Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

katedidit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

I am currently in the process of getting a diagnosis. I am pretty sure I am on the spectrum and I have found someone that will do the assessment for about $300 locally.

The one thing I am worried about is that I am an ABA therapist and work with children on the spectrum. Doing this job for the last 10 months has really solidified my suspicions about myself. I am struggling with a lot of things with my job (executive function things but also social aspects with colleagues and with my kids I work with) but I worry that the therapist will question me if I am able to work and help others with autism.

So will it make her less likely to believe or diagnose me correctly? Is anyone else here an ABA therapist or something similar?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 5:07 pm

I'm a math tutor for autistic children. I work with them better than their NT teachers in a lot of ways because of my autism.

Liblady
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2014, 5:14 pm

The therapist of the Autism Spectrum Counseling Center of our local Family Guidance Center is ASD and ADHD herself. I think she had her diagnosis before she started counseling folks on the spectrum, but she was 40ish when diagnosed, so I'm not sure (one of those who realixed she had ASD after her child was dignosed with autism. She counsels with both adults and children. I wasn't able to stay with her, before of a so-called "conflict of interest" situation with my former employer, but I would certainly think it makes her a much better counselor.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 6:51 pm

I don't think it would, especially if you explain that this experience is what made you suspect that you're on the spectrum.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm

I am a therapist and work very well with children/adolescents on the spectrum. It's a population that I am truly able to understand in a way that I can't with my other non-spectrum clients.

rsimmons
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2016, 4:09 am

I don't think that it would.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 4:54 am

I really wish people would stop digging up years old advice threads.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 9:13 am

EzraS wrote:

and then bump em :P

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

EzraS wrote:

^^^^
this

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman