its sad to see how most people would abort an autistic child

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 11:48 am

I find it disturbing that many people posting on this are posting the same foolish lies we all complain about being directed towards us, directed instead to people they see as more severe, or other kinds of disabilities.

I will tell you all, I have had times in my life were all I could do WAS meltdown, and I bit and scratched myself until I bled many times over. I know I wasn't the easy kid to raise, especially with my comorbidities on top of it. But you only ever get one shot at life, and guess what;

I
Want
To
Live
!

Same goes for any other disability of any kind, the people I have meant personally with level 2-3 autism, down syndrome, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, Williams syndrome, severe chronic pain and more (I go out of my way to meet people with disabilities) don't want to die. In fact, most of them seemed content with their lives.

In death, at any point of development, you don't just wake up in a new body, you are gone. None of us have the right to take away something as precious as someones life.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 1:31 pm

^
Yet there are people on this site - some right in this thread - that made it clear they would prefer to not have been born or to die (for the record, I'm not one of them).

Are you saying that the way you (or I) feel should be more important or is more valid then the way they feel?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 2:38 pm

Arganger wrote:
I find it disturbing that many people posting on this are posting the same foolish lies we all complain about being directed towards us, directed instead to people they see as more severe, or other kinds of disabilities.

I will tell you all, I have had times in my life were all I could do WAS meltdown, and I bit and scratched myself until I bled many times over. I know I wasn't the easy kid to raise, especially with my comorbidities on top of it. But you only ever get one shot at life, and guess what;

I
Want
To
Live
!

Same goes for any other disability of any kind, the people I have meant personally with level 2-3 autism, down syndrome, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, Williams syndrome, severe chronic pain and more (I go out of my way to meet people with disabilities) don't want to die. In fact, most of them seemed content with their lives.

In death, at any point of development, you don't just wake up in a new body, you are gone. None of us have the right to take away something as precious as someones life.

I agree there have been posts based on offensively ableist assumptions in this thread.

As for people on this thread and elsewhere on WP that wish they were not born. If they feel that way because they have been assumed to be trash and treated like trash most of thier lives that is a legitimate reason to feel that way. So is mental illness. That does not neccessarly mean they are correct.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 3:44 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
Yet there are people on this site - some right in this thread - that made it clear they would prefer to not have been born or to die (for the record, I'm not one of them).

Are you saying that the way you (or I) feel should be more important or is more valid then the way they feel?

I agree with ASPartOfMe, with an addition.

It is part of my core beliefs that all life has inherent value, and when someone cannot see that value in themselves it is extremely sad. But also not a proper reason to devalue others.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

eepstein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2018, 4:02 pm

I think about times where I don't want to live, or rather that I really wouldn't mind dying, and then it makes me think if I we're severely autistic, I would never want to live. On the other hand, I think I refuse to acknowledge that I help and am in many people's lives. It makes me sad to think someone would abort a child only because it is autistic, but I see the side of not wanting to put a person through it.

But yet again, I guess it's all about the life you can give the child, and if you can't give a stable, loving care for the child, then I don't know... I myself couldn't imagine going through the addoptive process the way I am...

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2018, 4:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Arganger wrote:

I
Want
To
Live
!

I agree there have been posts based on offensively ableist assumptions in this thread.

As for people on this thread and elsewhere on WP that wish they were not born. If they feel that way because they have been assumed to be trash and treated like trash most of thier lives that is a legitimate reason to feel that way. So is mental illness. That does not neccessarly mean they are correct.

Agreed.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 3:48 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Arganger wrote:

I
Want
To
Live
!

I don't think it's about "being correct", particularly when it comes to how people feel. The sad truth is that a lot of people are not prepared to raise a disabled child (often not a "regular" one either) and too many kids end up horribly abused, grow up into traumatised adults and many never fully recover. When I hear people going on about what a life destroying tragedy would be to have an autistic child, I shudder to think what kind of parents they would make.

I've seen time and again how horrifyingly painful some lives can get, I wouldn’t trivialise people's pain by telling them that "any life is better than no life".

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 9:38 am

I, personally, cannot, and do not, believe in the over-diagnosis of of that fraudulent-scheme known as the industry of psychiatry. That being said, abortion is deemed as murder in accordance life's karma-system, confirmed even by the writings of the very Messiah himself. Furthermore, I have learned enough about «alternatives» during this life, that I do know that there are always «solutions» for all «problems» that plague so-called society.

