Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MartynRich
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2018, 11:06 am

Reposting here because I placed it in the wrong section...

Hi all

I’ve just been told by a colleague at work that my boss has arranged a surprise party for me to celebrate my ten-year work anniversary. My colleague knows about my autism so is obviously being kind.

I feel like crying. Apparently senior management are coming and there is some kind of video message montage from colleagues. I almost feeling like skipping the day and calling in sick. I think I can fake surprise but stopping myself melting down is going to be a challenge. It’s really stupid because my boss knows I’m autistic, but it obviously hasn’t occurred to her that this isn’t her best idea. Any advice? I can’t get out of it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 11:08 am

I've been on my job 37 years. I've never had such a "tribute."

When is this "tribute" supposed to occur? Perhaps you and your friend could "practice" for it?

I would feel proud that my colleagues esteem me in this way.

Ardea cinerea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2018, 11:26 am

Posted this earlier in your original thread but will repeat here too.

You are clearly loved and appreciated at your place of work, it is not that way for most people. And although it is not very understanding of them to put this on you, they have put a lot of effort into this, for you. It is just one day, the next morning it will be all over. It will be hard, been the centre of attention, inwardly your going to be terrified, but you can fake surprise so you can paint a face on and get through this. Take a moment to just be alone if things get overwhelming even if that means just popping to the gents. And try and put a positive spin on it, you could learn and grow from this, just like with all life experiences. You are loved at work and your hard work is been celebrated by others, that's a wonderful thing, embrace it.

MartynRich
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2018, 3:53 pm

I do feel silly, when people point out the positive side and it had never even occurred to me. So better than asking why or wondering when it will end, I’ll try to enjoy it (try). Many thanks to you both

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 8:28 pm

I hope you do enjoy it.

You should be proud that people think so highly of you.