half a year to watch a TV show and why I barely read even though I should. Even though these are fun things, it's like I can't bring myself to do them, so I usually just stare at Twitter or whatever passive website.

I'm assuming that's executive functioning problems?? If so, I hate it. It's the one trait I'd get rid of. It makes it hard to pursue my own special interests so I don't know as much about it and it bothers me and makes me feel invalid a lot.

But don't even get me started on things I have to do. It's like once I feel like or am told that something is required, my executive functioning goes right out the window.

I have similar things. I struggle with, starting, stopping, changing and pacing. If i am not careful, i will use all my energy for the day really quickly and have nothing left.

When it comes to things i "have" to do, i also struggle more. I think its because of pressure. Once any amount of pressure is applied (even indirect pressure, or me pressuring myself) the skills i do have go out the window.

The best method which has worked for me is routines and schedules. Past a certain point i start to do things because the routine says so and i enjoy the routine as a whole even if i don't enjoy every element.

The other thing which has helped, is finding ways to decrease the energy needed for task i find hard. Eg, rather than force myself to shower (which is horrible) i have a bath as part of my evening routine, someone else runs it and we use it as a sensory play time with lots of toys. (plus there is a handy guide on the wall to remind me of what to do).

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 11:29 am

DayvanCowboy wrote:

*sound of footsteps then muffled crying in another room to whatever the wake me up inside paramore thing is... In alot of ways I can't do much. *

I've got one of those hazy minds where I feel tired all the time and motivation literally is at zero. I have to fight to function, and I can never seem to ground myself back into the moment. Can't even do the things I enjoy alot. I'm one of those people who you'd never suspect if you met me. I suppose through the median of the internet I can speak to others about this.

Other than the part about not being able to make sense of anything, or I can relate to pretty much all of this. I still have trouble making sense of things when I talk to people, and it happens all the time, but it's not 100% constant.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 12:25 pm

Apart from motivational issues I have difficulty with tasks that require a multi step process. Organising and planning are things I suck at.
Back in 2007 I did a free cognitive assessment mentioned on schizophrenia.com(long since stopped) I scored average or above on everything except executive functioning. I scored about 2 SD below average on that.