Told I have Aspergers but Diagnosed with SCD

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 7:57 am

I recently took the ADOS, and received a diagnosis of Social Communication Disorder two and a half weeks ago. It has bothered me since. Before my therapist gave me the results she had me read the DSM-V for Pragmatic Social Communication Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorder. I admit, in my discomfort and haste, I didn't process much of it. When I returned home I found the criteria online and reread it.

I was actually angry. Though the communication and social hurdles fit, SCD completely disregards my stringent routines, very limited interests, sensory issues, repetition, etc... These are the things that cause me more problems in my life than my communication and socialization issues. My husband and I have pretty much gotten past that I don't understand his jokes and a lot of what he says, that I don't want to go to parties or out really because I am terrible in those environments (plus I would have to stop writing). What's more of an issue is me having no interest in hearing about anything other than my interests, or why I can't go on a shopping trip with my mother and sister without at least five days notice so I can wrap my head around having my routine changed.

So, yesterday, after obsessing over this for two and a half weeks, I told my therapist I thought her diagnosis was wrong and why (I was back to redo my invalid MMPI). She was understanding and informed me if I had been tested ten years ago and she was using the DSM-IV, I would "hands down" be diagnosed with Aspergers. She then informed me this is why she so doggedly tried to get a valid MMPI from me. So she could confirm a diagnosis of SCD and Anxiety Disorder. She went on to say if it was up to her Aspergers would still be a diagnosis.

She has told me, I can't be diagnosed with ASD because I can be imaginative (I'm a fiction writer), I also, in one area of the ADOS scored two points too low to reach the Autism threshold, though did in other areas.

I guess I feel like I'm a person who falls in a hole, and it ticks me off. I don't really care about the label. I know how I am. I've known my whole life I don't "fit" and function the same as most people. But what I wanted, was something I could point to when I'm accused of being "difficult," "immature," "self-absorbed," "selfish," "cold and uncaring," "ridiculous," "obsessive," etc...

I suppose I am venting and also wondering if anyone else has had issues with the changing diagnosis and similar experiences.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 8:51 am

Another baloney acronym-SCD

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 9:09 am

I believe Aspies can indeed have great imaginations. More than your standard NT. Have you ever determined what your personality type using the Myers Briggs tests? Here is a link to one of the test if you haven't.
Jung Typology Test
There are other free tests on-line.

You assessment as SCD rather than Asperger's really sounds like it is based on small technicalities.

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 9:48 am

jimmy m wrote:
I believe Aspies can indeed have great imaginations. More than your standard NT. Have you ever determined what your personality type using the Myers Briggs tests? Here is a link to one of the test if you haven't.

There are other free tests on-line.

You assessment as SCD rather than Asperger's really sounds like it is based on small technicalities.

I clicked on the link to take it again just to do it again, and scored INTJ as always.

I agree they can have great imaginations too. Being a writer and artist, I've been acquainted with, and friends with many Aspies over the years who are also writers and artists and incredibly imaginative.

I think another aspect too, is the therapist who did the assessment didn't ask me a lot about routines and interests and such. So she wasn't aware of my meltdowns, and other than Misophonia, she didn't know about my hypersensitivity to outside stimuli like light and touch. I'm also good at hiding stimming when I'm not at home mostly, and I'm good at making it seem as though I can make eye contact by looking at ears or the top of someone's head if I force myself. Though I know I barely looked at her during our sessions because I just couldn't.

Honestly. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it just does and my head is "loud" (as I call it) going in circles thinking about it.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 9:49 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet, TinyHat.

While obviously we don't know you well enough to confirm or refute any diagnosis, there are a couple of points you wrote that stand out to me...

TinyHat wrote:
She has told me, I can't be diagnosed with ASD because I can be imaginative

Nonsense. You won't have to hang around here for long before you notice how many of us are writers, musicians, visual artists, actors, etc. There are many kinds of imagination, and even if some are somewhat impaired, the others can remain perfectly intact. Lack of imaginative play is sometimes looked for in children, as it can indicate problems imagining how people's minds work; but by adulthood, we've often learned a lot of this by other means. Nor is lack of imagination singled-out as a necessary diagnostic criteria in any of the diagnostic manuals as far as I'm aware; and even if it were, you don't need to have every single thing that's listed, just a significant selection from each of the categories.

TinyHat wrote:
She [...] informed me if I had been tested ten years ago and she was using the DSM-IV, I would "hands down" be diagnosed with Aspergers

Under the old DSM-IV criteria for Asperger's Syndrome, impairments were necessary in both social communication and in repetitive/restrictive behaviour, just as for ASD now under DSM-V. If SCD is a differential diagnosis based on the lack of repetitive behaviours, then you should not have received an Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis under the old criteria either. Whether the therapist is right about your diagnosis, I cannot say, but this explanation for it is at least rather inconsistent.

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 10:33 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet, TinyHat.

Thank you. :D

The having an imagination because I'm a fiction writer sort of threw me. I've known a lot of artists and musicians and writers over the years with Aspergers.

