My employer is having an autism awareness campaign in 2019

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2018, 1:06 pm

I work in the rail industry in the UK. My employer is planning to run an autism awareness campaign for staff in 2019 aimed principally at staff whose role is customer facing. My employer is aware that I am on the autism spectrum so I was planning to contribute some of my own thoughts based on my experience of working in the industry as well as being a service user.

If you use the rail network in the UK, or elsewhere for that matter, is there anything particular that you would like me to tell my employer about your needs when using the rail network? Any thoughts or ideas at all would be welcome.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 5:29 pm

Sandpiper wrote:
If you use the rail network in the UK, or elsewhere for that matter, is there anything particular that you would like me to tell my employer about your needs when using the rail network? Any thoughts or ideas at all would be welcome.

I live in Sweden and use trains, commuter trains and the subway in Stockholm regularly.

I get on trains early to be able to claim an independent seat with no passengers near me. Either that or i'd rather stand for the trip. The older models don't have independent seats and i always put my bag down so people will walk past me. If they stop, i tell them to keep moving. If they persist, i tell them to f-k off.

When i commute to work on the local commuter trains, i go later than most others and work until 18:30-ish, take a shorter lunch and sometimes i telecommute. The main reason being other passengers yapping in their phone, talking loudly or waving newspapers around (they STINK). Also screaming kids and the occasional ass makes me want to avoid using the train. I've considered selling my electric bike and buying a regular city/mountainbike and go the 15x2 kilometers by bikelanes...

All i want is to be able to go to work and be left alone by NTs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 5:31 pm

That's really great that the rail system is even having an "Autism Awareness Campaign."

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 7:24 am

I have a feeling that kind of thing could backfire badly. If they had an autism awareness campaign, it would make people avoid me at work, not understand me, and it certainly would be the death of any plans I had of advancement in the organization.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

The campaign is intended to help staff understand the needs of autistic people who use the UK rail network. I would like to contribute some ideas to the campaign and I have a few of my own based on my own needs when travelling, as well as being a member of staff. I was however hoping other people who use the UK rail network (or any other rail network) would also have some ideas that I could put forward.

@ Ichinin - Verbally abusing other passengers by telling them to f-k off is merely likely to result in you being removed from the train - something I would personally support.

@ IstominFan - I don't understand the relevance of your point at all.

Maybe everyone who travels on the rail network is entirely happy with the way they are treated by staff and I can tell the people running the campaign that they need not bother?

Bagpuss7
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2018, 12:58 pm

Perhaps awareness of something like the lanyards that a lot of airports in the UK have introduced that discreetly let staff know the wearer is autistic?
I've not ever used them myself, but have seen some positive reports of their use.
https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/autism-airports-help-revealed/
https://www.airsideint.com/new-caa-report-explores-progression-at-uk-airports-to-support-passengers-with-hidden-disabilities/

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 4:29 am

Sandpiper wrote:
@ Ichinin - Verbally abusing other passengers by telling them to f-k off is merely likely to result in you being removed from the train - something I would personally support.

And i support awareness campaings actually giving a s**t about the subjects they are supposed to care about, like taking such information back to it's employer to make sure that trains are purchased with individual seats so no such situations occur. You do realize that you're taking the side of the NTs with your standpoint?

As far as i know, around 80% of the autism workforce is unemployed because of ignorance from the NT population that we are unable to work or do anything advanced, and to be able to do work and GET to work there are prerequisites that needs to be fulfilled, like the need to be left alone and not to be stressed out by as*hole NT's that just HAVE to get too close to you, throw a newspaper on your arm and read it, then start bitching when you tell them to not do that, as*hole idiots who keep the commuter train doors open to talk to their friends (when they have f*****g mobile phones), making passengers sigh - and resulting in me pushing the idiot off the train, damn kids playing games on their tablets with high sound because some manufacturers remove the earphone socket because it is "trendy" (f**k APPLE) - and all you want to do is to get home and have some peace and quiet from all this s**t.

Commuting with other people is worse than work for me and it rarely goes a day without anyone behaving egotistically that makes me want to move out to nature and be done with society, and i hope to do that some day. Because some people, like you, don't bother to listen and do what is required to get some understanding.

