Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2011, 10:17 am

riverspark wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Makes my urine boil that people get ID'd so much. All part of the risk-averse legalistic culture we live in (ably abetted by repressive law of course).

TOTALLY agree.

A freind of mine during my uni (college) days had a job in a bar and got in to alot of toruble for serveing a 16 alcohol, even though he looked about 19 so I just its just shop/bar workers proctecting themsleves.

I does upset me sometimes when I got asked for ID. A freind of mines brother started buying alcohol at 15 and was never ID's and yet I did for years. Mum says I have 'young manerisms', what ever that means?

Dione
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 11:09 am

Shortly after my 21st birthday, I went to a brewery with my husband, his parents, and some of his family friends. I was talking to his family friends' six year old daughter and had my glasses on. The waitress asked my mother in-law how many kids menus we needed. My mother in-law, dumbfounded, explained that the next youngest was 21. The waitress just looked at me and said, "She'll like that down the road."
Another time, when I was 20, I was with my ex brother in-law and sister in-law, who took care of special needs foster children. One of them wasn't allowed to be around children under fourteen. He actually asked my ex brother in-law if he was violating his probation by hanging out with me.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:48 am

I got carded at a Rated R movie when I was 25! I was like, "Are you serious?" And laughed at them.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2011, 12:14 pm

My most embrassing ID momnet was went i got asked for ID to buy at natioanl lottery ticket. The legal age here is 16 and I was 28 at the time!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 6:02 pm

People tend to think I'm 5 to around 8 when I'm like half to a third of a decade older than that. I understand what you mean. I think it is a effect to the trait of wanting to hang out with much younger or much older people. It doesn't help that I carry a stuffed piplup around either.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 7:15 pm

I've heard of people as old as 55 being asked for proof of age when buying beer or cigs, when it's blindingly obvious they're over 18. I guess it's down to bureaucracy gone mad, excessive back-covering, and the jobsworth syndrome:
http://www.guy-sports.com/months/jokes_jobsworth.htm
Check out the Aspie kid on that page who was ordered by the council to remove his Jolly Roger flag from his front garden :roll:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 9:05 pm

I don't know if I still would be asked as it's now been years since I bought anything or went anywhere that they would need to ask. But last week some guy who turned out to be the same age as me was talking about politics, how things have changed since the 1960s, 70s and 80s. And he repeatedly said stuff like "I'm older than you, I can remember when " etc etc. "You won't remember this" "You weren't born then but...." :roll:

So, I still get that a lot. It's both flattering but also incredibly condescending and annoying. It's being talked down to when you're that person's peer.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm

Almost every time. Legal age here is 19 and I'm 21. They are supposed to ID under 25 or 30 depending on the establishment, but some people my age never get carded. I even been kicked out of pubs after I turned 19 before they even asked for ID.

I bought some scratch and wins the other day and was asked for ID (same age, 19). People tell me that I look about 15 or 16.

The worst part about it is strangers always wanting to get into a conversation about school. I cannot count how many times I have gotten asked what grade I was since I graduated high school. And I've gotten talked down to by peers before as they think I'm younger. It's really frustrating because this is all they want to talk about.

I have a cousin who is 17, but looks a few years older. I am waiting for the day someone thinks that SHE is the older one.

When I was 20, I was waiting in a restaurant with my parents and got asked if I needed a kid's menu. Part of the reason I think this could have been is that I got my dad's height, not my mom's. My mom's side of the family is really tall and my dad's side is short to slightly above average. Both me and my dad I slightly above average, but I am shorter than my dad because I'm female. So maybe because I'm shorter than my parents they assumed I was a child?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 12:17 am

I get asked on occasion, but men in my family tend to get gray hairs earlier than most and that seems to be enough more often than not.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 7:55 am

I don't drink anymore so no carding for me, but someone today thought I was 20. :D Despite the fact that I've just become aware that I literally dress like I'm 65. Not sure what to do about that dichotomy.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 8:32 am

Yes, and I hate it. I carry a passport in my bag all the time now so that I can show it whenever asked for ID.

People say it's nice to look younger, but there's a difference between looking 28 when in your 40's, and looking 15-16 when you're 26. It becomes a compliment when you get older, but when you're 26 you want to look in your 20's, an adult, not like you still go to school.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 8:48 am

I agree with that, Joe90. It starts to become slightly more of a compliment by the time you're 40 looking 28, but when you're in your 20's it's in fact a problem even socially, to look 15 -- very, very much so. I remember some actually quite adversarial encounters with bartenders when I was 27 and literally could pass for 14 (I have the old photos to prove it.)

I was married and my husband got into quite an argument with a barkeep who wouldn't even accept or believe the ID we showed her. That one ruined our evening that night.

It's no consolation to tell you this gets better with age, because what counts is now and it sucks for a very long time.

NOW I'm glad I look maybe ten or fifteen years the lie, but for a long time it made for a few problems.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 9:24 am

Interesting how nobody (self included) wants to look like a child or a senior citizen.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2016, 9:32 am

Tequila wrote:
Makes my urine boil.

This is one of the most fantastic things I've ever heard.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:02 am

I have solid bone structure, am taken to be very-focused, intense, serious.

Older kids asked to use my ID, when I was in middle school, because they thought I was a full-grown adult.

(Taller now.)

It's kind-of a Herman Munster thing.

catunderfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2016, 10:10 am

Oh, yes... I'm 27. And a lot of the time they greet me with open hostility... Once a guy tried to refuse me even with my ID because my hair was a different color, but I just happened to be wearing the exact same sweatshirt I had on in the photo and he relented. A few months ago I was out to dinner with my family and the waitress carded me, looked at the age on my ID and then apologized, LOL!

Just today a woman at work told me I should apply to be a truck driver "when I turn 21." :P But I don't mind... although it does get a little irritating when people condescend to me because they think I'm much younger than they are.