Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2019, 11:51 pm

Can't You Get Somebody To Help? How many Aspies here have been asked this question when trying to explain to someone that you simply have no family, friends or acquaintances to help with some task where such help is required by some outside agency for bureaucratic reasons? It is one of my most dreaded questions and the older I get the more I get asked this stupid question. People are so ignorant of the lives lived by those of us whom they and similar people reject that they automatically presume that everybody has a world of friends just ready and waiting to heed the call for help. People place us in their shoes rather than placing themselves in our shoes. It always impresses me as a pass-the-buck maneuver similar to the story behind the Little Red Hen nursery rhyme or the common excuse, "don't look at me... it didn't happen on MY shift".

At my age, this most often happens when dealing with doctors since they are trying to get somebody else to take responsibility to avoid their deathly fear of being blamed by some bloodsucking lawyer. At present I'm dealing with a situation in which two of my three heart arteries are 100% blocked. By all right I should have dropped dead from a heart attack long ago but collateral flow from the good artery is the only thing keeping me alive. I've explained to my local doctor why I have nobody to help and thought he was going to pass the message to others. But still I was asked that "Can't You Get Somebody To Help" question by one of the nurses at the local hospital where the diagnostic procedure was done that determined this. Once I told her I'm an Aspie and explained it all to her, she was most supportive and quite impressed by the talents that AS gave me. We had a really nice chat after that. This blockage is too much for the local hospital to handle so they must send me to an Atlanta area hospital (twice) to do the same procedure again to correct it (cardiac catheterization... Google "CTO PCI"). I was told that all the arrangements would be be handled for me, including the transportation issue since I won't be allowed to drive for a week afterwards. Well, today I got a call from a nurse on the other end to schedule it and when I brought up the nobody to help problem, I got asked that same "Can't You Get Somebody To Help" question. Nobody in the medical world talks to each other. Maybe with all the jaw-flapping that NTs do, none of them talk to each other in general... or maybe they just don't listen. So I explained the whole story all over again. I told her how people socially reject those of us with autism throughout life and how it prevents you from having the opportunity to develop the acquaintances and friendships that other people have, with it all piling up at the end of your life in situations like this. Then I told that nurse that I would gladly wave a magic wand over my head to fix it if I could but that there is simply nobody to help... and I repeated it again... there is simply nobody to help. Then I told her that the only person to help was my 95 year old mom who is dying from cancer, on oxygen all the time and has not been able to drive for a year and a half. I think she finally got the message and she said, "oh, I'm SOOOOO sorry" but I have no idea if those were just the words NTs use to feel better for having said them. She was going to pass the message around at that end so we will see if they actually understand or not.

Anyhow, I'm wondering how many other Aspies constantly encounter this dreaded "Can't You Get Somebody To Help" question. Maybe I'm the only one. Sometimes I think that it takes a sledge hammer to bang a message in to an NT well enough so that they can actually understand it.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 3:23 am

Something like that

"Help" is not always a good thing

For example Mussolini was helping the Gestapo

"Most people" say "help" like "help" is always Purple Heart Award

"Most people" say "hurt", like "hurt" is always Mandated Reporter law violation

And the "I am sorry" as sympathy gets on my nerves

Yes they mean well

But if they keep saying "sorry" for sympathy instead of apology, then it is not clear what they are apologizing for

They said "I am sorry your mom died"

But they did not kill her

And they act like I was so emotionally fragile that I could not handle the slightest thing

And they might be correct or getting closer to correct

But saying "sorry" does not "help"

Then they expect me to say "thank you"

They have no clue how lil dipshits socially rejected me a lot , in a wide variety of methods. And, since around age 25, I have pretty much given up on trying to make friends altogether

Risk versus reward

Anyways thus far, almost all previous precious lil "friends" were more trouble than they were worth

Sooner or later almost all of them dumped me

And it "hurt" a lot and for a long time

What gets on my nerves is that they act so morally innocent. Like they have never done anything wrong before in their lives

f**k Amy Lee scheel b***h

And the part you wrote about them putting autistic into their shoes, instead of them putting themselves into autistics shoes

Is elegant and eloquent

Spot on

Bingo

Some precious lil "people" had the nerve to tell me that "you don't care about anyone except yourself!".

My own precious lil "mom" had the nerve to tell me that"autism means selfish". (Diagnosed Asperger's)

Seriously though, ladies and gentlemen and etcetera.

Maybe, NTs understand NTs 90 percent

NTs act like they understand me 80 percent and act like I understand them ten percent

But I feel like I understand them 70 percent

And they understand me 40 percent

There are too many of them and they talk too much and too loudly

f**k mister redelings

:roll:

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2019, 4:41 am

Oh my goodness, I get this all the time. There are lots of things that I'd like to do to those who assume I have access to help. I live on the other side of the country from my family. I chose to live this way because I was always so stressed out by all of the responsibilities and rules I'd have to follow if I were to live at home or near my family. I miss them immensely now. But yeah. A special place in hell, indeed.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 6:23 am

It's normal to ask that, though. It's a problem only if they don't believe what you say.
Isn't the main problem there simply that information didn't properly flow between the hospital staff? It really sucks when that happens and can be life threatening too at worst, but regular patients can't really do anything about it other than make complaints.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2019, 10:54 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
It's normal to ask that, though. It's a problem only if they don't believe what you say.
Isn't the main problem there simply that information didn't properly flow between the hospital staff? It really sucks when that happens and can be life threatening too at worst, but regular patients can't really do anything about it other than make complaints.

Good point... just today I was joking with a nurse who called me about this procedure that the real problem with the medical system was that nobody listened, nobody talked to each other and nobody read anything. I had her laughing non-stop from what she had seen from inside that system. Everybody is assigned a small piece of the puzzle and there is no coordination between the parts so you must repeat the same story over and over again to each new person you talk to. They are also playing a finger pointing game, leaving the hot-potato transportation issue that results from my autism up to the doctor to deal with but chances are that nobody has said anything to him about it. I can just see it unfolding right now. The day before the procedure will arrive and nobody will have made a decision so I will be forced to resort to my original idea of taxi to limousine to airport to taxi to hospital, which will not work on the way back because I will be on light duty and not allowed to exert myself by carrying my bag through the airport. Just watch it unfold. It will really get somebody's attention when they must assign an on-duty nurse to drive me all the way back home (80 miles) afterwards. And you can bet your bottom dollar that in the process, somebody is going to ask that question, "can't you get somebody to help"?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 11:44 pm

First of all, I usually have zero friends

Second, do not want to exhaust my friends by demanding too much

"Helping" takes a lot of skill, time and energy

Most lil dipshits "help" one teaspoon and demand one barrel of credit

"Happy birthday"
"Good luck"
"Congratulations"
Compliments
"How are you"
"Are you ok"
", Take care"
"Have a nice day"
"Nice to see you"

And you have to say "thank you" when all they did was flap their stupid ass trap

"Actions speak louder than words"

"Loose lips sink ships"

"Is helping people important to you?"
Counselor Jeanne Courtney

"Helping people"? That b***h made it sound like she dragged my worthless corpse out of a burning building

:wink:

:mrgreen:

The insurance paid her 75. She "helped" me one dollar

So who the f**k is "helping" whom?

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2019, 11:58 pm

I sure hate people, in general. They suck. I suck because I'm a person. It sucks being a person.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 12:19 am

TTRSage wrote:
Can't You Get Somebody To Help? How many Aspies here have been asked this question when trying to explain to someone that you simply have no family, friends or acquaintances to help with some task where such help is required by some outside agency for bureaucratic reasons? It is one of my most dreaded questions and the older I get the more I get asked this stupid question. People are so ignorant of the lives lived by those of us whom they and similar people reject that they automatically presume that everybody has a world of friends just ready and waiting to heed the call for help. People place us in their shoes rather than placing themselves in our shoes. It always impresses me as a pass-the-buck maneuver similar to the story behind the Little Red Hen nursery rhyme or the common excuse, "don't look at me... it didn't happen on MY shift".

At my age, this most often happens when dealing with doctors since they are trying to get somebody else to take responsibility to avoid their deathly fear of being blamed by some bloodsucking lawyer. At present I'm dealing with a situation in which two of my three heart arteries are 100% blocked. By all right I should have dropped dead from a heart attack long ago but collateral flow from the good artery is the only thing keeping me alive. I've explained to my local doctor why I have nobody to help and thought he was going to pass the message to others. But still I was asked that "Can't You Get Somebody To Help" question by one of the nurses at the local hospital where the diagnostic procedure was done that determined this. Once I told her I'm an Aspie and explained it all to her, she was most supportive and quite impressed by the talents that AS gave me. We had a really nice chat after that. This blockage is too much for the local hospital to handle so they must send me to an Atlanta area hospital (twice) to do the same procedure again to correct it (cardiac catheterization... Google "CTO PCI"). I was told that all the arrangements would be be handled for me, including the transportation issue since I won't be allowed to drive for a week afterwards. Well, today I got a call from a nurse on the other end to schedule it and when I brought up the nobody to help problem, I got asked that same "Can't You Get Somebody To Help" question. Nobody in the medical world talks to each other. Maybe with all the jaw-flapping that NTs do, none of them talk to each other in general... or maybe they just don't listen. So I explained the whole story all over again. I told her how people socially reject those of us with autism throughout life and how it prevents you from having the opportunity to develop the acquaintances and friendships that other people have, with it all piling up at the end of your life in situations like this. Then I told that nurse that I would gladly wave a magic wand over my head to fix it if I could but that there is simply nobody to help... and I repeated it again... there is simply nobody to help. Then I told her that the only person to help was my 95 year old mom who is dying from cancer, on oxygen all the time and has not been able to drive for a year and a half. I think she finally got the message and she said, "oh, I'm SOOOOO sorry" but I have no idea if those were just the words NTs use to feel better for having said them. She was going to pass the message around at that end so we will see if they actually understand or not.

Anyhow, I'm wondering how many other Aspies constantly encounter this dreaded "Can't You Get Somebody To Help" question. Maybe I'm the only one. Sometimes I think that it takes a sledge hammer to bang a message in to an NT well enough so that they can actually understand it.

I am sorry about that situation, it sounds horrible and it makes me angry to be honest. Like they should collaborate with each other and talk about your diagnoses and try to find a treatment or solution....not just lazily pass on messages about your health. Like this kind of stuff makes me sick why are people so opposed to helping one another....I mean my dad has gone out to california to help in the burn areas, and on his facebook update he had a little video of a little child hugging his dog. Like it really seemed like that kid needed a hug, and he was next to a wood pallet stacked with water bottles and my dad was there with his dog and that kid on the video hugged the dog and was just so happy to have a positive moment in the crisis. Granted I am worried about my dad he's gone up there to help, but he's also homeless and doesn't have a consistent income, so I just hope he's not like stranded up there, and I have not seen any facebook updates from him this week, so I hope he is just been helping but I worry about if anything bad happened to him. Either way nothing I can do about it but at the same time as his kid, if he starts getting failing health and things I don't know how my other siblings or me would be able to help him. I just keep hoping that he remains in ok health...because otherwise, I literally am not in a position to help him with medical costs or anything and he even knows that but he's getting old so eventually his age is going to start getting to him. He might be asked if 'someone can help' and he might not have help at some point. I mean s**t me and my siblings will have a hard time making an ok income to live on, not sure we would be much help to my dad...Like I feel bad for him but I literally can't really do anything for him.

I mean now it just feels very real, like he could die up there trying to help people..I feel like and it worries me I guess. Also I can't really contact him easily because he does not have a functioning phone...but he is able to post updates sometimes when he can get internet, so I do hope I see more from him soon.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 12:31 am

In order to "help", they have to know what they are doing

Mussolini was helping the Gestapo

"Helping people" is not always a good thing

The lil dipshits that I interact with are ass holes. Someone was standing right in front of the bus doors. "Go ahead", he said. As though he "helped" me and I had to say " thank you". If I waited for him to get on the bus, then he did not get on the bus. Then miss the bus. If I cut him, lil penis says "that's rude!".

