8 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9+ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 4:47 pm

For me I started talking around 3 and got out of speech therapy when I was 12.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 5:05 pm

It's a very relative thing.

What do you mean by "start talking"? Is saying one word talking? Meaningful communication by a single word? Two or three words strung together? Full sentences? I think for most of us, it's going to be a multi-year process.

In any case, I don't actually know when I started talking, but I'm going to answer at age two, which is probably accurate by one of the definitions I listed above.
:D

I also had speech therapy in elementary school, which I think I finished by grade 3 at age 9.

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 5:49 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
It's a very relative thing.

What do you mean by "start talking"? Is saying one word talking? Meaningful communication by a single word? Two or three words strung together? Full sentences? I think for most of us, it's going to be a multi-year process.

In any case, I don't actually know when I started talking, but I'm going to answer at age two, which is probably accurate by one of the definitions I listed above.
:D

I also had speech therapy in elementary school, which I think I finished by grade 3 at age 9.

What I meant by starting talking was the beginning of learning to talk. No one could understand what I was saying when I started.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:24 pm

I marked age 4 as that is when my parents say that I began talking. I think I said occasional words or phrases before then but very rarely and couldn't be understood. I had speech therapy from age four through about 2nd grade of elementary school.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2017, 8:32 pm

My mom says that I said "Da-Da" at age 6 months and was talking in full sentences by 12 months. I've always been hyperverbal. For sure I was talking in full sentences by 18 months, as we have home videos of me at this age.

Last edited by Hypercoaster on 04 Sep 2017, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:38 pm

Hypercoaster wrote:
My mom says that I said "Da-Da" at age 6 and was talking in full sentences by 12 months.

This does not compute. I'm guessing you mean you said "Da-Da" at 6 months?

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2017, 9:00 pm

Lol. Yes, I meant "6 months." :lol: Will have to edit my original post! :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm

I started saying words when I was 8 years old. But I've never started talking as in forming sentences.

DreamsWhatDreams
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm

Think I said my first words when I was 1 years old, I was forming sentences by age 2.

lasting for a very short time. See also, life.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:23 am

By age 3, I was still using single words only (and not many). By 4-5 years old, I spoke fluently, but was rarely understood by most until ages 9-11.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 1:02 am

My mom says I was four when I started talking but I didn't see that in the videos until I was five and then I was speaking in sentences than being quiet or saying single words. I did say some words when I was two but I only said single words and I didn't say them right. Only word I could say correctly when I was three was 'no.' I did speech therapy from when I was about 21 months up until 8th grade.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Sep 2017, 1:10 am

Mom said I was fluent at age 3. I spoke like an adult. I was trotted out at parties to astonish guests. But if I was fluent at 3, maybe I started at 2?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 2:31 am

I was 5 1/2. I pretty much spoke like a "normal" child by my 6th birthday.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 4:16 am

Not sure if the question was about actual words, proper sentences or communicating with proper sentences, but I went with the first quess, which means under the age of one. My mom once told me how I had at the age of six months scared a nurse by suddenly starting to call for my mom... that was when the doctor, who at first had trouble believing his ears, told my mom that the chances that I would be intellectually less skilled than average children my age was highly unlikely. That was something they had worried about since I was half paralysed at the time and all.

She also said that a bit before turning two I could have actual, understandable conversations with people... including the time I had a suregery at the age of two and was cursing and telling the nurses how my mom was a liar since she said it wouldn't hurt yet it did. She said the nurses had lot of fun...

But despite this, I couldn't say the letter "K" properly until the summer that I was four and always pronounced it as "T." What really made it a problem was that my name starts with K and my last name has it too...

Hra1993
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Sep 2017, 5:28 am

Sub 1yrs. I had a very profound vocabulary at a very young age. As a mother, we note that when a child can say a recognisable word / a made up word that he or she repeats in context, then that is the beginning of speech. How it progresses is another matter. My youngest is nearly 2 and only just talking so he was speech delayed, but overnight he is talking in 3 word sentences and so is no longer speech delayed.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 6:41 am

I started saying single words at six months of age. My first words were in German. I began speaking English at six years of age.