Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 12:02 am

There are a lot of negative usernames around. It's not good to repeat something negative about yourself. Endlessly repeating something positive can be hard as well. Better be a bit neutral.

My motto is something along the lines of there being enough s**theads in the world already, I'm certainly no worse than them. A lot of people on WP could do well to remember that in their minor transgressions are often really minor.

Seibelin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2017, 12:34 am

Shyteddy, I see what you mean and think it's a perfectly valid point of view.

I am sad and depressed because I see everyone around me communicating freely yet i am alone, lonely, and physically wasting away from stress and fatigue.

If everyone were more like me, we would actually be more likely to talk because we would naturally have more understanding of one another. I'd be less stressed as well. Even if I had gut issues still and more difficulty handling stress, I may have less environmental stress than the outgoing person in the minority.

However, this doesn't make my condition NOT an illness. There is no good or evil in the world or absolute right or wrong. Whether it is defined as an illness, that must be up to each person to decide, I guess.

You could find microbiome imbalances, viruses, or heavy metals have created stress in your body and differences in your brain. But even then, it wouldn't NEED to be considered bad. Stress drives change and differences. You may suffer, but you can still create beauty, see truth, and be just as valueable as anyone else.

Sometimes I think I would even pick a difficult life for the insight and depth it gives.
Other times, I only wish for what other's have.

That said, if I can cure my problems, I will take the cure! It will not change who I am or what I have been through. What I've learned in life will not just go away by fixing things in life that give me stress. As it is now, I am sick and losing mental capacity, energy, creativity, and physical strength. Could simply accepting myself fix this problem? No.. I have bacterial and yeast infections, autoimmunity, inflammation... I cannot change the world but i have a chance at changing myself.

Changing will not devalue me. We need to value ourselves enough that we don't feel that fixing our problems somehow makes us not "ourselves" anymore. IMO..

But for those of us not having huge problems, of course we don't need to cure anything...

In any case, I wish for less shame and less hate for all.

shyteddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2017, 6:49 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I love myself and I enjoy celebrating my autism. I don't hate myself at all. I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do. I'd rather get out there and have fun than sit around at home, feeling sorry for myself.

I didn't say I hated myself, I addressed my comment to those who did.

BobNewbiesBus
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2017, 11:36 am

It's pretty simple. If you spend your entire life listening to people tell you how weird, defective, non-compliant and inappropriate you are, then of course you're unlikely to like yourself very much.

If you're told something often enough, you tend to believe it.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Tell me friends, should we not, instead of towards ourselves, direct our contempt at the society which is centered around excluding and persecuting us, because we don't conform with its behavioural norms and expectations? Share with me your thoughts.

I have no desire to direct contempt at society, what good would that do? It's like saying I choose to poison myself, but I will blame the world for my decision to do so. Everyone is just trundling along busy with their own relative problems, live and let live.
We don't exist in an era of accommodation... it might happen or maybe autism will be detectable early in pregnancy and it will become a less prevalent condition. There are many mights and maybes, but life is too short to waste it on an anger that limits a persons potential.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 1:00 pm

I hate myself because I cant do anything productive or deal with anything/anyone. A blood sucking leech who cant support myself and depends on others to survive in this society. So envious of those who are normal, who easily cope with school, social interactions and jobs, those who get s**t done easily and on time.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 May 2017, 1:25 pm

I used to hate myself because I was gang bullied by 200 people in my school.
But I grew out of it, and I'm not hurt anymore, even when I talk about it.

I guess I used to hate myself because there used to be many ways that I couldn't meet the standards of "normal people".
But after the diagnosis and joining therapy classes, much of those imperfections improved.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:45 pm

I believe that I am a sinner, but also that God loves me so much that He forgives me of all my sins. For this, and for all of the blessings I continue to receive, I want to show my love for Him. It says in the Bible how to show our love for Him, by showing love to all people. :heart:

Well, I try to show love and kindness to everyone, but because of my limited understanding/ability in social situations, it does not always show. In fact, it sometimes looks like the opposite. But my sins against other people always seem to show. :oops:

Now, I know that God can see inside my heart and know of my intentions, but the people do not. They deserve to feel the love from God... from me... and not just the hurt when I sin against them. :(

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:43 am

shyteddy wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I love myself and I enjoy celebrating my autism. I don't hate myself at all. I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do. I'd rather get out there and have fun than sit around at home, feeling sorry for myself.

I didn't say I hated myself, I addressed my comment to those who did.

I apologize. I'm a little slow when it comes to comprehension.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:54 am

I agree about the negative user names. I can usually tell somebody's outlook on life is going to be poor if they have a self-deprecatory username. I selected a user name based on a special interest of mine, one that isn't directly personal.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 11:42 am

Can I just point out that my username isn't negative. It's a healing balm from a fantasy novel. Hurtloam heals pain and soothes hurts.

I feel trapped inside of myself. I don't like that. I feel like I can't reach out and connect with those around me. Why would I like that about myself? I acutally like people and wish that I could be more friendly, well I am friendly, I wish I could turn it into more than a shallow friendliness.

LogicOrNot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2017, 2:42 pm

I wouldn't say I hate myself.

There was a period in my life when I made quite a few decisions which I am now ashamed of. Nothing really serious, more a string of embarrassing social failures. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, and everything I did seemed to make things worse.

But, that's been long enough ago that I can let it go. I still don't completely know what to do socially, but I have some idea.

I try to set goals to achieve each day that I can feel good about. Like, being decent to people at work and cooking meals for myself.

I don't think my username is negative. It is a pun and is untended to be humorous.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2017, 5:08 pm

Ehhh, I for one don't, but that's because I'm good at most of the stuff needed in life. These days, it's more like the occasional embarrassing moment when dealing with people, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2017, 7:59 pm

I guess my username could be interpreted as negative because "lurg" or "lurgee" is a British slang term for disease, but that wasn't intentional. "Johnny Lurg" is the name of a character in a series of short stories I started writing in elementary school and the name "Lurg" was meant as just a nonsensical surname.

mattdj1985
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2017, 11:28 am

Look I understand that we are down from time to time but we cannot let it hold us back from the great things we were meant to do.

So love and be proud of who you are. Don't forget that those that have left the largest impact on society are the ones who didn't fit into it. New ideas and thoughts have always progressed humanity further. So we may think differently, but it is truly a gift. So please put aside your self pity or fear and direct your focus on pursuing your dreams so you can share your gift to the world.

We can't wait for the world to change for us. We must go out to change the world for all.

"Plant your hope with good seeds,
Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds"

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2017, 11:40 pm

The biggest thing i tend to struggle with is understanding what im meant to be doing in life. I have all this knowledge on things and some skills which i cant seem to apply to anything. I think alot of people think im interesting, sometimes annoying and different at the same time they cant talk to me.

Often i just seem to end up supporting various games company's and community's, and they like the selfless promoting but no one ever wants to offer me an opportunity.