Precious lil " people" do not deserve to be called people

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 12:42 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
In order to "help", they have to know what they are doing

Mussolini was helping the Gestapo

"Helping people" is not always a good thing

The lil dipshits that I interact with are ass holes. Someone was standing right in front of the bus doors. "Go ahead", he said. As though he "helped" me and I had to say " thank you". If I waited for him to get on the bus, then he did not get on the bus. Then miss the bus. If I cut him, lil penis says "that's rude!".

Precious lil " people" do not deserve to be called people

The other day I was almost so upset, because I was running out to what I thought was my bus and waving my hand because I wasn't quite to the stop yet and was hoping for them to stop. Well the bus I saw the driver waved back and just drove by so I was immediately enraged and so mad I was about to call the bus service and tell them about it. Then saw the time on my phone and realized my bus hadn't got to the stop yet....and that other bus may have been headed somewhere but not stopping at stops at that point. So maybe he saw some crazy person waving and decided to wave back...but I thought it was my bus and he was just sarcastically waving while refusing to stop at my stop because I was a couple steps away from it. So I was so upset for a minute before I realized my bus was still on its way and that other bus was not the one I was trying to catch.

I mean I really hope that was a bus just headed to another location without picking up passengers at that point and just figured I was a weird pedestrian. And wasn't a bus driver that was skipping people nearly to the stop. But I am not sure, like did he wave back because he knew that was not a bus stop for that bus and so he just figured I was being a morning weirdo....or was that a stop that bus is supposed to stop at and he regularly mocks people running to the bus stop that aren't quite there yet by mockingly waving and just driving right past them...its hard to say.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 10:58 am

Not unless you hire them

"Help" is too strong of a word

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 11:39 am

"You understand the need more than anybody else I know. Will you help? If not, why do you think anyone else would?"
Unfortunately, many people can' begin to imagine how we live. I had a simple fracture of my thumb, and the doctors managed to make a lot of insurance claims about it while not helping it, and ruining my mental health.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 11:28 pm

Sometimes they claim a lot of credit when they earned less or none

Some idiot in the bathroom was talking to himself loudly and hurt my ears. There was only one toilet and I left before finishing. He was impatient and noisy. When I was washing my hands he told me that he turned on the blow dryer for me. The blow dryer hurt my ears. He acted like I had to say "thank you".

Dave redelings, San Diego, grunted "you want me to call you ("your boys name").?". "Ok" (,2006 San Diego)

After 2012 if he was my boss, it would have been "discrimination"

The penis acted like he did me a personal favor

Ozben felek b***h told me that she put her dog in the car. "Sorry". Wrong. Leash Law. My fear of dogs has nothing to do with it.

Counselor Jeanne Courtney told me that from now on, she would say "angry" instead of b"mad" . For me and anyone that asked.

Wrong. I had to go all the way to the recycling center to get the dictionary. The stupid b***h did not even say "thank you" or "I apologize"

Jeanne Courtney acted like she did me a personal favor

But I did her a personal favor. She was an on duty professional in that field

She ",helped" me one dollar. She got 75

Dave redelings "hurt" me ten bucks and he got zero

Context

Even though she is still in the positive and he is in the negative, she cheated me more than he did

f**k Jeanne Courtney

f**k ozben felek

f**k Dave abbott redelings, San Diego, civil engineer, Caminito dia

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 11:44 pm

I get this too. Mostly around transportation. I can't drive. I failed my driver's test and I can't just retake it either. First of all in Ohio, if you fail your first driver's test if you are over 18, you have to take a class. You have to arrange this class and it isn't free or cheap. I have no car of my own to get to the class. My mom won't let me touch her car. I have no friends with whom to practice with. My mom is Hellbent on me not driving. She won't help me with this class or driving in general. She's just angry I failed my test.

When I told her the BMV she insisted I go take it at had horrible Google reviews she didn't believe me and said, "They're all from people who are miffed because they did not take lessons and failed." The guy testing me just started screaming at me before he even got in the car. Due to issues in the past, I just freeze when people scream at me. He didn't even let me finish my test either. But in my mom's eyes it's all my fault.

When I told her my driving instructor was kinda nasty to me. Same thing with the being yelled at. I would freeze on the road because she would yell at me over minor things. My mom would say if I was like that, I didn't belong behind the wheel. That lady made me so nervous I often threw up after driving lessons. I tried to explain to the instructor about how when people yell at me, I get nervous and can't function. She just got angry at me for "accusing" her. And people wonder why I have problems standing up for myself.

