Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2019, 12:00 am

I also struggled with shared play and was often trying to monopolize it and would get frustrated when it didn't work.

I was prone to reading what you might call encyclopedia style picture books (not sure if there is a word for this). Everything from dinosaurs, astronomy, to Star Wars (I had some really good Star Wars ones that went into depth about the components and interiors of the ships. Seeing the inside of Slave I was so cool...). I was averse to reading fiction.

I also played with Legos and these things called K'nex. I'd also make stuff out of that thing where you build a tower and pull out blocks until it collapsed. I would also set up toy soldiers and fire rubber bands.

I'm not good a roleplaying with others. In adolescence, people tried really hard to get me to play D&D. I would get excited building the character and thinking about who they were based on personality, attributes, alignment, and background, but when it came time to actually role play the character, I was often at a loss and never got far into it.

I was told recently that I really enjoyed rocking horses when I was very small and had a sort of comfort blanket I carried around until it went to rags.

I remember I was playing with toys too late. I brought a toy to school once and tried to show it off and got mocked for it. "You still play with toys?" I felt kind of bad about it.

Eventually video games became all encompassing. I lost so many hours to Civilization IV, Morrowind, and the Legend of Zelda games. I also liked the Knights of the Old Republic games immensely.

As to collecting things, I would collect Hallmark cards when I was little. I just liked seeing the designs. I also collected a lot of VHS tapes and would loop the same movie, I've been told. I had a hard time throwing away the packaging for toys. I also collected coins. My oldest was 1908.

My last "toy" was a guitar and it became my special interest for many years. I put so many hours into it, although my practicing was not always the most effective and I would tend to loop the same short parts over and over. My technique built up fairly good this way, though.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 3:54 am

I used to enjoy playing board games, but if I lost I sometimes cried or stormed off.

Quote:
I remember I was playing with toys too late. I brought a toy to school once and tried to show it off and got mocked for it. "You still play with toys?" I felt kind of bad about it.

I remember when I was 14 I took my teddy bear to a family new years eve party. My cousins, who were also all teenagers or at least 12, criticised me. So basically I learnt the hard way that I was too old to take a stuffed animal to a family get-together.

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2019, 7:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
I used to enjoy playing board games, but if I lost I sometimes cried or stormed off.

Quote:

I remember when I was 14 I took my teddy bear to a family new years eve party. My cousins, who were also all teenagers or at least 12, criticised me. So basically I learnt the hard way that I was too old to take a stuffed animal to a family get-together.

I do not really like board games. I always give up. I have a hard time waiting my turn and I get frustrated. I like them for the first few minutes though. I have never been able to complete a game of monopoly.

I played with toys for a while. I have teddy bears that I really like still. I don't like taking them out though because I am scared of losing them. Also my sister said I shouldn't. I do have a hoodie I wear though. Its like a security blanket for me. It is blue and sort of too small for me. When I was in high school my parents told me I could only wear it when I was in stressful situations(exams,tests etc)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:05 am

I used to make up stories about people from other countries, usually whatever country I was interested in at the time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:06 am

I used to make up my own family tree of "human origins." I was in junior high. The guidance counselor thought I was crazy.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 3:25 pm

TazCrystal wrote:
I would play dress up by myself too. I did that till I was 14. My sister did not like that and thought I was weird. She thought I was so cool when we were younger.

This is really interesting. I think most very young kids (regardless of gender) are quite willing to play dress-up, or play in the mud and rough house. I think as most children age, they start to form ideas about what kinds of games are "boy games" or "girl games" based on their social interactions with other kids or adults around them. It may be that being less socially in-sync has protected you from your perceiving these social norms until your sister told you directly at a much later age.

I was the only girl I knew who didn't know how to play with dolls. I thought they looked cute, but I found them a bit uninspiring. The idea of taking care of a doll seemed more like work than like fun to me. I preferred playing with various animal toys. Tigers, lizards, frogs, and snakes were my favorites. I loved the ones that were really realistic. I wanted to learn about each species and would have imaginative play centered around how they get food and stay alive in nature.

... probably no one is surprised by that though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 3:47 pm

I had Barbie dolls that I played with, but when it came to taking care of a doll, I preferred to take care of a teddy bear instead. When I was a toddler I liked to push my teddy bear around in my dolls pram. I did have a couple of baby-like dolls which I included in play tea parties, but I couldn't really love a doll like I could a teddy bear. I remember I didn't like playing at one of my cousin's house because she had too many dolls, and they were creepy. Teddy bears are more cute and loving.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:21 pm

I had baby dolls that I sometimes carried around with me.
I once got a betsy-wetsy doll that when you fed it a bottle of water, it wet the diaper.
I took the doll apart to see how it worked. It was interesting but I couldn't get the doll back together.

They didn't have Barbie dolls when I was a kid. The first time I saw one I was around 13, I thought it was ugly.
I liked making puppets but I wasn't able to do a puppet show or tea parties because I didn't have that kind of imagination but was creative in my own way. I also liked to build with lincoln logs.

I loved kaleidoscopes and spinning tops and seeing how things worked.

I didn't have stuffed animals because in those days usually only babies received stuffed animals.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 9:34 am

I was generally terrible at any board game other than Trivial Pursuit. I also never played with Barbie dolls, or with dolls in general. I had special collectors' dolls like Baby Chrissie, but never actually played with them. I used to collect stuffed animals instead, particularly cats. I was especially fond of Siamese.