The title of this guy's video may be a bit mis-leading but he does mention that he's a HFA. Listen to what he has to say, I picked one of the shorter videos, rather than the longer ones (I encourage listening to them anyway).

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2018, 5:01 pm

Seba7290 wrote:
And that isn't even the worst part, it's the reasons they cite. Like how autistic people are useless soul-draining burdens that will ruin the life of the parents.

As a former autistic child, I sincerely hope I didn't cause my parents too much trouble and that they don't regret me.

This is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. It's technically about MR, but a lot of people mention autistic people in there as well(as NT's have a bad habit of using the terms interchangeably :hmph: ) . It honestly makes me feel bad for simply being born disabled.

If some people are doing that I kinda agree with you. I'm pro-choice but if you wanted a child and suddenly don't want them because they might be autistic that is wrong and sad. Especially when being neurodivergent shouldn't even be considered a disability and some successful people were/are autistic/Aspie (examples: Dan Akyrod, Eminem, possibly Bill Gates and Einstein)
On the other hand living on this earth for 30 years I can sympathize with their line of thinking because it may have nothing to do with the "disability" itself. The sad fact is we live in a neurotypical world. We have an unusual experience of being misunderstood. Many NTs can be misunderstood but not to the degree we have been. Myself I'm considered high functioning but I can't tell you how many times I seem to have to explain myself. It's like we're speaking a different language despite the fact I personally can understand them just fine. We are more prone to depression and that's most likely why. It can be a very lonely life and not everyone can be Einstein or Dan Akyrod.
I'd much rather those people terminate the pregnancy than be anti-vaccine due to autism. In that case the child is already here so it's undeniably a full human being (whether a fetus is human is debatable) and that's just sheer ignorance at that point because that makes it seem like autism is a disease you can catch.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 9:18 am

Let's imagine that we could detect some other, ficional spectrum disorders in early pregnancy.

Your child has a sensory disorder that at one extreme results in correctible vision and hearing impairment and at the other extreme in total blindness and deafness. Do you abort?

Your child has a tendency to aggression that at one extreme results in the kind if competitiveness prized in top athletes and at the other extreme in criminally violent behavior. Do you abort?

Your child has an immune-system disorder that at one extreme results in annoying but managable environmental or food allergies and at the other the need to live in a sealed, sterile room for life. Do you abort?

I'm an autistic person. I have a family and a job and I can live a seemingly normal life--but it wasn't easy to get to this point and it still isn't sometimes. But I don't think I should have been aborted just because some other autistic people can't seem as "successful" to the NT world

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 11:37 am

It's a neurotypical world, and anybody outside the neurotypical range will have challenges when surviving in this world. Some people just feel it would be kinder to abort the fetus (if there was such technology that detects ASD in unborn babies) due to fear of the child suffering. Some people have fear of their child being different. Some people abort their baby if they find out it has Downs syndrome. Having Downs syndrome will mean that your child will be different (developmental delays, low IQ, more chance of being socially rejected by peers, risk of other conditions with it like autism or mental retardation, or risk of physical conditions that could make the child ill or have short lifespan, etc). Some people just can't go through with bringing up a child that will be different. Bringing up a neurotypical child and living as a neurotypical adult can come with it's own challenges, but because it's a neurotypical world catered for neurotypicals, it's still easier to just be neurotypical.

My thoughts on abortion:
Abortion shouldn't be forced upon people, nor banned. Abortion should be a choice.
I'd rather a baby being aborted while it's an unborn fetus, than for a born baby to be neglected, abandoned, abused, or even murdered.

Usually I don't reply to these sorts of threads because I just get attacked by other users whose opinions are opposed to mine, but I suppose the mods can sort it out if I do get attacked. Or maybe the thread will die, as that usually happens after I've added a post.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 2:39 pm

I know people who aborted a Down's Syndrome child. Their reason was that they knew one who was nonverbal and felt that the child had no quality of life because he could not speak.

Wreck It Ralph

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2018, 3:23 pm

I make regular sperm bank donations. Hopefully these people will be blessed with a low functioning Autie with special interests including lighting things on fire and screaming his little head off... :D