Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 2:19 pm

I have no hair to twirl.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 4:07 pm

I never bite my nails becuse I never have enough nails to bite. I trim them down as much as posible every few days.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 4:29 pm

Warning: The following is gross.

I used to chew on the skin on my fingers (lovely mental image, I'm sure) but now I've gotten it down to biting my cuticles. Unfortunately, this still causes me to bleed in public every so foten. I carry a nail clipper around to try and cut back on this; if I have a loose end of skin I'll rip it off because it drives me nuts, so the nail clipper keeps me from having to do this and embarassing myself by bleeding.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 5:04 pm

Don't feel bad Serissa, its just as bad for me... You'd think that keeping them more or less even would help matters but it doesn't seem to

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 8:45 pm

I used to bite my nails and skin to bleeding also.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 9:01 pm

After I finally stopped sucking my thumb at age four, I started biting my fingernails, the loose skin on my finger-tips and toenails, something I do constantly to this day. The only time I've quit is in 11th grade when I was trying to grow out my fingernails but when they each broke off, and painfully, when they got really long, I never tried again.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 9:31 pm

Heh,I've been biting my nails ever since I could chew!I bite them down to the quick!I've been cracking my knuckles ever since 5th grade!My brother pops my back sometimes..and I DO NOT like that...

SpaceCase

sparkman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2005, 9:37 pm

I have never once cut my nails because I always bite them and I can't stand the sound of nail clippers. Sometimes if I bite them too much they bleed so I try to avoid that.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 3:37 am

SpaceCase wrote:
My brother pops my back sometimes..and I DO NOT like that.

8O Can you be more specific about how how does it? That can be dangerous!

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 4:24 am

any "popping" or "cracking" of joints isn't recommended, as the noise come from the rapid expulsion of synovial fluid from the joint. this is the stuff which cushions your joints, and problems such as arthritis are connected (in part) with the functioning of synovial fluid. take care, all you crackers and poppers.

CleverCait
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2005, 4:48 am

I mentioned my propensity for cracking my knuckles (and nearly all other joints) to a psychiatrist, who informed me that people with Asperger's tend to have something different about their joints (fewer proprioceptors or whatever it is that helps to tell where you are in space; I don't remember exactly) which lends itself to being clumsy and double-jointed and whatnot. It also makes it feel good to crack one's knuckles and joints.

I can crack everything in my arm from my shoulder down to my knuckles in one twisting movement; it feels great. You can also tell if it's me who's sneaking around the house barefoot at night because the joints in my toes pop. I will probably end up with horrible arthritis at some point in my life.

And Serissa - I chew the skin on my fingers, too. My fingers are often sore because I'm contantly chewing off extra bits of skin or pulling hangnails out.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 7:22 am

i sucked my thumb til i was 12 :oops: and that was only because i got a fixed plate to widen my top jaw, and as soon as i got to high school and everyone began cracking their knuckles around me it became habit. I cant say i chew my nails though, the only time i chew them is when theyre so long theyre going to break and id rather not have the bleeding and pain that occurs when your nails are too short.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 8:45 am

vetivert wrote:
any "popping" or "cracking" of joints isn't recommended, as the noise come from the rapid expulsion of synovial fluid from the joint. this is the stuff which cushions your joints, and problems such as arthritis are connected (in part) with the functioning of synovial fluid. take care, all you crackers and poppers.

I have heard that too, but when I questioned why chiropractors pop backs the response I got was "the popping you hear is air bubbles bursting." I later heard the same thing on a medical TV show that said popping knuckles will not cause arthritis. That is a myth, like the one that says it will make them get larger. I have cracked mine for over 30 years.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 10:34 am

air bubbles? not sure i like the sound of air bubbles wandering around my body 8O embolisms, that sort of thing.

and i thought the cushioning system is a hydraulic one, rather than a pneumatic one? on no - i'kk have to go back to anatomy - now where did i put my Gray's...?

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 10:47 am

vetivert wrote:
air bubbles? not sure i like the sound of air bubbles wandering around my body 8O embolisms, that sort of thing.

and i thought the cushioning system is a hydraulic one, rather than a pneumatic one? on no - i'kk have to go back to anatomy - now where did i put my Gray's...?

The bubbles don't wander. They are in your joints, not your bloodstream and a few bubbles in your blood stream won't hurt you... just watch how many bubbles enter you when you get an IV (I know... the first IV I got I freaked out about the bubbles). Look it up online, I am sure there is information on the air bubbles somewhere.

Smiley
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2005, 11:15 am

i thought bubbles in ur bloodstream were really dangerous if they get to ur heart!

When i was young i used 2 pull my hair out - now i just mess with it :)