Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

24 Jul 2007, 7:58 pm

As a kid i was very sensitive to light to the point that i would get very bad migraines and would throw up from them. They eventually went away. Could this be considered an aspie trait or a NT thing? Would it be considered sensory overload? Did anybody else experience this as well?

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2007, 11:46 pm

You should do more research, there are threads about this. Sensory issues are definitely part of the autistic spectrum, like sensitivity to light.

Sensory overload is very related to meltdowns (they could even be synonyms, but sensory overload is usually the cause of a meltdown): http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=39597

This one is about light: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... y+overload

Rocketv8
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2007, 1:01 am

I am sensitive to light, but not to the point of getting migrains. My sensitivity varies depending on my mood, if I am tired, hungry, or maybe slightly overloaded.

I don't think getting migraines from just light would cause an overload by itself, but I could be wrong. I think it could be part of being an aspie, but I have known NTs that get migraines from light.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 3:02 am

I just seemed to be sensitive to my environment in general..and it seemed like anything could trigger a migrane....(i don't seem to get them the way that I used to anymore ither)

Driving the car through a polluted part of town=migrane
The lysol being sprayed all over the classroom...the neon lights in the classroom....
loud noises....probably the food I was eating.....

I was subject to blinding horrible headaches when I was younger...and I was alot more sensitive to my environment than those around me.

Zelasyma
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2007, 11:18 am

I got migraines about once a week while in middle school. They were crippling, and that's when I would be sensitive to light. Might it be possible that you were especially sensitive to light because you already had a migraine coming, instead of the light causing the migraine?

Now I only get migraines from sleep deprivation. I can make it without sleep one night, but if I try to stay up the next night, I get a headache which totally knocks me out.

lola1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2007, 11:30 am

Having read the posts above it does seem that AS and migraines have a connection. My son is 14 and has suffered from terrible migraines through his childhood. He underwent blood tests loads of times because the doctors said that it wasn't 'normal' for kids to suffer headaches (unless accompanied by a high temperature). Nothing showed up though so maybe it was sensory overload.

He also suffered severely with tonsillitis and nasal problems that resulted in an operation. Zelasyma did / do you suffer with this? or anybody else for that matter?

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2007, 12:34 pm

Migranes always happen in large crowds for me...My sensory issues are sound and smells

Woman
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2007, 2:27 pm

Most unfortunately, lights that eminate from the computer bother me. One time at work I had to be on the computer all day and as a result, threw up.

Too many sounds at once hurt my head and greatly irritate me. :cry:

I'm not diagnosed, but I have many AS traits

edal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 3:57 pm

I'm another migraine sufferer as well but I'm not sure if it's connected to AS. Different people get migraines from different triggers, cheese, chocolate, even the smell of bread. With me it's an alteration in my sleeping pattern, I daren't have a lie-in because I know that this will trigger an attack.

Ed Almos

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2007, 4:01 pm

I used to get severe migraines when I was a teenager, then they went away. Now and then I get
"Silent migraines" with just the aura and the hypersensitivity to light, a little bit of pain and slight
nausea. I use both Excedrin migraine and head-on migraine and these usually help.

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

26 Jul 2007, 8:01 pm

I could always tell when a migraine was coming on as i would start to see dots out of my left eye. I don't get migraines as bad as i used to , it could be the other way around, already had the migraine and light just made it worst.
My headaches or migraines lately show up in the back of my neck instead of the forehead.

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:18 pm

Is it possible that Migraines were caused by sensitivity to fluorescent lights. I can't remember if the elementary schools i attended had fluorescent lights, they might have been. My migraines would cause me to throw up and i usually had to watch tv or lay down in a dark room with a cold towel on my head.

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2007, 11:24 pm

I used to get them all the time as a child. But now I usually get them the most on my period. But what would cause them would very from the food I ate, sound, and especially the light in my envirenment. But I'll make a new topic for that one.

In the end I realize that my headaches came from a "busy world". Too bright, and fast moving. I found that wearing sunglasses less'ns that stress. "new topic"

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:28 pm

I'm not sure if the migraines I've had are AS related since some of my triggers are red wine, heat with humidity, and MSG. Right now, the Excedrin Migraine taken with a glass of Coke works for me, especially if I take it right when I see the aura. Migraines run in my family as both my mom and brother who are NT, have dealt with them.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2007, 3:28 am

Yup, I'm a migraine sufferer too. I'm very sensitive to sunlight, but my headaches are also brought on by cigarette smoke (just the faintest whiff of it) petrol and chemical smells and subtler energies like atmospheric pressure.

Giving up caffeine helped a hell of a lot, but I still do get migraines, I'm guessing that sugar might also make things worse, but live without sugar? What's the point?
:wink:

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 8:49 pm

My migraines are usually triggered by trying to focus in dim light, when there's a bright light within the edge of vision, or moving in and out of a dark house on a bright day... I used to get motion sickness/migraine when reading in a moving car. (but never get sea sick)