Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2017, 6:24 am

I live in a small house, and as I'm part of a family of 4 it is quite packed and claustrophobic, and there is not much personal space and privacy for anything.
One of the things I find difficult dealing at home with is noise. Around my neighbourhood, there just seems to be so much of it. We back on to several people's gardens with loud kids and the house is semi-detached. And next door there is this very loud baby that is always screaming and can wake us up in the night and you can hear neighbours clear as day through the wall. My room is right next to my brother and he's always up all night and disturbs me. When I've been in bigger places further away from noise and people's rooms I've felt much better and relaxed.
I try to be grateful but personally I feel really uncomfortable living like this, and why it has to be this way for many years. Its my goal to run a business from home and move out sometime but because of the noise and sensitivity to family, I find it really difficult to tune out and stay focused on my goals. Stressful things happen then I get overloaded, and I live in a small town and don't know many people so it's not like I can easily escape from it.

Anyone else sensitive to their living situation at home and how do can one deal with lots of noise every single day?

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2017, 3:02 pm

I spent a couple of years living in similar conditions and whenever the noise got too much I would go out for a run. I lived right on the river and could run out of the city to where it was quiet. I was kind of like a 'reset' so I could cope with another few hours of the noise.

If I couldn't go running then I'd go to the library. One place where it's guaranteed to be quiet.

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2017, 10:56 am

Sai wrote:
I spent a couple of years living in similar conditions and whenever the noise got too much I would go out for a run. I lived right on the river and could run out of the city to where it was quiet. I was kind of like a 'reset' so I could cope with another few hours of the noise.

If I couldn't go running then I'd go to the library. One place where it's guaranteed to be quiet.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yeah, running/walking can definitely help and I like to do it a lot to escape. The most difficult part is at night where I can't do those things but I'm trying to find strategies to cope.