How do I let a teacher know about this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2019, 8:14 pm

I just started school this week. I have a mainstream English class and my teacher calls on me a lot. She calls on people even though they dont put their hands up. I'm also in the front row. There is a thing in my IEP about not calling on me. I dont think my teacher knows. I always answer the best I can but it makes me feel so anxious and I sometimes dont say the right words. I feel embarrassed about it.

shootingstar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2019, 10:26 pm

As a teacher, I know that important information about kids, including their IEPs is often not shared with us in a timely manner. The beginning of the year is also hard, because even if we have the info, we have over 100 new kids and we have no idea who is who. All this to say, your teacher may not realize they are violating your IEP, and a helpful, “hey my IEP says this” could fix the issue fast. Find a non-chaotic time (I tell my students before school, after school or during lunch) or if it is encouraged at your school use email, and just let your teacher know.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2019, 11:11 pm

shootingstar wrote:
As a teacher, I know that important information about kids, including their IEPs is often not shared with us in a timely manner. The beginning of the year is also hard, because even if we have the info, we have over 100 new kids and we have no idea who is who. All this to say, your teacher may not realize they are violating your IEP, and a helpful, “hey my IEP says this” could fix the issue fast. Find a non-chaotic time (I tell my students before school, after school or during lunch) or if it is encouraged at your school use email, and just let your teacher know.

Thank you. I'm thinking of telling my teacher before class. I feel shy to do that but I would also rather not get called on and mess up my words.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 3:14 am

I would suggest showing your teacher a copy of your IEP, if you can do that.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 10:32 am

If you think it's just that the teacher hasn't read your IEP and you feel uneasy about verbalizing it, you could send an email. That might be an easier way to get your thoughts out and also take the time to elaborate on what you need and what does work for you.

If the teacher read it and doesn't get that some people actually need time to process before responding, come up with a plan for how you can complete equivalent work. Can the teacher give you the lesson the day before so you can be ready with notes if you have to be called on? Can you submit your answer in writing? After you have a plan, write it down and take it with you and set up a meeting with the teacher. By yourself if you are comfortable, or with a parent or guidance counselor.

The teacher is out of compliance if she doesn't follow your IEP, but it is better to approach it as how can she most help you so that she does.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2019, 11:17 am

I would tell the school to tell the teacher about it.
If the school already knows that you're autistic, it's your teacher's job to know about it.

tfw7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2019, 9:45 am

do you have specific link to a teacher/mentor that supports you as part of your IEP - could they speak to this particular teacher you describe?

(I'm a teacher in the UK, so not sure how school systems work in the US)