Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dibby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2007, 1:04 am

Crystalmirror wrote:
Like pretty much any AS, I have very limited social skills. The thing about me is, not only do I not know how to make small talk, I find I really have no interest in it. The thought of just chit-chatting bores me to tears. For almost three years, I worked with a case worker at a local mental health agency. She was nice enough, but she put tremendous pressure on me to be more social, which I thought was really unfair. I don't work with her anymore, but I'd like to know how other aspies deal with the idea of socializing. How does everyone else deal with it?

I'm kinda the opposite, in a way. I -want- to be able to talk to people, but similarly, I have limited social skills.

However, when I'm actually in a conversation, I tend to just nod and make small, one-worded replies. I'm really clumsy when it comes to talking.. Being shy doesn't help either. I find it hard to get my thoughts out sometimes, too.

So, I don't know exactly how I handle socializing. It depends, really. If I'm with people I know, I just go with the flow, I guess. If there's even a flow to begin with :P. If I'm around people I don't know, I tend to freeze up.

Cervantes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2007, 1:04 am

I've gotten very good at getting people to talk about themselves. A few directing questions and they'll ramble on forever about whatever is on their minds. If they try to direct the conversation to me, I just make some jokes and move back to them. Depending on the person, a little self-depricating humour will get them to knock off trying to get you to talk.
In group situations I've done pretty well at tossing out a few quick, painfully obvious observations, in order to keep the conversation going and make it appear I'm participating. Otherwise, someone stops halfway through, looks at you, and goes "Well, aren't you the quiet one???" in a loud voice in front of everyone.
Of course, I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I can almost fake being an extrovert, other days I want to stab my eyes out after 5 minutes.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2007, 5:01 pm

it's really simple, just ramble on about random things that happened that day or the previous day and don't think about the next thing to say but just let words come out of your mouth... its almost too easy, i just find it to be painfully boring.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 5:36 pm

Aradford wrote:
it's really simple, just ramble on about random things that happened that day or the previous day and don't think about the next thing to say but just let words come out of your mouth... its almost too easy, i just find it to be painfully boring.

that works well, right up until you say that one thing that freaks them out and sends them running to the hills...

Demonic_Duck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2007, 5:43 pm

I like sociallising. But it can get boring and tiring after a while. But even if you don't enjoy it at all, it's kind of something you'll have to do. It's the way you make friends. The best you can do is just grin and bear it.

Crystalmirror
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2007, 7:09 pm

Thanks everybody. I didn't expect this many replies. I guess I brought up a pretty interesting subject. :)