As far as the repetitive behaviors, narrow interests, strict routine, etc... She explained to me she was seeing if she could attribute it to Anxiety Disorder since they are definitely there. The thing is though, I know what anxiety feels like, and I'm not "anxious" about let's say, my mother texting me in the morning saying she wants to stop over so we can do some gardening. It's not anxiety as I would describe it, it's like the room tilts because I planned to be writing and going through a thesaurus and I cannot contain myself and end up screaming and kicking my feet, and I can't help it. I don't think that's anxiety.

I feel like she's just looking for some other explanation or something because Aspergers isn't a thing anymore, but it pisses me off because SCD ignores this huge facet of myself which is what causes me the most issues. I spent most of my life wondering if deep down I really was some horrible selfish, awful, uncaring person, or just insane maybe, and I don't think I am. There have been so many times my husband wanted to do something like go out to dinner spontaneously, but I already planned to be writing and the idea of deviating from my plans makes me want to tear my hair out. Or too many people are talking and my head just buzzes and I get so over-stimulated I end up waving my hands and yelling. I don't know how to explain that to someone because in the past I get a response like "stop being such a jerk."

Another thing. My oldest child (22) is diagnosed with ASD. It's one reason I, at her prompting, went for an assessment. Although she's not as good at controlling certain things as I am, the similarities are astounding.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 10:44 am

TinyHat wrote:
As far as the repetitive behaviors, narrow interests, strict routine, etc... She explained to me she was seeing if she could attribute it to Anxiety Disorder since they are definitely there.

That sounds like putting the cart before the horse in at least two respects...

1) It is making assumptions about which is cause and which is effect (and that the influence must only be in one direction.)

2) The intent should be to deduce from observations what the likely diagnosis is, not to begin with with a favoured diagnosis and then try to match the observations to it.

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 11:50 am

Quote:
That sounds like putting the cart before the horse in at least two respects...

I agree, and that is a good way too put it. I feel like there's no box, so she's trying to fit me into another while acknowledging I don't fit in it.

As I've said previously, I know it shouldn't bother me, but it does. I wish it didn't, but there's not much I can do about that at the moment. I suppose it will just take time. I spent my whole life how I am, and a word for it really doesn't make a difference.

armandreyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2019, 11:53 am

You're lucky you got yourself a husband

Most of us can't even date in the first place

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 12:05 pm

armandreyes wrote:
You're lucky you got yourself a husband

Most of us can't even date in the first place

Thanks, I know I'm lucky. It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination. For whatever reason though, he was happy or at least all right with dealing with me. I will admit though, we had similar interests when we got together, and as mine shifted and I got worse at wearing my mask (as I call it) significant problems arose. It's one reason I went for the assessment. He has been very patient with me in recent months though as he's come to understand how I function better, and he's seriously a saint for putting up with me.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 12:13 pm

TinyHat wrote:
She has told me, I can't be diagnosed with ASD because I can be imaginative (I'm a fiction writer), I also, in one area of the ADOS scored two points too low to reach the Autism threshold, though did in other areas.

You need a better-informed therapist.

There are certain KINDS of imagination that autistic people tend to lack, e.g., as children, we tended not to engage in much pretend play, and we tended to fascinated by our toys primarily as objects in their own right rather than as the objects they represent. Additionally, we tend to fail tests of our ability to be imaginative in a spontaneous, totally out-of-the-blue, off-the-cuff, open-ended kind of way.

From this, some people in the psychotherapy establishment have concluded that we lack imagination IN GENERAL.

But that conclusion is wrong, and in my opinion just silly. After all, autistic children are notorious for being lost in their own worlds. Well, what were we all doing when we were lost in our own worlds as kids? I, for one, was using my imagination! -- but keeping it to myself, rather than trying to act it out or share it with others, because I couldn't express it in a way that others could relate to.

And I know that I am capable of being very imaginative when I have enough time to focus on a creative task.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 12 Jun 2019, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 12:37 pm

The word "imagination" can have different meanings.

The best that I can make out is that they are referring to social imagination, such as trying to figure out what someone is feeling or thinking. So even though I have a very vivid imagination (I operate on 5 or 6 planes at once and seamlessly move between them), I fit that particular definition.

So if you substitute the term "social imagination" for "imagination", the trait of lacking imagination might become clearer for you.

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 12:53 pm

Quote:

But that conclusion is wrong, and in my opinion just silly. After all, autistic children are notorious for being lost in their own worlds. Well, what were we all doing when we were lost in our own worlds as kids? I, for one, was using my imagination! -- but keeping it to myself, rather than trying to act it out or share it with others, because I couldn't express it in a way that others could relate to.

And I know that I am capable of being very imaginative when I have enough time to focus on a creative task.

I agree. I think it's silly too.

I was never good at "pretend," but I've always been good at being lost in my own world which I couldn't express. I can world build and as an adult after years, I've figured out how to write the stories in my head and do it well. Hell, I'm lost in my own worlds still at 40 most of the time. There's a lot of tricks I've learned too. I have books on body language and internal sensations for writing emotions because I don't understand them. I can when I write because it's ingrained in my head, but translating that to real life doesn't work. Tbf, I cheat when I write, a bit.

