Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:25 pm

Hey
was wondering if anyone out there who suffers from sensory impairment and in particular hypersensitivity to sound, has even been given any form of medication for this symptom and found it effective.

I know, we can wear headphones with noise cancelation, ear plugs, and lock ourselves away.
I was just hoping that there may be something else that may be done.

Although I do understand that many of the problems with the Autistic mind is due to different or abnormal physical brain biology and thus, is super sensitivity caused by the brain working differently rather than a chemical imbalance.

Otherwise, thanks.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:30 pm

IDK about meds but
https://www.ablekidsfoundation.org/
Makes a device that goes in your ear and basically slows down your faster ear to the speed of the other ear so the information reaches the same place in the brain at the same time and can be processed easier. It has made a huge difference for me.

However, it is expensive and only made in Colorado.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:48 pm

Hello
thanks, that's very interesting.
I will check it out.
Cheers

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:52 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Hello
thanks, that's very interesting.
I will check it out.
Cheers

I hope it works out for you :)

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

07 Feb 2019, 9:30 am

I read of a couple members having their sound sensitivities helped alittle by the beta-blocker Inderal/Propranolol. It's sometimes used to help with certain anxiety things too. I would suspect that benzodiazepines might would of helped those members too but it's just a guess. Benzos are used to help anxiety but not meant to be taken regularly long term thou due to addiction & building up tolerance but might could be tried for occasional use(like in special situations) or for a short time while adjusting to a new environment. I would see about the Inderal 1st.

I found being in environments with lots of noise helped me become less sensitive to sounds but I still have some sound sensitivities.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 12:05 am

Op wrote:

"...Although I do understand that many of the problems with the Autistic mind is due to different or abnormal physical brain biology and thus, is super sensitivity caused by the brain working differently rather than a chemical imbalance."

There could be a psychological component, also, in regard to this kind of sensitivity. It never fails to amaze me that no one ever even mentions this possible aspect. This is not to discount anyone genuine distress from noise, not matter what the factors behind it.

Bagpuss7
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2019, 1:11 pm

I was diagnosed with hyperacusis before AS. My NHS audiology dept fitted me with a sound generator which is designed to desensitize the brain with regard to perceiving noise as pain.
I also agree with the poster above that there is undoubtedly a psychological side to it as well. Misophonia/phonophobia are exceedingly common alongside hyperacusis.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 11:06 pm

I have never heard of this. I know a lot about meds.