Where are all the average weight autistics?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 10:17 am

I lost about 50 pounds right after I left my mother's house when I was 20.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 10:38 am

OP, where you live could be part of it. Speaking VERY generally some parts of the country are heavier than others, heavier than average. Also, Again very generally, people on the spectrum, might be under or over weight due to sensory issues surrounding food. I can't say that I've noticed one way or the other myself though.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:45 pm

I'm 160 pounds and I think that's pretty normal.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 3:05 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
I would also see "sacred" as a rather strong word under the circumstances (but I don't think she was suggesting "worshipping" food) - at least for me, the principle still stands.

That is a good way to look at it

Instead of just deprivation and control (although deprivation and control play essential parts)

MelodyPadilla98
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2019, 3:27 pm

Idk but I'm 6 feet and 160

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 10:28 pm

I'm in a normal BMI.

Specifics depends on what scale I'm using... and I also fluctuate 5 pounds or so in a day. I always weigh more at the doctor's office, it's depressing lol

I've been on the low end of my BMI (as an adult) and high mid but always within, so I think in generally consistent.

CC2501
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2019, 11:08 pm

I'm 6 foot 3, and weigh about 170 pounds. Lost over 40 pounds this past year. Trying to lose more. My BMI is around 20-23, so in the normal range. I'd say I am pretty normal personally.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2019, 11:43 pm

I used to be overweight until 15 years ago until my only diabetic complication caused me to lose 95 pounds without even trying. I went from 245 in 2004 to 190 8 months later then 170 two years later then 150 a year ago, all without trying. Believe me, you sure don't want the gastroparesis that did it to me. I was actually trying to gain weight 6 months ago and am now 161. Height is 5'8".

One thing that might be said is that the social rejection faced by many of us tends to leave us less active since there are few people to do anything with. So it's all too easy to settle in to a sedentary lifestyle.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 12:50 am

I'm about 5-6 and I weigh around 275 lbs. I've been eating a lot less fast food over the past 4 months. My next goal will to be to increase my water intake.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

26 Mar 2019, 4:34 am

magz wrote:
Sensory issues may cause either dislike for food or craving for it.
Some of us easily forget to eat.
Eating disorders are not uncommon.
Meds for depression and anxiety cause gaining weight.
Not many autistics like sports.
I was pretty skinny as a kid until I moved in with my current girlfriend at 30 due to being a very picky eater who couldn't cook & my mom hated cooking special meals for me so I ate just one big meal a day except maybe for alittle snack or two. I quit being quite as picky 1ce I moved in with my girlfriend & she cooks so I gained alittle weight but I was at a healthy BMI until I started binge-eating & exercising less. I think stress is some of that factor, bad weather & things going on that prevent me from exercising as much, & a med or two I'm on may be contributing to the binging or just may cause weight gain in general. I really need to start working on the binging, exercise more 1ce the weather gets better, & I plan to try weaning myself off two of the meds that could be affecting my weight &/or binging.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2019, 11:52 am

I was pretty skinny/seriously underweight due to a stomach disorder, and the tendency to walk long distances, until I moved in with my in laws who provided a stable environment.
Now my BMI is 21.6 and I'm mostly all muscle

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 1:41 pm

Since reaching 6'1", I have weighed between 140 and 200 lbs. The extremes were brief. I felt best at 160 and am 170 now. I seldom buy any food more processed than flour.
Stories about problematic defecations are a new thing which I'm sure is related to fast food.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 1:28 am

I'm 4' 11" and 94 lbs with a BMI of about 19.4, so toeing the line between underweight and healthy. I've struggled to put weight on my whole life. I have severe sensory issues with many foods and always have, so as a child I was always significantly underweight, but to be fair I've also always been very short. I was born premature at 26 weeks, and if I hadn't started taking growth hormone shots every day when I was 9 or 10, doctors speculated that I wouldn't have surpassed 4' 1". I grew ten inches in the three years I was on the hormones.

I still struggle to eat enough. I forget to eat frequently, and often end up eating only one meal a day, with maybe a few snacks dispersed in between. I still struggle a lot with food, I've been in feeding therapy for about a year and a half now, trying to expose myself to the textures I can't deal with so I can get used to them. It's worked a little bit, but I still have a long way to go.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 1:36 am

Well I was between 95 and 100 pounds...now it seems to have changed to between 105 to 110, I mean my 20s are over I am 29 so I guess maybe you just get a little fatter when you age or maybe just me I could never get past 100 when I was younger, it was frustrating a few times I thought of donating blood but found you had to weigh at least 110 pounds or they wouldn't do it. Either way I will have to get some new clothes for the summer because my size 0 cut off shorts don't fit anymore at least not comfortably I guess I have moved to size 1.

ZackMichel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2019, 9:41 am

I had an eating disorder, but other than that I am now at a healthy weight.

I was reading about eating disorders being common among people with ASD, but I'm not sure the person was talking about the same types of eating disorders. I was diagnosed with anorexia, and it wasn't that much about food aversions related to sensory issues. It was more run-of-the-mill anorexia where my brain was using exercise and food restriction as an obsessive way to control my environment. You don't eat and your body's serotonin levels are affected, causing addictive behavior related to starvation and gut hormones.

Anyway, I haven't ever been overweight. When I was underweight, I was very sick. Now I am healthy. :)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 158 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 2:15 pm

I didn't gain weight until I started taking meds.