Anyhow, people don't seem to understand that not everyone has a car. Or has access to a transportation system. My AS boyfriend lives in an abusive home but can't get out because EVERY SINGLE abuse hotline he's talked to just tells him about how he needs to get out of there. No s**t Sherlock! But no one is offering to pick him up and take him to a shelter or something.

When I was in a similar situation, when my mom was being verbally abusive and making me want to kill myself, I got the same thing from hotlines but no one could understand that I lived in the boondocks with no access to a bus and had no car. If we had friends or relatives who could take us in, don't you people think we'd already be staying with one of them?

I had found an injured baby bird but every wildlife rehabilitor I called said I would have to take it to them. "I do not have a car" is not a phrase most of them understood either. I knew a man who had an endangered duck DIE from a very treatable condition because "I don't have a car" wasn't in the rehaber's vocabulary.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 12:04 am

Some idiot security guard told me that I was in the bathroom half hour (exaggeration) . And asked if I needed "help". Then he told me that he would call medical services if I was not out in five minutes

What the flying f**k?

There were four empty toilets

I was not bothering anyone

They were bothering me

And they act like they were "helping" me?

They could "help" me by leaving the bathroom

:mrgreen:

Amy lee scheel b***h. Former precious lil "friend" was not even willing to put her stupid ass dog on leash. Or wait for the light to turn green. :ninja: that's the law

The b***h had the nerve to tell me that she would tell me when I did something she did not like, and she expected me to change immediately permanently drastically and cheerfully

While she was not willing to change the slightest thing for me.

And she called herself a "friend"

There should be a law against saying "huh" and "what" like they are the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me"

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 6:19 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I get this too. Mostly around transportation. I can't drive. I failed my driver's test and I can't just retake it either. First of all in Ohio, if you fail your first driver's test if you are over 18, you have to take a class. You have to arrange this class and it isn't free or cheap. I have no car of my own to get to the class. My mom won't let me touch her car. I have no friends with whom to practice with. My mom is Hellbent on me not driving. She won't help me with this class or driving in general. She's just angry I failed my test.

When I told her the BMV she insisted I go take it at had horrible Google reviews she didn't believe me and said, "They're all from people who are miffed because they did not take lessons and failed." The guy testing me just started screaming at me before he even got in the car. Due to issues in the past, I just freeze when people scream at me. He didn't even let me finish my test either. But in my mom's eyes it's all my fault.

When I told her my driving instructor was kinda nasty to me. Same thing with the being yelled at. I would freeze on the road because she would yell at me over minor things. My mom would say if I was like that, I didn't belong behind the wheel. That lady made me so nervous I often threw up after driving lessons. I tried to explain to the instructor about how when people yell at me, I get nervous and can't function. She just got angry at me for "accusing" her. And people wonder why I have problems standing up for myself.

Anyhow, people don't seem to understand that not everyone has a car. Or has access to a transportation system. My AS boyfriend lives in an abusive home but can't get out because EVERY SINGLE abuse hotline he's talked to just tells him about how he needs to get out of there. No s**t Sherlock! But no one is offering to pick him up and take him to a shelter or something.

When I was in a similar situation, when my mom was being verbally abusive and making me want to kill myself, I got the same thing from hotlines but no one could understand that I lived in the boondocks with no access to a bus and had no car. If we had friends or relatives who could take us in, don't you people think we'd already be staying with one of them?

I had found an injured baby bird but every wildlife rehabilitor I called said I would have to take it to them. "I do not have a car" is not a phrase most of them understood either. I knew a man who had an endangered duck DIE from a very treatable condition because "I don't have a car" wasn't in the rehaber's vocabulary.

In here people understand the "I don't have a car" -thing well, but when I say I don't have a driver's license people have trouble believing it. They first assume that I just can't afford one (the driving and theory classes are expensive and everyone has to take them, unless their parent or someone has a teaching license and agrees to teach) and tell me to start saving. The real reason is that my disability prevents me from getting one and since that kind of thing is rare people don't always even believe it.