"Oh, boo hoo, verbally abusing passengers" - are you sure you are on the spectrum?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 6:44 am

She's looking for constructive suggestions for improving train travel for autistics, not expletive-laden complaints.
How does that promote autism acceptance?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 7:01 am

And in answer to the original question,
I had one experience travelling on a train with an autistic boy (this was in New Zealand). It was a stressful experience, especially when he played up on the platform and ran out to the edge just as a train came in.
On the train, he was saying tactless or rude things quite loudly and there was no way to shut him up, though we tried lots of distraction. But the ticket inspector came by and she was really understanding and told us how she had a nephew like that, and her attitude really helped. I seem to remember she gave him a spare ticket to keep tucked in the band of his hat which he thought was great.
So I think the main thing would be to give all the rail staff training to recognise autistic behaviours and to be understanding, as that inspector was.
And maybe to recognise how autistic adults might not be showing signs of autism until the stress gets too much and they completely explode - especially in noisy and overcrowded conditions. Not sure what can be done to relieve those kind of situations, but it would help if staff understood, I think.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 7:42 am

Yes.

Training transit employees to recognize autistic sensory frustration. And training transit police, especially, to recognize sensory frustration, so situations don’t get out of hand.

Riding a bike in Central London is a sensory nightmare onto itself. Probably even worse than what occurs on the Tube. That wouldn’t be a solution.

There should be campaigns aimed at encouraging consideration for people’s space, whenever possible. We’re not allowed to play music out loud on the NYC subways.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

I'd prefer it if trains didn't have seats facing each other because it forces eye contact.

There needs to be more leg room so that it's easier to relax. People who are sitting in cramped conditions become more fidgety and that becomes anxious sitting next to someone who keeps readjusting because they haven't got enough room in their seat.

A toilet in every carriage would be ideal to stop people walking up and down the carriages too much which creates a feeling of too much movement and a sense of chaos for me.

When the announcements come over the loudspeaker I would feel more at ease if they were recorded by someone with a cheerful, happy voice rather than one that sounds serious. When they keep making announcements like "if you see anything suspicious like an unattended bag please report it" in a solemn voice it creates a more tense atmosphere.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 5:50 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
She's looking for constructive suggestions for improving train travel for autistics, not expletive-laden complaints.
How does that promote autism acceptance?

Read the post again, there is at least one suggestion there if you take time to read the words.

colossalfailure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2018, 7:35 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I have a feeling that kind of thing could backfire badly. If they had an autism awareness campaign, it would make people avoid me at work, not understand me, and it certainly would be the death of any plans I had of advancement in the organization.

This is exactly whats going to happen, people are just like that...

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2018, 11:10 am

Many thanks to those people who made constructive comments.

steve30
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2018, 12:19 pm

I think the main thing will be to educate people about what Autism/Aspergers/etc are and how staff should try and be understanding and patient.

I don't think I have any 'specific needs' when visiting a railway station.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 12:36 pm

Wow. A big subject, where does one start.
Mrs Peel's story looks an example of good practice by an aware guard/rpi in an awkward situation.
Personal suggestions ? probably not. Rail or rail plus bicycle is my default and has been for 40 years. I was one of the undiagnosed feral aspies who stuck by the railways all through their lean years long enough to see the recovery and boom in usage.

Personal pressure points - evenings and night times in the big urban areas - the trains are great but not so the scroats which ride them at certain times and without tickets. i am much happier on a train with a guard and a guard and a travelsafe officer is a brilliant combination to restore customer confidence in the railway in the evenings and late night around the cities. Especially so for a tired aspie - if I am very tired (eg after a very busy work day ) then I know there are signs in my vibe/body language which some scrotes can be good at spotting and seeing as someone to try and wind up or intimidate. More use of TSOs in the evenings is something especially good for autistic/aspie passengers and is something all passengers get a benefit from as well. Guards as well - if there is an awkward situation developing the guard is not on their own against a troublesome scrote or a stain of scrotes strting trouble. On some lines one suspects an intense blitz with lots of RPIs TSO and some police overtime could make the franchise a tidy proffit on penalty fares alone. :)