Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2019, 12:23 am

I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue. I really like going to the movies, and frequently kids movies are the only movie there that is halfway decent (for example last time it was the animated Spiderman movie or 2 movies before that was Wreck It Ralph 2) but I always feel so weird when I am the only adult without a child (or sometimes a date) in the theater. Sometimes it's worse if it's not a movie that has a bit of an adult appeal (like for example I sorta wanna see The Kid Who Would Be King). Should I just not feel so weird? Is it okay to be the weird adult in the theater because I like simpler stories from time to time (well... most of the time) and kids movies give them whereas adult movies don't (and if adult movies do they generally suck)?

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 1:30 am

I'm kind of like that too. If a sequel to an older kids movie comes out, my desire to see it will be sky high. I went and saw Cars 3 and Incredibles 2 by myself. Toy Story 4 might be a different story, because I want someone who I will always remember as the person I saw Toy Story 4 with. It'll be THAT much of a big deal! :D

I'll want to go see Shrek 5 as well when that comes out.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 1:43 am

Go for it, it shows your independent

sharkattack2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2019, 4:19 am

Being the only adult alone at a kids movie is not a good idea.

Two possible risks and bolt are very bad.

Risk one people might think you are some kind of pervert hanging around.

Risk two you may put a target on your back as being vulnerable and soft.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2019, 10:02 am

I have two possible solutions. Sign up for a big sister program and take an at-risk kid with you. (The cost of the extra ticket is sometimes covered by organizations or partnerships with theaters and other kid-friendly locations.) Or, if you prefer not to go through the process of becoming involved in something like that, just take a neighborhood kid with you. I mean, obviously only go that route if you're friendly with your neighbors and their parents agree. I know lots of working parents on my street who loved it when my mom took their kids along to someplace like a restaurant or church along with my siblings. You could feel comfortable going to the theater and make a kid's day, too.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 10:19 am

Just dress appropriately so you don't look like a creep.
Be polite to the others and you should be fine.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 10:56 am

I don't see how this would be a problem, unless you're really anxious about other people laughing at you for watching children's movies or something like that. Then again, maybe this is some kind of a cultural difference... where I'm from it's fine for adults to go watch children's movies on their own (especially disney movies), as long as they don't mind laughing from some teens and preteens or little kids asking their parents why there's an adult alone in there because it's for kids.

But if the things others mentioned worry you, you could start a little blog or the like where you give reviews about children's movies as a hobby. Then, if someone comes to ask you why you're in such a place, you can show them the blog. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, either.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 1:57 pm

My tip as someone who went to see Mary Poppins Returns... There were 2 of us but adults alone in there wouldn't have got that stigma cos 90% of the crowd were adults.

Go in the evening.

Sometimes if you do that, you're the only one in the cinema. Better than being surrounded by kids.

Kids are annoying anyway.

Kids shows at 10AM-15PM showings will be packed but the 18PM one won't be and if it's a family movie, you'll get more of an adult crowd.

Actually even as a kid I did this once and it was a magical experience. We had Tom's Midnight Garden all to ourselves. Like a giant living room.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 2:01 pm

Go for it- I know a ton of people of all ages that enjoy them. The movies are about the movies, I doubt to many people are staring at you.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 8:08 pm

The theater is dark

Who is going to accuse you of raping children?

Wait til the movie starts to go in

Watch it on video

Sit away from children

It is just a movie

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 9:16 pm

I go to the very first show of the day. It is hard for a family to show up that early so there theater has people, but usually isn't that crowded. Even better, go on a weekday instead of the weekend.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 9:33 pm

They might see you going in and out, but the theater is dark. Usually they are not paying attention to people going in and out

They are talking to each other

Seats face front

The entrance is in the back

This is not like going to a playground without children

What is the problem?

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2019, 10:43 pm

Most people don't pay attention to those sorts of things.

I know I don't.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:02 pm

Has someone given you a hard time about it?

KASpenguin87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2019, 11:18 pm

The Kid Who Would Be King is a good movie. I went with my friend. I saw Into the Spiderverse by myself and I had no problem being by myself in the theater. Most people don’t care about who is in the movie theater with them, they are just going to have a good time and see a good movie

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:50 pm

In the unlikely event I were to notice someone sitting by themself in a theater, I would probably come to the conclusion they were reviewing the movie. Either as a reviewer for the public or reviewing the movie to see if it's something they would want their family to watch.