I think why it works for me in writing is I can own the writing, revise and tweak and work on it, just me and my editor. It's not like real time expression.

Nelbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 1:31 pm

Hello,

I kind of understand why you wanted to know but how can we trust how the professionals are breaking down anything associated with Aspergers. They do seem to have a really hard time figuring it out considering how many variations out there they have to pick from. I wish they would stick to broader descriptions so folks don't feel they've been placed in a slot they don't belong. Everyone that has had a diagnosis somewhere on the spectrum also has their list of the traits that apply and don't apply.

The most logical way to address these is to get back to the business of living your life. Now you know that it may be necessary to adjust your choices so you are not constantly triggered and thus becoming overwhelmed because it is something you can't do. Know thyself is the best advice in the world. Finding ways to live in the given world in harmony is a much better use of your energy than finding a diagnosis that works.

If you are looking for a way to get accommodated in the world then you need to find a way to accept that isn't going to happen and come up with your own method to adjust. It might mean quitting a job or school or finding your happy place is sticking to less is more for the sake of peace. Forcing yourself or any one else to accommodate you because of your issues won't happen with a happy face. Best to take the reins and give yourself the best shot. There is not a pill or a fix it is being born this way. We are here to find out what we love, what we like, what we want and that is exactly what everyone is here to find out. Everyone has their own unique chance to figure it out. It isn't harder for those on the spectrum, it is different. Don't give up and make your goal disability. Honestly, if you have to think about whether you're disabled or not.....then you are not. Sorry that sounds cold but if you have to figure it out then you don't need it.

Hang in there....who cares what is the diagnosis, you still have to live this day and hopefully tomorrow, along with the whole of mankind.

:?

“I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”

― Malcolm X

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2019, 1:51 pm

jimmy m wrote:
The word "imagination" can have different meanings.

The best that I can make out is that they are referring to social imagination, such as trying to figure out what someone is feeling or thinking. So even though I have a very vivid imagination (I operate on 5 or 6 planes at once and seamlessly move between them), I fit that particular definition.

So if you substitute the term "social imagination" for "imagination", the trait of lacking imagination might become clearer for you.

I know what you mean. :D

I have a very vivid imagination, and if someone wants to talk to me about it, I'll try to describe a world of urban fantasy and won't shut up about it if they allow me to keep going, though I can't tell you if someone is mad or sad or happy all the time. I think I can, then I find out I'm totally wrong. But fantasy worlds, lands, magic, sci-fi. I get it, create it, and won't shut up about it.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 2:38 pm

Being an INTJ is a very good personality trait for an Aspie. Perhaps the best trait.

So let me begin by describing the qualities of an INTJ. To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers.

On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities, which others might not even notice.
Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. This sometimes results in a peculiar naïveté' in a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Their intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships, which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

INTJs are one of the rarest personality types, accounting for approximately 2.1 percent of the population. Some INTJs describe themselves in the following way, “We choose to be ourselves and not care what others think. Intellectually being an INTJ is fun as hell! When presented with relevant, challenging, and coherent problems/books/ideas then we go crazy theorizing! In some ways the INTJ is a mixture between a seasoned professor and a observant fun-loving child.” “our logic is almost never wrong” “If suddenly something captures our attention, we just have to know each and everything about it.” “We are self confident individuals who know our strengths and weaknesses.” “Ideas are our forte. We identify with our ideas.” “INTJs can usually be quite good at accepting constructive criticism, if the INTJ respects the person giving the criticism.” “Things like authority, rank, and seniority mean little to most INTJs. For better or for worse, if I think someone is wrong, I will say so, whether they be a colleague, a teacher, or the CEO of the company. What matters most to many INTJs is getting the correct solution; it doesn't matter who produces it.” “ I prepare thoroughly before giving a formal presentation.” “utter earnestness, sincerity, and thoroughness. And a systems-oriented, big-picture mind.” “We usually see things from a million perspectives.” “We can stay alone for a loooong time: because there is a party going on inside our heads. A 100 voices talking, debating with each other about the best course of action around something.” “I felt very alone and ostracized as a child and youth because I didn't value the same things other kids did, didn't act the way they did, was consistently at the top of any scored intellectual activity (which always makes you less popular), didn't know how to gain the acceptance of my peers and didn't quite have a language to describe these feelings to my parents or others.” “Super Human Analytical Skills. I rely on this instinct often and it serves me well. Usually my snap decisions and judgments are spot on and brutally harsh.” “I learn quickly, sometimes intuitively. I can ride a motorcycle, go to sleep, play a computer game or otherwise ‘turn off’ active thinking, and come back and sit down and know exactly how to solve extremely complex problems. It's not that I didn't think about it, but instead my mind thought about it for me.” “ I’m hardly ever bored, because there are worlds, inside worlds, inside worlds in my own head.” “I am also an intensely private person. Most of the time even my closest friends and family don't know exactly what I'm thinking about or feeling because I prefer to keep it to myself.”

I just wish I knew how I became an INTJ. I have some thoughts but I need to compare notes with others to know for sure.