Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2019, 10:28 am

Prosopagnosia kills most attempts at producing something new. I did take a Betty Edwards art course at one point, and gained the ability to be a moderately acceptable human camera, at least to the point that people could tell what I was looking at when I drew the picture.

I've learned to cheat by assembling a 3D version of a scene on the computer and fiddling with it until it looks about right, then doing a drawing while looking at the screen. It does mean I'm not going to be producing anything which looks more like random art than it looks like a specific thing.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 11:37 am

I'm pretty good.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2019, 12:10 pm

I used to be a pretty good sketch artist, lots of room for improvement with my oil painting ability though. Was excellent with technical drawings, an important career element. Inherited the skill from my parents, father on the technical side and mother for the more artistic things.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 12:21 pm

My drawing ability was always horrible, although I somehow managed to pull a C in drawing assignments in school, and it was one place where my parents let bad grades slide. So it didn't hurt me much in school, and became completely irrelevant once I became an adult.

One place where my bad drawing skills truly hurt me was in therapy. My therapists, that human garbage, often did drawing exercises and tests on me, to "help me express my feelings" :roll:. Now, in therapy drawings, EVERY LITTLE detail matters, ESPECIALLY when drawing people. Excessively big hands? Violent! Excessively big mouth? Aggressive! Poorly defined neck? Immature! Lack of a chimney on a house? Lack of emotional warmth! Presence of a closed door? Poor self-expression! (And the therapist is too stupid and ignorant to care that the house you drew has electrical heating, and wouldn't need a chimney.)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 3:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Not too bad if I'm copying from something, but I don't think I have the talent. I find perspective, shading and background hard to draw. I am good at drawing cartoons though.

Essentially this. I'm better at drawing cartoons, basic logos and patterns than detailed realistic art. One of my favourite projects involved drawing simple monster illustrations. However, I'd like to improve on my drawing ability. Currently I can animate basic things, but I would like to learn how to draw better on a technical level so I can make more interesting animations. My main focus at the moment is learning the code behind making certain items do particular commands in apps or web pages, and if I can gradually learn how to draw better than I could use my own illustrations for some of the effects. The two skills would compliment each other well.

Although, I'm also currently working on my filming and editing ability. So my drawing skill might stay at the level it is at the moment for a while. I find trying to get perspective and shading correct infuriating, I must admit to throwing my drawing paper across the room quite a few times. :lol:

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2019, 4:49 pm

Pretty good, I used to like to draw a lot in school. Been out of practice for a long time, though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 9:26 pm

Not very good.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2019, 9:46 pm

I cant draw or write very well.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2019, 1:52 am

Dial1194 wrote:
Prosopagnosia

Aphantasia, more accurately.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Sep 2019, 2:19 am

I have very hard time translating the 3D world I experience into 2D pictures. As a result, shapes are always wrong. I have learned sort of a cartoon style to visually demonstrate ideas - little in common with the real world and often lopsided but readable for viewers.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 4:46 am

I can draw very well, I specialize especially in portaits :)

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 2:14 pm

^same. I used to love drawing portraits. But i took classes from a small age and my specialty was drawing things i can see. I'm not good at drawing things from my imagination.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 2:17 pm

firemonkey wrote:
What is your drawing ability like?
I can barely draw water from a well.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.